• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pawnshop

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 8, 2008
    I would advise against a Hi-Point just because the average cop will think "HOOD RAT" when he sees it. Right or wrong, that is the way it is.
    Venture Surplus ad

Mark F

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2008
    I have a Taurus 4510 (Judge) and it's OK. I certainly wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of it! I keep mine loaded with #4 shot. Occasionally I will put 000 buck in, it but the #4 makes a lot bigger mess.

45's are OK too, but 410's are a lot more devistating.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I'd just choose to carry on person. If I put anything in my car, provided I lived in the country, it'd be a 12 gauge for snakes / random critters.

jones creek kid

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    El Campo
    back in the day truck gun

Part of me is just sad that times have so changed. When i was young my dad had the back window gun rack and it always had a rifle and shot gun on it. He never worried about it getting stolen and nothing ever happened ... you know he didn't even have tinted windows to hide them and neither did any of his friends that all had guns in their trucks.

I even read a article the other day about ccw on campuses and as it stated if students at UT didn't have rifles and other guns in their dorm rooms the sniper would most likely have taken out many many more kids.

just my thoughts on our times

ps still waiting on my ccw ...hey its only been 5 months and when i called they told me it was processing fine but couldn't give me a date.

brokeaton

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Truck Gun

In Texas the best truck gun is and always has been a shotgun and there are more good cheap pumps on the market now than there has ever been. plus if some slime breaks into your truck it's hard to look cool walking down the street with a Shotgun. If you are creative there is plenty of places to stow a shotgun in your truck.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Gladewater, TX
    I would advise against a Hi-Point just because the average cop will think "HOOD RAT" when he sees it. Right or wrong, that is the way it is.

Can't help but disagree with you on this one. Just becasue a gun is inexpensive, or ugly dosen't make you out to be a "hood rat". I've never had any issue with an LEO or anyone else for that matter think i am a hood rat. Do you have any good reason that carrying an HP makes the owner hood-ish?

bertel

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    South Austin
    your life trusted to an el cheapo

I had the same thought at one point in time. During my decision making process, a stoopidassed kid down the street broke into my jeep, destroyed my plastic console, and got away with my maglight and a set of nice darts................ I replaced that console with a Tuffy console made of solid steel and a great locking mechanism. With no top and no doors, I leave my Kimber in it on a daily basis while at work.
    Buy a Tuffy type box to replace your glove box, or console, and buy a blaster that you would trust your kids' life with.

Pawnshop

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 8, 2008
    Can't help but disagree with you on this one. Just becasue a gun is inexpensive, or ugly dosen't make you out to be a "hood rat". I've never had any issue with an LEO or anyone else for that matter think i am a hood rat. Do you have any good reason that carrying an HP makes the owner hood-ish?

I am not saying that owning a HP MAKES you a hood rat, or that YOU own one to look like a hoodrat, but that will be the first impression of the cops you encounter. You ever watch COPS or the other real cop shows (The First 48 etc...)? Hi-Points have become a cultural icon for the hood rats, 9 out of 10 times thay pull a gun out of a crack house it is a Hi-Point, along with thousands of dollars cash, they can buy a more expensive gun but they choose not to, because it fits the image.

awmp

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2008
    870 shotgun can take care of pretty much anything your run into, slugs/buck shot, if not you are in really bad shape

In Texas the best truck gun is and always has been a shotgun and there are more good cheap pumps on the market now than there has ever been. plus if some slime breaks into your truck it's hard to look cool walking down the street with a Shotgun. If you are creative there is plenty of places to stow a shotgun in your truck.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Gladewater, TX
    I am not saying that owning a HP MAKES you a hood rat, or that YOU own one to look like a hoodrat, but that will be the first impression of the cops you encounter. You ever watch COPS or the other real cop shows (The First 48 etc...)? Hi-Points have become a cultural icon for the hood rats, 9 out of 10 times thay pull a gun out of a crack house it is a Hi-Point, along with thousands of dollars cash, they can buy a more expensive gun but they choose not to, because it fits the image.

I see your point. And i guess i didn't realize HP got this much air time. not exactly in the best light i guess.

txsyotehntr

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2008
    I carry a Kimber Raptor as my "truck gun" because it is comfortable and concealable in the truck. I will not say anything negative about less expensive guns but I want something I don't even have to think about and a 1911 is my choice.

target4fun

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2008
    San Antonio
    Depends on application.

A decent revolver would work well no longer than 4" so you can present the firearm quickly if needed. Shotgun's/Rifles that are in the trunk dont help you if your getting car jacked or have a problem that needs you to take out a firearm quickly. If there was one revolver I would pick I would probably pick "the judge".

If your talking about a ranch gun thats a different story I would go with a rifle then prob a Ruger 10/22 or cheap used sks/ak.

Pawnshop

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 8, 2008
    Depends on application.

A decent revolver would work well no longer than 4" so you can present the firearm quickly if needed. Shotgun's/Rifles that are in the trunk dont help you if your getting car jacked or have a problem that needs you to take out a firearm quickly. If there was one revolver I would pick I would probably pick "the judge".

If your talking about a ranch gun thats a different story I would go with a rifle then prob a Ruger 10/22 or cheap used sks/ak.

What shot load would you use in the Judge? They use bird shot in the demo video on Taurus's website, it looks impressive on a shoot-n-see but is totaly inefective on anything but birds and snakes. Has anyone done a penetration test on buckshot from a Judge?

Hochdruck

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2008
    Cypress, TX
    Pawn shop special Marlin/Glenfield in 30-30 carbine length....

Cheap reliable and don't have to explain anything with it in the back of the truck or jeep.
    Also handy at the ranch on the weekends.

short enough to grab in hurry from the front but not as convenient as a pistol.

target4fun

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2008
    San Antonio
    For the Judge I would try out both Slugs and #4 or #5 shot. I would also go for the Judge that has a 3" not the 2.5". It would be interesting to have the first few shots with #4 shot and then follow up with slugs.

Pawnshop

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 8, 2008
    from what i understand they aren't selling the Judge with the 3" chamber. I have been looking for one and all the dealers i have spoken to have to me pretty much the same.

The 3" Judge DOES exist, I have transfered a couple for customers, I have only seen them in the lightweight frame though.

I would not use .410 slugs instead of .45 Colt rounds, if a single a solid projectile is what you want to fire.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Gladewater, TX
    The 3" Judge DOES exist, I have transfered a couple for customers, I have only seen them in the lightweight frame though.

I would not use .410 slugs instead of .45 Colt rounds, if a single a solid projectile is what you want to fire.

RIght on. I had been rudely told on another forum that the 3" chambered Judge was unavailiable. Now that i know it exists i want one even more.

why do you recomend the .410 slug as opposed to the .45LC? and what kind of shotshells would you recomend?

Top Bottom