• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AustinN4

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    Now that some of you have been using it for nearly a year, what is your long-term verdict?

I am on Win 7 and it will continue to be supported on my current machine until 2020 AIUI.

My Win 7 machine is 5 years old and continues to work great. Will it last 4 more years? Probably as I am a light user - word processing, spreadsheets, email, RAW file (photos) processing and storage, and web browsing.
    Texas SOT

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Good to hear that Win7 will be supported until 2020. That's four more years of linux gui development that'll be done before I have to switch ;)

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    I have updated 12 computers with windows 10 and had very few hiccups. One had to do with unsupported video card in an ancient machine so cant really blame Windows 10 and in the end it worked fine with the card but took lots of digging to find the answers.

I had 1 hard drive on a 2 year old machine bite the dust soon after adding Windows 10 it would make the drive run at 100% again it may have been the drive going out before adding window 10 and that much work just finished it off ;).

After you follow the web pages that show you how to turn off all the crap that may or may not spy on you I have had no issues with it on my own personal equipment and like it a lot. The main gripe I have with it is you cannot fully turn off Cortana, even off it hogs up ram :(. But it has not bugged me enough to do the "hacks" to shut her down. I guess another would be that some of the stuff you turn off gets turned back on in updates some times or new things are added that need to be turned off.

In my book its good to go

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Microsoft hijacked my computer, rammed W10 into it for about 90 minutes. They say that everything will be in the place that you're used to using it. HA! It was pitiful! It took two weeks to make it work properly. In the meantime, it came up slowly, turned "off", slowly and ran dog slow.

They sent me two Email requests for my opinion of the upgrade. I told them the truth. It wasn't kind or gentle!

Three weeks into this "gift", it's finally back to normal. The system is running slower because kids are out of school and our supposedly "fast" DSL is acting like it ate molasses but that's not Microsoft's fault.

Flash

TexasBrandon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    Salado
    While I don't like Windows (on Mac OS X as we speak), Windows 10 does not in itself run slow, there is more to the story than "I upgraded from Windows 7 to 10 and now stuff is slow." I've upgraded numerous boxes over the last 7 months with no issues. If your computer had issues before it will still have them now. If you had hardware that was in conflict or isn't supported for some reason than those are possible avenues to pursue. Hard Drives? Yep, 7200 RPM is garbage and slow, get an SSD, their prices have dropped so far that they are extremely viable in price.

That being said, Microshaft does try to ram Windows 10 down peoples throats with sneaky attempts at upgrading you. My next computer that I am going to build will be a Win 10 machine simply because of the new Direct X and, believe it or not, your choice, Windows 10 runs significantly better than the old Windows 7 counterpart. This happens every time Microsoft releases something new to the public.

Vista was a failure through and through unless all you did was browse the web and write word documents. 7 Fixed that and 8/8.1 introduced a new feature people whined about because it was new to them. The metro screen may not have been super effective but it was far from being difficult to use. Windows 10 takes what 8 did well and pushes it a step further. My only thing I will have to do is change all the settings for the "spyware" and drop a script to keep Windows 10 from phoning home. If you are on Windows 10, you might want to look into that.

I upgrade a lot of systems but mainly work on networks and teach Cisco courses so I'm by no means an MCSA or MCSE. I am however extremely computer savvy and feel that most complaints are because most people don't bother to do research or try to understand what is going on. The other side of that view is that it should just "work" and I agree completely. It's 2016 and things should just work but sadly, in the software and hardware computer world they don't always work out that way.

Last edited:

ChrisMo68

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2015
    Hurst, TX
    My favorite "feature" of Windows 10, how it complete ignores all group policy regarding Windows updates and just does them when it wants. Open ticket with MS for about a month now. Only work around at this point is to shut down our WSUS server until we have a maintenance window... Guess I shouldn't complain, keeps me employed.

cncfan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2015
    Houston
    I have been using it since it was released to the public. MS did not push it on me I had to do specific steps to get it installed.
    I have had no problems at all with it.

I run a game that will stop working ever so often. Before 10 when the game hung up I had to reboot windows, now the game goes south and windows keeps working. I just start the game again and proceed.

ussoldier1984

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2016
    DFW area
    I have been running windows 10 since the day they released it. I have it on my main custom built gaming pc and two surface 3 pro's I have had no issues on my main computer but the surface pro 3's it was not fun but I blame that on the surface not the operating system. My main rig I have had no major issues at all.

ed308

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    DFW
    I still haven't upgraded my lone Windows computer. Not sure I will either. It's slow enough as it is.

Eli

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2008
    Ghettohood - SW Houston
    W10 is a turd, bogged a machine that runs 7 and 8/8.1 satisfactorily to 486-like speeds.

Good to hear that Win7 will be supported until 2020. That's four more years of linux gui development that'll be done before I have to switch ;)

I switched to Linux - Ubuntu, then Debian - in 2006; Windows has been for compatibility at work but my proprietary stuff finally renders in browsers other than IE.

Eli

AustinN4

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    Thanks to all who have replied, both pro and con. I just can't bring myself to chance messing up a perfectly well running Win 7 machine so I am gonna run it till is dies then deal with whatever is available at that time. I just hope it doesn't die on June 30.

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Thanks to all who have replied, both pro and con. I just can't bring myself to chance messing up a perfectly well running Win 7 machine so I am gonna run it till is dies then deal with whatever is available at that time. I just hope it doesn't die on June 30.

My feelings exactly.
    Toyed with doing a quick upgrade to 10, and then an immediate rollback just to get the system Win 10 fingerprinted.
    But, being it is now a three year old laptop, I'll be sticking with Win 7, and switch when I buy a new one.

Have one "mission critical" program (that also relies upon some older hardware drivers) that I'm not willing to spend hours dicking with ...
    So, I'm going with that old, antiquated business philosophy: buy the software for the task, then use the OS and hardware that it'll run on.

usurp31

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    I'm staying with 7 on mine but upgraded two computers for family members to 10. Had to turn off auto updates during the install because at first I couldn't get either of them to complete the update. Good to hear 7 has support until 2020.

Top Bottom