Texas SOT

When do cars need to get out of the left lane?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • orbitup

Sticker Cop
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    Waxyscratchy
    In England it's illegal to pass on the 'slow side'. Their highways are similar to ours and sometimes there would be 4 lanes and everyone piled up in one lane because of some jackhole.
    Target Sports

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Yup. Its funny when the driver you are complaining about is the one that owns the company. I know they like the calls, and could give a rats ass what you think of their driving. Just saying....
    You wrap the big rig that makes you feel so invincible around a bus load of kids. Four go to ground. Six are mentally fine but, physically maimed, never to lead any semblance of their formerly normal lives. Forever longing for the answer to *what if he didn't do that?* The others, well, we'll just chalk them up to collateral damage since you can't be bothered.

You, you're the lucky one, you walk away. Except for one thing . . . you lose your wiping hand as a life long reminder.

Do you like apples? . . Just sayin'

ray22

Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Jewett
    He has a Class A license as well? Cool! Then he knows what I am talking about
    Yes I do and no I don't.
    Yup. Its funny when the driver you are complaining about is the one that owns the company. I know they like the calls, and could give a rats ass what you think of their driving. Just saying....
    I am a owner operator. Have been for 15 of the 31 years I've been driving. I don't want someone to call complaining about me. They could as easily call the state troopers. Last thing i want is a target painted on my back. I take driving very seriously, my life and those around me are to valuable. This isn't some game like you want it to be. Killing someone because one stupid act isn't something I would want to face God with. But that's just my opinion. I'm out. Goodnight all.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    I snapped a pic of this car in Atlanta a few years ago. Notice how he parked when all of the handicap spaces were taken.

IMAG1152_zps1953600e.jpg

You'd be surprised at the number of citations I've written for people parking in handicapped access aisles like that, then they argue that they can do so because the have handicapped tags or a placard!
    bash.gif

This is the best way to clear the left lane hogs...

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    Situationatialy aware. I've driven from Frankfurt to Munich. You keep your eyes forward and back. When you're in a damn Fiat that can't go over 130 MPH, you can get your ass killed. Driving on the no speed limit Autobahns is a great experience - even if their signage sucks small goat balls. Why do the hell post the speed limits of the place you just got out of? Not the current ones?

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    "The German autobahn, in the spots where there are no limits, has 2 lanes. Left lane could see cars going over 200 mph...and the cars in the right doing 70. But their fatality rate is lower than ours. German cops will give you a ticket if you block the left lane! It is for passing only! The German road discipline far exceeds ours. If you see headlights flash behind you, GTF out of the way!"

You are spot on. I learned to drive on the Autobahn in 1973.

The left lane is for fast movers, and the right lane is for every one else.

It is a traffic violation to impede the flow of traffic in the left lane by causing a faster vehicle to slow down.

Stopping on the Autobahn is prohibited. German drivers know not to run out of fuel and to keep their vehicles in top mechanical condition.

Finally, passing on the right can get your license suspended.

Good post, O.P.

Technically, it is illegal to stop unnecessarily on the Autobahn and that law is also applied to people who run out of fuel if such an occurrence is deemed to have been preventable. However, if you have legitimate mechanical issues, you will not be cited for a breakdown.

And having driven in Germany in the past year, I can tell you that Germans will pass someone on the right on the autobahn if they don't get out of their way (I've seen it happen, but I wasn't the offender). Driving in Germany not as disciplined as it used to be, but it is still far much better driving than what we see in this country!

oohrah

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2013
    Heart O' Texas
    txinvestigator, you did not quote all of the code. you missed"545.051. DRIVING ON RIGHT SIDE OF ROADWAY. (a) An operator on a roadway of sufficient width shall drive on the right half of the roadway, unless:
    (1) the operator is passing another vehicle;
    "

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    txinvestigator, you did not quote all of the code. you missed"545.051. DRIVING ON RIGHT SIDE OF ROADWAY. (a) An operator on a roadway of sufficient width shall drive on the right half of the roadway, unless:
    (1) the operator is passing another vehicle;
    "

Right half, not right lane. That is referring to driving to the left of center..................

Army 1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    The correct answer is before my front bumper hits their rear bumper.

Actually in Germany on the Autobahn, If you are in the left lane and get rear ended, it is your fault not that of the driver who hit you. I always liked that.

zincwarrior

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Texas, land of Tex-Mex
    "The German autobahn, in the spots where there are no limits, has 2 lanes. Left lane could see cars going over 200 mph...and the cars in the right doing 70. But their fatality rate is lower than ours. German cops will give you a ticket if you block the left lane! It is for passing only! The German road discipline far exceeds ours. If you see headlights flash behind you, GTF out of the way!"

You are spot on. I learned to drive on the Autobahn in 1973.

The left lane is for fast movers, and the right lane is for every one else.

It is a traffic violation to impede the flow of traffic in the left lane by causing a faster vehicle to slow down.

Stopping on the Autobahn is prohibited. German drivers know not to run out of fuel and to keep their vehicles in top mechanical condition.

Finally, passing on the right can get your license suspended.

Good post, O.P.

Speeding is illegal. You will get tickets for speeding. You won't get tickets for being in the left lane and driving the speed limit. This isn't the autobahn. If you like the autobahn, move to Germany. You can leave your guns with me. :m16:

zincwarrior

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Texas, land of Tex-Mex
    Yes I do and no I don't.

I am a owner operator. Have been for 15 of the 31 years I've been driving. I don't want someone to call complaining about me. They could as easily call the state troopers. Last thing i want is a target painted on my back. I take driving very seriously, my life and those around me are to valuable. This isn't some game like you want it to be. Killing someone because one stupid act isn't something I would want to face God with. But that's just my opinion. I'm out. Goodnight all.

Excellent. Ray is driving and frankly acting like an adult, not like a post adolescent arrested 17 year old.

winchster

Right Wing Extremist
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Justin, TX
    People drive in packs and pace themselves off other drivers. If you drive a motorcycle you see this all the time. I generally drive faster than others since I hate being around other people. At night I will hit the bright lights and leave then on if I get behind a left lane blocker. Its a lot easier to get people to move in my jacked up 4X4 Dodge with the grill guard since the lights go directly into the rear window of most cars. In the daytime, I will tailgate the hell out of them until they get tired of seeing my grill. Whats fun is when you have someone pacing off you. I have slowly gotten them up to 80 MPH before they realized how fast they were going, then they slam on the brakes and the problem is solved.
    Guys like you are so easy to take care of on the road. You do realize if you hit Simeon it's going to be your fault. Brights in the mirror are easily ignored, there's even a little switch on the mirror for it.

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    Some folks just get a left lane lock, it is the only lane they feel comfortable in. I find it amazing how just one bad driver can screw up the traffic flow on an 8 lane interstate. I hate when drivers pace another car effectively blocking others from passing.

The Autobahn is the best highway system I have ever driven on. Everyone should try it at least once.

Top Bottom