Texas SOT

Why should I want Windows 10 that MS wants to give me for free?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DubiousDan

Trump 2024
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    San Antonio
    You don't have to upgrade if you don't want to. I read that their giving it away because they are afraid people will stick with Win 7 like so many people stuck with XP after Win 7 came out. I really like Win 7 and will most likely stick with it on most of my computers.

You can get rid of the icon by uninstalling the KB3035583 Windows update.

20532d1433255353-get-windows-10-icon-remove-taskbar-windows-7-8-1-a-uninstall__kb3035583.png
    Hurley's Gold

Last edited:

DubiousDan

Trump 2024
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    San Antonio
    I got Win 7 Pro 64bit on this machine. I love it. But I wont install 10 unless I can keep the programs I already have on it. Namely my games.....Skyrim (all DLCs included), Resident Evil 5, Resident Evil HD Remastered, Ys Origins, Ys Oath in Felgana, Resident Evil Revelations 1 and 2, Mass Effect 1, Mass Effect 2 (Zaeed Massani and Kasumi Goto DLCs), Mass Effect 3 (all DLCs included), Final Fantasy III (NES remake), Final Fantasy VIII, Dragon Age Origins (exp pack and DLCs included), & Dragon Age II. Would be a pain in the butt to have to redownload them all.

From the MS site.

"For details on your specific device and apps, you can use the Get Windows 10 app to do a compatibility check. Click the menu in the upper left of the app, and select “Check your PC” or “Your PC is good to go.” This displays any compatibility issues we find and recommends a resolution; while we don’t have info on every app or device in existence, it provides a comprehensive list of all known potential compatibility issues."

DubiousDan

Trump 2024
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    San Antonio
    RIGHT!! Win 10 is supposed to backtrack a bit to remove some the navigation that works so very well with touch screen devices but sucks with mice and keyboards. But in the short time I tried it... it still sucked.

There is a setting to make it look and act like Win7 and I believe Stardock has an app the will make it look like XP. The only benefit to Win10 that I know of is it boots faster than 7.

DubiousDan

Trump 2024
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    San Antonio
    How did you try it already? I didn't think it was released yet (but soon). Also, if I try it, how do I downgrade back to 7 if I don't like 10?

If you don't have the Win7 DVD you can create a set of back up DVDs or back up your current install of Win7 on an external drive.

Mike1234567

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    South Texas
    There is a setting to make it look and act like Win7 and I believe Stardock has an app the will make it look like XP. The only benefit to Win10 that I know of is it boots faster than 7.

Well then, maybe I'll try it again... just not today... or this week... probably not this month. I have other more important bleeps on my radar.:)

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    I am new to PC's (Previous Mac user) as of this year, so I really only know 8.1.
    I don't game, I really just use it for Internet, listening to music and light use of a Word-type program.

Does anyone believe I will see that big of a change if I upgrade or are there risks that make it not worth it?

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    I am new to PC's (Previous Mac user) as of this year, so I really only know 8.1.
    I don't game, I really just use it for Internet, listening to music and light use of a Word-type program.

Does anyone believe I will see that big of a change if I upgrade or are there risks that make it not worth it?

From your history, and what I've seen of W10, if you can live with Win8.1, IMO you will likely be better off upgrading to W10.

Not so with those whose usage is firmly rooted in years of the Windows OS. Basically the cheese was moved to the moon with 8.x.

If it suits you now, you should be gtg...

Flyingswords

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2012
    Smiths Station AL
    From the MS site.

"For details on your specific device and apps, you can use the Get Windows 10 app to do a compatibility check. Click the menu in the upper left of the app, and select “Check your PC” or “Your PC is good to go.” This displays any compatibility issues we find and recommends a resolution; while we don’t have info on every app or device in existence, it provides a comprehensive list of all known potential compatibility issues."
    I know but I tried to upgrade to 8.1 64bit from 7 it wouldnt let me keep any apps/programs. Even though the assistant said I could keep some of those titles on that list

Ranger60

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Taylor
    Counter to most, I have 8.1 on 3 machines, a tablet, a laptop and a desktop. 7 on another laptop. I will be upgrading all to 10. I still do not understand the hate for 8.1. I did not like the "tiling" either, but two, count them, yes, two mouse clicks and ever machine boots up into the old standard desktop every time with a start menu that just requires a right click. I run Ham Radio software on the desktop and the 7 laptop. The other laptop is my daily machine. The tablet is for traveling and all do what I need.

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    What they are not telling you is that it is really Windows 10 Lite. Most of the features that you depend on will not be included. You will need to buy an upgrade online just to get the features you already have.

Just wait for the first downloaders, and their displeasure over it.

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    What they are not telling you is that it is really Windows 10 Lite. Most of the features that you depend on will not be included. You will need to buy an upgrade online just to get the features you already have.

Any more than the following that you are aware of?
    Thanks ...

• If you have Windows 7 Home Premium, Windows 7 Professional, Windows 7 Ultimate, Windows 8 Pro with Media Center, or Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center and you install Windows 10, Windows Media Center will be removed.
    • Watching DVDs requires separate playback software
    • Windows 7 desktop gadgets will be removed as part of installing Windows 10.
    • Windows 10 Home users will have updates from Windows Update automatically available. Windows 10 Pro and Windows 10 Enterprise users will have the ability to defer updates.
    • Solitaire, Minesweeper, and Hearts Games that come pre-installed on Windows 7 will be removed as part of installing the Windows 10 upgrade. Microsoft has released our version of Solitaire and Minesweeper called the “Microsoft Solitaire Collection” and “Microsoft Minesweeper.”
    • If you have a USB floppy drive, you will need to download the latest driver from Windows Update or from the manufacturer's website.
    • If you have Windows Live Essentials installed on your system, the OneDrive application is removed and replaced with the inbox version of OneDrive.

Lupey

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2014
    THE BLUFF
    Haited win 8 but love win 8.1 pro, I have win 10 technical preview on another machine (amped up windows 8)...... I play bf4, lfd2, wot with no probs on my 8.1 machine....... not going to win 10 unless they give me my Win 7 like start button.............. (using classic shell with 8.1)

DubiousDan

Trump 2024
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    San Antonio

What you get depends on what you have now.

Windows 7 Starter Will get Windows 10 Home
    Windows 7 Home Basic
    Windows 7 Home Premium
    Windows 7 ProfessionalWill get Windows 10 Pro
    Windows 7 Ultimate

Windows Phone 8.1****Windows 10 Mobile
    Windows 8.1***Windows 10 Home
    Windows 8.1 ProWindows 10 Pro
    Windows 8.1 Pro for Students

Last edited:

DubiousDan

Trump 2024
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    San Antonio
    Any more than the following that you are aware of?
    Thanks ...

• If you have Windows 7 Home Premium, Windows 7 Professional, Windows 7 Ultimate, Windows 8 Pro with Media Center, or Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center and you install Windows 10, Windows Media Center will be removed.

This is one reason I won't be switching on one machine because Media Center works well with my TV tuner and I love the TV guide feature.

They will include an app for DVDs
    Windows Media Center is not part of Windows 10 and won’t be available after upgrading to Windows 10. If you use Windows Media Center, we will alert you during upgrade that Windows Media Center is not available on Windows 10. We know that some users use Windows Media Center to play DVDs, and we are providing a free DVD playback app in Windows 10 for Windows Media Center users.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    Win7 is a decent, stable platform.

Win8 was designed for surface machines (where you move things around with your finger, like on a cell phone). The original version was universally hated, so they modified it to be a bit more like Win7. It's OK, but I don't like it. (I have machines running 7 and the latest 8).

Win10 is an absolute screw-you-where-the-sun-doesn't-shine mess. Instead of a resident system, this moves you to "The Cloud". Oh, you don't own it; you rent it. Every bit of software that lets you do anything will be a new charge, and ultimately it will be done with annual fees. Forbes and other entities have warned against moving to it as it's a ploy to keep milking you for money. Stay away like this was a pit bull with AIDS.

Top Bottom