• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • motorcarman

Compulsive Collector
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 13, 2015
    Rural Wise County, TX.
    I'm vehemently against illegal aliens being allowed to stay in this country, but not teaching your kids your native language is not a smart move. Being able to speak another language fluently is a huge benefit for the mind and the child's future. This has nothing to do with 'fitting in' or multiculturalism.

Apparently my wife's family did not see it that way back in the 1940s and 1950s. I guess they were tired of German , Italian, Polish, Mexican etc. Neighborhoods and the language barriers they presented. They wanted to be AMERICAN and not Hyphenated-American so I get why they did what they did.

Yea looking back it might have been an advantage in life but people do things for their own reason.

Regular Americans probably pointed and laughed at the immigrants inability to communicate and they did NOT want that for their kid. My mother-in-law said she did not speak English until she went to Kindergarten. It must have been tough.

bob
    Lynx Defense

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    My family took a similar approach. In their minds, they weren't going back, so English it was. I never heard my grandparents' native tongues spoken. However, when I was in school I found myself interested in learning a second language. I picked one I never use, but it felt good to be able to effectively communicate in a second language. I could still get by if the opportunity were there.

zincwarrior

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Texas, land of Tex-Mex
    My wife's mom is Ukrainian but born here in the US (The only one in her family). They did the Ellis Island thing back in the 1920s. She married and had children (including my wife) but her and her husband (my wife's dad) refused to teach them Ukrainian. She could not talk to her grandmother (Nanny) without her mom interpreting English.

I asked my wife's mom why she never spoke Ukrainian to the children and she said "We are Americans and we live here in the US". My wife really wishes she had learned Ukrainian but all the old family has passed away. Seems like the immigrants that came here 'way-back-when' wanted to assimilate and FIT-IN. Now they demand that we structure our world around THEM.

Multiculturalism is a detriment to any society.

bob

Tell her not to get her nose asnoot at her mom. By 3rd gen, the family typically speaks nothing of the old language.
    In my instance Mom could speak Lithuanian, and of course Louisiana French, but she already could not speak German with her grandparents (but she learned how to make German desserts! YES!). I can't speak anything but Texan even though Grandpa spoke Lithuanian, German, Polish, and Russian, nor can I speak French like my mom could.

zincwarrior

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Texas, land of Tex-Mex
    What chaps my old butt is the illegals from Mexico pretend to love this country but when protests break out, they all have their Mexican flags out!

What should really chap you is those aren't the illegals. Most illegals didn't come from Mexico. They come from Central America (here) Europe and Asia in other parts of the US.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    What should really chap you is those aren't the illegals. Most illegals didn't come from Mexico.
    Then why would they be waving the MEXICAN flag??
    He's right... Most of those out in the street waiving the Mexican flag around aren't even here illegally. Most are 2nd or 3rd gen Americans. We're seeing a weird trend these days where the kids or grandkids of immigrants are the ones that are becoming radical about "the old country".

Chapped isn't quite the right word.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    TheDan,

I suspect that your comment is 100% correct.

In my case, it saddens me that my father (who was a full-blood & fluent in our NA language) went out of his way to assure that my sister & I didn't learn to speak any Tsalagiyi.
    (The few words/phrases that I learned from NA boyhood friends, when we spent Summers in OK, are things that got my mouth washed-out with laundry soap by my Grandmother.)

yours, satx

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    He's right... Most of those out in the street waiving the Mexican flag around aren't even here illegally. Most are 2nd or 3rd gen Americans. We're seeing a weird trend these days where the kids or grandkids of immigrants are the ones that are becoming radical about "the old country".

Chapped isn't quite the right word.

That's cause they've never had to live in the old country.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    AmyG
    Top Bottom