• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tanker1983

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    Copperas Cove, TX
    I can only speak for my 2. Not dozens or more. I have an Ultra Carry and an Ultra Carry II. I have run 800 rounds or so through each. Never a hiccup. They are my EDC when I am not carrying my Sig Sauer P238.

What is he asking? $775.00 would be the upper limit. And that is if he has a couple extra mags, hard case, manual and maybe a holster. Always try to get the goodies, too.

45K20E4

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Arlington
    Sorry guys, I can't help but snicker when I hear that someone has 500, 900, or even 1500 rnds through thier 1911. I've had my Kimber Target for for 13 years, and I bought it from a friend who owned it for two before that. I have put somewhere north of 15K rounds through it. My only issues have been a broken extractor about 3000 rounds (replaced with Wilson BP) and my springs starting to wear out (just got a Wolff kit the other day). I will note that the finish was soft on it, and I ended up having it hard chromed.

"Supposedly" the newer Kimbers are not as good as the older ones. But I have not had occasion to shoot a newer one, so it's just a rumor AFAIK. Kimber's big problem IMO is that back in the day I feel they were the best of the "standard" 1911s and there was a big jump in price between a them, and anything like a Wilson, STI, SVI, etc. Now, their prices have gone up, and companies like STI are making cheaper versions that are a definite step up in quality for no extra money.

For anyone wanting a NEW budget 1911, my current answer would likely be the new Ruger SR1911 (still need to get my hands on one, but the feedback I am getting is very positive). But if they are willing to drop a grand on a Kimber, I would recommend they go get an STI Trojan for the same money.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Ah dunno....ah've got an SIS you'd have to kill me ta git away from me.....an' <ahem> several others, as well! anim_kill.jpg

cog099

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    Austin
    My two timbers have been flawless. I have an ultra carry exactly like the one your buying, and an Eclipse Target II. My Eclipse is even the old evil external extract style!
    That being said, I to agree with the above post, for the money the STI's are better. STI designs are not for everyone, but you don't need to worry if you are gonna get a bad one. My first model was a Spartan which is their lowest model and it shoots circles around my Eclipse Target II

NoLove

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2011
    Corpus Christi
    I have the Ultra TLE 2 and love everything about it except I think that the finish on the frame is poor to say the least. Very fast holster wear and if it brushes anything but my skin it scratches the finish. Was going to send it back and have it redone in Kimpro but have heard multiple issues with that finish too.

barhob

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2009
    new braunfels
    After seeing Tackleberry's 1911 collection---i regret selling any of the 1911's i have had over the past 30 years.
    only have four left.
    shame on me !!!

PocketGroove

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2009
    DFW
    For me, it was a toss up between the more expensive ultra covert, the super carry ultra (worst name ever! lol), and the ultra cdp ii.

Super Carry Ultra instantly wasn't my style the second i picked it up. So it was between the covert and cdp. The only different between the covert and cdp is the fancy paint, laser grips, and ramped sights vs. one hand rackable sights. I went CDP and only spent 900 with military discount. =) After 5 years, I'm sick of digital camo crap. ...makes me think of work.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    ".... companies like STI are making cheaper versions that are a definite step up in quality for no extra money."

It just bugs the hell out of me that these are built on Armscor frames and assembled in the Philippines. WTF?!?!

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    I can see that. Have you considered paintin' yer toenails purple as well? They say Zombie camo is the most effective....

Then again, camo HAS ta be good - look at all the LEO's on raids with their camo on.....raidin' a house in the middle of a subdivision!lol!!!!!

Ha ha, no toenail paint.

LEO's should dress up as soccer mom's if they want to blend in with suburbia. I mean, that's the whole point of camo right? Blending in?

I can see it now, soccer mom with a jogging stroller coming down the block - no wait, it's SWAT! - pull out their M16s, kick open the front door and raid the house with curlers still in their hair

Top Bottom