• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    There's a petition with at least 65k signatures - guess that's not enough?

Good guess. Petitions are more worthless than used toilet paper, and online ones even more so since anyone can sign them, fake them etc. Politicians understand two things 1) $$$, 2) There phone is ringing off the hook. You need 1 or 2 to get OC.

Where did you get the 100k number? I mean that seriously.

Past experience with CHL.

Rifleman55

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    It's a situation of "pick your battles". Open carry is a hot issue, but if you get movement on some of these OTHER ares, then you have a better shot at coming back ti open carry at a later date...or at least that is the line of thought they are using. I think going to open carry and addressing each of these as a PART of open carry would be a better approach, and so do a couple os State Senators I know and have talked to about it.

If we keep these things stirred up on boards and media, then it makes it REAL hard to get a good bill put together by those who are inclined to do so without having everyone trying to take it apart before it is even on paper...
    I believe that we will get open carry some day, but I think that the Parking lot and Campus rules need to be addressed first. Many times we gun owners shoot ourselves in the foot with our demands. We will get our rights back a little at a time.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Well, the fact is, that it "is" a "all or nothing" deal. I can tell you, from being involved in Arizona legislation, that there is no harm in fighting for everything you want.

There is in Texas. Since legislature only meets every other year for 120 days, and there are so many other issues, you need to have your ducks all lined up. You cannot show up with 75 pro-gun bills and expect an audience. I am gonna guess the number of people who want OC enough to actually write a letter or make a phone call is less than 5,000. Peanuts in a state with 25 million people many of who are unemployed, need tax relief, etc.

randmplumbingllc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    El Paso
    There is in Texas. Since legislature only meets every other year for 120 days, and there are so many other issues, you need to have your ducks all lined up. You cannot show up with 75 pro-gun bills and expect an audience. I am gonna guess the number of people who want OC enough to actually write a letter or make a phone call is less than 5,000. Peanuts in a state with 25 million people many of who are unemployed, need tax relief, etc.

Well, the FIRST thing the legislature needs to do, is stop treating Texas like a part time job ! I would venture that there is enough "work" to keep them busy EVERY year. What is the deal with that anyway ? For a State this size, it should be a no brainer to have a session every year.

You are correct that 75 pro gun bills won't be heard, but SOME will. You are correct that thousand of signatures don't mean much either. What works are phone calls and emails. You can't ignore hundreds or thousands of calls and emails a day. We emiled the AZ legislature so much, that some of their systems crashed. They BEGGED us to stop. They have to have someone read them. Either way, your rep will get the idea that this is important.

I think your "5 thousand that want OC" number is waaaay low. Live a little closer to the border and the illigal drug trade and see what you think then. If a poll was done on THIS site, I would venture that 75%, or more, would support OC. Maybe not a letter or call, but would email.

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    If a poll was done on THIS site, I would venture that 75%, or more, would support OC. Maybe not a letter or call, but would emal.
    I did a poll. Currently running. Gun Legislation forum here.

pole..jpg

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Well, the FIRST thing the legislature needs to do, is stop treating Texas like a part time job !

No thank you. The less time in session the better. This is one of the good things about Texas.

As for 5,000 number, I will call my rep tomorrow and ask how many calls/letters he has gotten about the issue since last session.

randmplumbingllc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    El Paso
    No thank you. The less time in session the better. This is one of the good things about Texas.

As for 5,000 number, I will call my rep tomorrow and ask how many calls/letters he has gotten about the issue since last session.

Why is that ? They MIGHT actually get something done, meeting every year !

The difference from getting a few calls and emails, a few at a time and getting an organized group of hundreds or thousands at a time, is HUGE. That is why we need a group, like AZCDL here. There is strength in numbers.

[BoT] Jack

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Bastrop, Texas
    Think I'll start a poll thread here and on a couple other boards to get a tentive count on how many people may be interested in forming a TCDL. It may be a few hours, got a couple of honey-do's to take care of first.
    No poll necessary, we should just get it started. Then we can worry about recruitment later. My mother is a part of several large networks with people that are very likely to be receptive to our cause. I can use her to help recruit. Though don't expect a massive turnout, we'll be doing pretty good if we get five new members. But it will be a start.

Cliffh

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    North Texas
    I'm of two minds on the legislature meeting every year. They could get more done meeting every year, but that may not be a good thing. The more bills, etc. they pass, the more laws there are - and that's not necessarily a good thing.

Matefrio's poll shows that there are a lot of folks who would like to have OC. We now need to motivate those folks and get them to start writing and/or calling their rep's.

Renegade: have you called and/or written your rep?

I agree on asking for the moon. There's no sense asking for just a little, as stated above: if you ask for peanuts, all you'll get is peanuts. Ask for everything and see what sticks. If the legislature has 75 bills to consider, some are bound to get through - hopefully more than if they just have one or two to consider.

MR Redneck

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    The great country of West Texas
    Why is that ? They MIGHT actually get something done, meeting every year !

The difference from getting a few calls and emails, a few at a time and getting an organized group of hundreds or thousands at a time, is HUGE. That is why we need a group, like AZCDL here. There is strength in numbers.
    Your absolutly right Randm... There has actually been a lot of issues over the years with Texas legislature meeting every two years. After all , you would think a state as large as Texas would put more attention to laws and legislation.
    People like you are a credit to the Great State of Texas, no matter where you come from. Hold tight and hang on, cause were fixin to launch a new era of Legislature in Texas...

Cliffh

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    North Texas
    [BoT] Jack;189772 said:
    No poll necessary, we should just get it started. Then we can worry about recruitment later. My mother is a part of several large networks with people that are very likely to be receptive to our cause. I can use her to help recruit. Though don't expect a massive turnout, we'll be doing pretty good if we get five new members. But it will be a start.

Thank you Sir. Your Mother and yourself sound like just the kind of people TXCDL needs.

The main reason for the poll wasn't really to see how many want it, my objective was more to start letting folks know we're getting it off the ground and give them some contact points. And so that others can see that there are in fact people already onboard; might help motivate them.

AZCDL's policy of only having a few meetings per year sounds solid. The folks I know aren't much into monthly meetings and such. Seems to me as if people could get burned out attending too many meetings. There would have to be a few fairly close together in the beginning so everyone could get to know other members, pick officials etc.

Cliffh

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    North Texas
    Yes, my reps are Laubenberg and Estes and there numbers are in my phone. Don't call as much in the off year, but as we head in to the session, I call/write several times.

You've gone at least one step farther than I; my rep's numbers aren't in the phone (yet), still have to look them up on the listing on my computer. :-)

Cliffh

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    North Texas
    Looks like both of mine are up for election this year; Duell & Flynn. It doesn't seem as if Flynn's going to have a hard time getting re-elected - there's nobody running against him.

Cliffh

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    North Texas
    Regarding TXCDL meetings; in AZ one can drive from Flagstaff to Phoenix in a couple of hours, it takes a bit more time to get around in TX.

Top Bottom