Lynx Defense

WTB Mosin Nagant 91/30 Rifle (East Houston/Baytown)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    WANTED: RUSSIAN MOSIN NAGANT 91/30 RIFLE IN 7.62X54R.....EAST HOUSTON

Hi Guys,

I'd like to buy a M/N 91/30 (long) rifle for a range shooter. I'll list what I'm looking for and while I sound picky, I'm not....snicker. I have my CHL to prove that I'm an eligible buyer and would prefer that you have one, too. Before our forum dumped personal recommendations, I had 100% positive comments. I'm a straight shooter. Please be the same.

Deal Breakers:
    Must have all original parts, not cut or modified.
    Refinished stock is OK as long as it's not cracked, had excessive sanding or with parts missing.
    No counter bored muzzles. If you take a cartridge put the bullet end in the muzzle and it sinks down to the case neck, It's counterbored.
    Good, clean, shiny bore (shows that you cleaned it!).
    Safe operation with no safety compromises.
    Must be FTF in East Houston or a short drive. Our local gun shop charges $50 for transfers (WTH!) Cannot ship.

Preferences (Things that I'd like but not deal breakers.):
    Hex receiver strongly preferred.
    Accessories (bayonet, oil can .....the usual stuff).
    If you've fired it and can show me what it will do, that's even better.
    Price. I'll pay the going rate fair price. You know what that is and so do I. I'm flexible.

NO Preference
    Arsenal marks
    Year of manufacture.

OK...the ball is in your court. Please post here or send me a PM. THANKS!

Flash
    Lynx Defense

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    The Arms Room in League City has an opened crate of them on the sales floor. $125 if I remember correctly. Bunch of them in there, hex receivers, don't think the bottom row of them has been taken out yet.

As far as you local gun shop charging $50, find another FFL. That is absurd for the Houston area. You should be paying about $20 and not driving more than 15 minutes to do so.

Put you zip code in this link and find a guy who is not trying to screw you on fees.
    http://www.gunbroker.com/FFL/DealerNetwork.aspx

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Thanks for the information. I live in a rural area on the east side and must drive 20 miles round trip to get to that $50 transfer nonsense. I don't have a lot of options for other dealers here.

For some reason, dealers don't want you to pick a rifle from their stock. They want you to take the top one or will sell them in a sealed cardboard box so you can't look at them. That's crap and I'm not going to do it that way. I don't know what difference it makes to them but it makes a difference to me.

In competition, I've earned three certificates to buy rifles from the CMP. When you buy from them, it's luck of the draw and you get what you get. I've never used any of my certificates.

If a member here has a good, solid shooter M/N 91-30, I'm interested.

Flash

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    If you're gonna catch Mosinitis, get your 03 FFL (C&R).

While hex receivers are less common, there's really no difference between them and the round ones other than that (rarity).

Secondly, mixed parts on a Mosin is not that big of an issue. Remember that Russian armorers often swapped parts out on these. I have numerous Mosins that don't match and they work find.

Thirdly, counterbored is not a bit deal either. It is not an indication of a "shot out" barrel as some think, most times it's due to cleaning damage. You want to focus on rifling more than anything else (even pits and frosting), and sometimes even poor rifling can be improved with a good cleaning.

Lastly, remember these are not sniper rifles in the modern sense. Don't expect great results, just a ass-kicking round that will knock the shit out of whatever it hits! They're great rifles with a long history, and collecting them can be very addictive...

Cheers! M2

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    If you're gonna catch Mosinitis, get your 03 FFL (C&R).

While hex receivers are less common, there's really no difference between them and the round ones other than that (rarity).

Secondly, mixed parts on a Mosin is not that big of an issue. Remember that Russian armorers often swapped parts out on these. I have numerous Mosins that don't match and they work find.

Thirdly, counterbored is not a bit deal either. It is not an indication of a "shot out" barrel as some think, most times it's due to cleaning damage. You want to focus on rifling more than anything else (even pits and frosting), and sometimes even poor rifling can be improved with a good cleaning.

Lastly, remember these are not sniper rifles in the modern sense. Don't expect great results, just a ass-kicking round that will knock the shit out of whatever it hits! They're great rifles with a long history, they're a blast to shoot and collecting them can be very addictive...

Cheers! M2

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Thanks for the info. I don't care much for the round receivers as they are pretty rough in finish. It's just a preference. Same goes for the counter bored muzzle. I just prefer that they not be C'bored. I'm not fussy but if I'm gonna specify my preferences.....may as well be honest, right?

OK.....batter up!

Flash

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    Saw a bunch at the High Caliber Gun show in Conroe last weekend. I think they will be at the GRB downtown this weekend, that would be a good place to look.

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Thanks!

I checked out the Arms Room site. They get $50 for a transfer with a CHL or $60 without a CHL. Range memberships are $500-1500/year. Yikes!

Flash

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    Thanks!

I checked out the Arms Room site. They get $50 for a transfer with a CHL or $60 without a CHL. Range memberships are $500-1500/year. Yikes!

Flash

Well Flash, my tip was go by there and possibly buy one, not use them for a transfer.

There are dozens of guys closer to you that are cheaper on the transfers. I just thought you wanted the opportunity to look at a 3/4 filled crate of them, pick through them and select the one you want. With their price, and the amount of money your dealer charges, you will need to pay less than $80 including shipping for one to break even.

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    my tip was go by there and possibly buy one, not use them for a transfer.

OK, I gotcha. I can still do that. If the price is competitive, I'll look into it. Their other prices put me into shock! Thanks!

Flash

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    Post #2 said $125. If you do some math and subtract your $50 FFL fee, do you really think you are gonna get a pick of the litter Mosin shipped for <$75??

Drive over there and check them out and possibly buy one, or wait for the show this weekend at the GRB, and save $5-20 off the price of the rifle, of course you will eat up that savings on the parking and entrance fees of about $18.

Or keep posting and maybe Santa Claus will give you a deal on the one he got from the Easter Bunny for a fraction of what he would sell it to someone else for.

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    I just called the Arms Room and they said only one round receiver rifle was left.

Flash

I thought you said you wanted a hex receiver, not a round one?????

Yeah here it is...................

Preferences (Things that I'd like but not deal breakers.):
    Hex receiver strongly preferred.

Now if that means they sold all those guns this past weekend but one, WOW. Some people like their prices, and are willing to shop there.

Top Bottom