• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cb51

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2017
    Georgetown Tx.
    I didn't know if to post this here or in the CHL forum, so if it's in the wrong spot, could a mod move it as you see fit?

I moved to Texas and bought a home in Georgetown in November of 2015. My better half is from Texas and we met in Maryland in 1994. So when we retired, and were looking to get away from the east coast winters and crime and congestion, she wanted to go back to Texas to be with her two sisters in the Georgeotwn area. I myself was born in Washington D.C. in a not so nice non tourist area in N.E.. Grew up in the bad part of town, and ended up joining the army to get out. Don't have any memories of a father as he got taken down from Hodgkins disease at a young age and it was just me and ma. That's my background for the record. In my teens, I ran the streets of D.C. with the wrong crowd and was on the way to becoming a hoodlum if not for an uncle who came up from Florida where he was retired from the air force. He bounced me off a few walls and told me I was joining either the army, navy, air force or marines. Period. No argument. I joined the army and found other mentors and strained up.

Now, looking back on my life in D.C. and the semi criminal lifestyle I was leading, guns were a part of life. You carried one and that was that. But you never told anyone what you were carrying or where. Gun, knife, whatever. And you always had something on you. Your weapon was concealed and never pulled unless from concealment and used with no threats or speeches. The whole idea was, if it looked like trouble, you slid a hand into a pocket and had your gun already in hand ready to pull and shoot. So, all the guns we had were small very concealable little things. small pocket autos, snubbie revolvers, derringers. They were easy to get from "The guy."

Everyone knew or knew someone who knew a guy. The guy with guns for sale. It was no problem to get a gun, just drop a word, and in a day or so word would get back to you to meet the guy in an ally, or vacant weed lot, and he'd have what you wanted. Little Browning and Beretta .25's were popular as were snub barreled Iver Johnson and Harrington Richardson .22 revolvers. You never spent a lotos money on a gun because if you used it, you tossed it in the river and went on with life. When I was 18 I was walking around with a German made Erma .25 auto in my pocket. It shot pretty accurate and never jammed when I would practice once in a while down by the river bank.

Now living in Texas, I don't understand why someone would want to publicly show what he's carrying. I mean, it's right out there on your hip and every bad guys see's exactly what you've got and where it is. This can lead to two outcomes. One is, he figures your packing something worth protecting, like lots of money, the Rolex watch or something. So he just shoots you and takes what you have. Or he sees a nice valuable gun and he just shoots you and takes it. Or if no gun, he clobbers you from behind with a steel pipe in the side of the head. Then he just loots your unconscious or dead body.

Maybe I'm just a cynic from a crappy childhood in the big city, but I just don't understand why show off what you've got? I knew too many people growing up that were good at blackjacking people by surprise and taking whatever they had. I always thought and was taught that inconspicuous was the way to go. Never let them know what you've got until you use it on them.

So, what is this east coast city boy missing?
    Texas SOT

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2017
    DFW Area
    I admit I am not a fan of open carry. I tried it once in Georgia and it felt like I was walking around with my fly open. I preferred to carry concealed myself. Then again I carry openly now as a LEO so it is nothing special to me.

That being said open carry does have advantages to concealed carry. Namely you are no longer limited to a gun you have to conceal. Now with the proper clothing and holster you can conceal a good sized pistol. But with open carry that limitation is no longer a concern. You have a full sized pistol on you hip easy with a full capacity magazine as opposed to a single stack 9mm subcompact or a 5 TO 6 Shot 38 snub nose revolver.

Also I can't say I buy into most criminals trying to mess with a guy they know is carrying a gun. Most robbers and agg robbers want easy targets. Someone that will give up the money and run. Sure the guy with the gun might have more cash, but said scum bag is probably going to look for an easier mark. The only way I can see it being an issue is if the person open carrying displays body language to the crook that his mind is elsewhere. So that case is less the fault of the open carry format and more a failing of proper situational awareness.

texasnurse

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2016
    In my neck of the day woods, open carry is rare. I prefer to Conceal Carry myself; though I have open Carrier on occasion. I believe the biggest effect open carry has had is the lack of "printing" guidelines. I do believe Holster requirements need to be more specific than vaugue.

Sent with my IPhone with electronics and fuzzy logic...

Governors20

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    Austin
    Open carry is a deterrent to being a victim, and because I can.

Concealed carry is for when you want someone to know about the gun after you are a crime victim and are using it to defend yourself.

No one notices open carry.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Maybe I'm just a cynic from a crappy childhood in the big city, but I just don't understand why show off what you've got?
    Forget about guns... it applies to other things as well. Are you afraid to have a nice car or nice clothes because you're advertising you got something worth stealing? If so then you're depriving yourself based on what some asshole might do. Just do things for yourself, and stop worrying about what someone else might do or think.

RACER X

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2013
    Richmond/Houston
    Because i can

I open carry at the busiest Starbucks in Houston, across from the galleria. And we're there all night hangout w the motorcycles. I even go into the bastion of liberalness OC

no one's ever said a word

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Now living in Texas, I don't understand why someone would want to publicly show what he's carrying. I mean, it's right out there on your hip and every bad guys see's exactly what you've got and where it is. This can lead to two outcomes. One is, he figures your packing something worth protecting, like lots of money, the Rolex watch or something. So he just shoots you and takes what you have. Or he sees a nice valuable gun and he just shoots you and takes it. Or if no gun, he clobbers you from behind with a steel pipe in the side of the head. Then he just loots your unconscious or dead body.

Did DC news report this happening with any frequency in NoVa, since VA is an Open Carry State? No? Doesn't get reported here in Texas either. Guess it is not happening.

0/5 trolling points.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Around my neck of the woods, you may be able to get the drop on the guy that is open carrying, but you had better expect the half dozen other guys concealed carrying.

Reinz

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 5, 2014
    East TX
    Hey, we have options now. That's a GOOD thing!

I could less if someone chooses a different one from me. I still have not seen anyone open carrying yet.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    I guess it depends on what area you are in. Although I conceal carry 99% of the time, I see it often around here.

In my neighborhood, most carry openly, but then it seems that every other property has their own private range too.

sharkey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Because it is freakin' hot in TX? Because it is legal so honestly what other reason do you need? The initial concern for the legislature was that some LE were arresting folks and some DAs were charging folks who CC and accidentally had their gun exposed.
    It is a non issue with so many states having OC as well. Where did you move from? Now go buy some boots and eat BBQ brisket and lots of TexMex

Lastly, I hear the argument of bad guys see your gun and they will take it from you or shoot you first. There is some truth to that but it is hard to quantify how many crimes are deterred because of OC and there is truth to that too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

BillFairbanks

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2017
    Johnson County, TX
    You open carry for a fast draw

ZLe1gC4bRiGFa.gif

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Now living in Texas, I don't understand why someone would want to publicly show what he's carrying. I mean, it's right out there on your hip and every bad guys see's exactly what you've got and where it is. This can lead to two outcomes.
    Really? Just two outcomes, and both result in the gun holder getting shot or clubbed? Really? Huh. No shit?

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michaelm18
    Top Bottom