• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I could eat fruit cake year round, but it reminds me of my mom father who liked it! He mostly got really shitty ones that might have been gifted! We ate them together after they had a proper soaking. Some got rum other whiskey, but he did it on each one before we would eat them. It was the only way I ever seen him use alcohol other then a toddy when sick.
    I think many people would soak a fruitcake in some sort of alcohol to make them edible!

My wife's sister makes a rum cake that is out of this world good. We get one from her right before Christmas.
    DK Firearms

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    I think many people would soak a fruitcake in some sort of alcohol to make them edible!

My wife's sister makes a rum cake that is out of this world good. We get one from her right before Christmas.
    I thought the booze was to preserve it! I was never served a chunk of fruitcake until I bought my own. Fruit cakes aint cheap & the slices served meant it was around for a while. It could be why there are lots of haters of fruit cake. Eat a piece that had not been properly soaked might have turned up some pretty nasty cake a month later!

mroper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Katy, TX
    I think these replaced the ham and MFs. I recall the chopped ham and eggs having a greenish tinge to them. Heating, if ever available, didn't help.
    View attachment 286404
    I liked them. Story around them . I was in College considering if I wanted to be a Cadet or not. So they invited me out to the field I said OK let me go. SO we get loaded on Deuce and a half we get handed c-rations . I got the ham and eggs . Though how nice of the army go give out breakfast like this. I do not know if they did it on purpose of just luck of the draw. Little did I know then that the army doesn't care if you dont get a breakfast meal at breakfast.

CharlieWH2O

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 14, 2015
    Galveston County
    I liked them. Story around them . I was in College considering if I wanted to be a Cadet or not. So they invited me out to the field I said OK let me go. SO we get loaded on Deuce and a half we get handed c-rations . I got the ham and eggs . Though how nice of the army go give out breakfast like this. I do not know if they did it on purpose of just luck of the draw. Little did I know then that the army doesn't care if you dont get a breakfast meal at breakfast.
    C-rats in the Marine Corps were issued by opening the box from the bottom and then each man passing by in line and drawing their unknown ration in turn. There would be quite a bit of swapping going on after. I never was able to find anyone who wanted to trade for the ham and eggs.

bbbass

Looking Up!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2020
    NE Orygun
    Our family was always gifted a fruitcake or two at Christmas time, one from the relatives on the East Coast for sure every year. Ugh!!!! It might have been ok if the bakers had skipped that friggin fruit!

Now, I like homemade rum or brandy balls, with 3 or 4 times as much booze as the recipe calls for, but alas alcohol consumption in verboten on orders from my liver doc. Bummer.

bbbass

Looking Up!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2020
    NE Orygun
    Worst food? ..... Jack In The Box tacos! They used to be $1 for two and I would get $6 worth. But either my tastebuds changed or they changed over from horsemeat and started using dogmeat taco mix a few years back.

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    As a kid, I was often starving so me an C-Rations got along just fine.

I also like institutional food.

Seems starving in the past does wonders for one's appetite...

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Worst food? ..... Jack In The Box tacos! They used to be $1 for two and I would get $6 worth. But either my tastebuds changed or they changed over from horsemeat and started using dogmeat taco mix a few years back.
    The wife was the JIB taco junky, and I was the Taco Bell taco junky! We would have to go through both drive-thru's on a taco run!

RevolverGuy

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2013

Those things are disgusting.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas

The JITB near my old place in Long Beach would put lettuce on the tacos before dunking them in the deep fryer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bbbass

Looking Up!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2020
    NE Orygun
    The wife was the JIB taco junky, and I was the Taco Bell taco junky! We would have to go through both drive-thru's on a taco run!

Taco Hell tacos are just OK. I'm a vinegar lover, so I dig the hot sauce used on the JIB tacos. Even the wilted lettuce. lolz.

When Taco Time first came out, I didn't like their Original sauce, but now a combo meat and bean burrito, and a soft taco (a $10 meal... :o) with lots of extra Original is just the ticket.

I had a Double Whopper meal the other day... $11.

Livin the dream. :what:

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Nope replace the scrapple for Taylor Ham (pork Roll) and you have a great breakfast
    Few people in Texas ever had Taylor Pork Roll. It was new to me until my apprenticeship as a meat cutter started in the cold deli. IIRC it was expensive way back then! Another old school deli product was Lebanon Bologna

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    Jack in the box tacos use to be a stapple for a group of us in the Army. Put down 4 of them and it would soak up the mass quantities of alcohol we consumed. No hangovers. I have no idea what kind of meat is in those things. I assumed cat or dog. Smothered in hot sauce while drunk they were better than a MRE!

Last edited:

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Jack in the box tacos use to be a stapple for a group of us in the Army. Put down 4 of them and it would soak up the mass quantities of alcohol we consumed. No hangovers. I have no idea what kind of meat is in those things. I assumed cat or dog. Smothered in hot sauce while drunk they were better than a MRE!
    Rumors were, it was horsemeat!

But that is just a rumor!

Top Bottom