• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CyberWolf

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2018
    US
    just my .02 -

For me the issue isn't so much length of vid as the relevance, quality & presentation of content, and sidebars are ok if on-point and return to the main topic.

If its a subject that takes an hour to cover effectively, then I don't want to blow through it in 5 minutes with bad lighting. Likewise, sometimes it only takes a few minutes to review/demonstrate something, and I have no patience for 30 minutes of rambling with 30 seconds of real info. (the repetitive ad nauseam comments do get old...yes, we can all see the weapon is clear ;)

That said, I do find that while more prone to rambling, some of the, shall we say, 'less refined' amongst youtube vids occasionally have nuggets that you won't find in most written/sponsored reviews, which as others have previously stated, is related to product sponsorship concerns. (which I personally think is more about many not knowing how to write a focused, helpful and positive, yet balanced paid/sponsored review, which is something of an art...).
    Hurley's Gold

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    What also bugs me is the fall of content after demonetization. Gun channels were and are treated like a business. That’s fine and you don’t have to like them. What bothered me is most of these guys I’m sure have to be retired or have a job. It takes a lot of views to make serious money on YouTube alone. Once channels stopped making money from YouTube, the people who liked giving us content kept and the please donate to me types slowed down content. That’s why I like Ian from forgotten weapons. Supposedly an engineer, works a real job, has voiced his love of collecting and sharing knowledge before it’s lost. Not once to my knowledge did he ask for hand outs.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    What's a utube? (no answer necessary, I just figured it out).
    A utube is an amateur video of some fool cramming 3 to 5 minutes of decent information into 45 minutes! :green:

Also a platform allowing conservative media to outperform mainstream media in every category and typically far more accurately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    I must be weird but I have no problem watching an hour long video on something I'm interested in. I watch very little TV so this is its replacement I suppose. But it's focused and about things I want to learn more about. Does somebody like IV8888 or Paul Harrell ramble on too much at times? Yeah but usually there's a lot of useful information in there. I also don't mind Paul reading off the chrono every shot. *Shrug*

Two channels I think are decent for shorter format videos: The Firearms Blog and Lucky Gunner. Lucky Gunner's channel I think is very well done without a lot of fluff. They have things like product reviews, ammo testing, discussing different types of carry methods and guns and shooting drills. Their Start Shooting Better series has been really helpful.

As I said before, beats watching network TV re-runs by far.

Army 1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    I just wish these folks would plan their videos better.
    Plan the video shots better and at least outline if not script their narration.

The video in post 51 seemed good. It was scripted, planed, and edited to a coherent product .

Every prop on the table was used and there were no extra props. Two pistols , two rifles, two boxes of ammo and two rifle cartridges.

I would have liked to have seem closeups of the boxed ammo so I could read the end flaps.

Closeups of the two exemplar rifle rounds would have been nice also.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Nobody will make a YouTube vid that everyone likes and YouTube vids are a pain in the ass to produce and edit. The guys that can make a video that resembles anything more than an awkward rambling session with poor audio have gotten further than 95% of you tubers.

I may not like everyone’s format, but I can see the effort that’s been out in to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big Green

In Christ Alone
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 5, 2018
    College Station
    I also don’t have TV so I watch a fair amount of YT in the evenings on the weekends after the kids are in bed.

I can deal with some long ones and others aren’t long enough. Generally if I’m watching a video about a particular weapon it’s because I’m already interested. I need a down and dirty review or an interesting in-depth.

Demolition Ranch is still a fun one to watch. Or at least the old ones when they were still made often and monetized.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Because the videos are about them, not the guns.

It's about the ad revenue. It's easy to find videos with people bragging about buying a car from YouTube money. It's not so much about themselves. Even less about the gun. It's all about money.

Otherwise they wouldn't be doing it on the scale they do. $$$$$$

Top Bottom