• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TDK

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Ft. Worth
    This is all my own personal opinion, but here it is.

If you go to a big shoot and watch what the majority of semi-auto shooters are using you will find that they are gas operated, and the vast majority are Beretta 391 variants. My opinion is gas operated shotguns are more reliable with light target loads, produce less felt recoil than the inertia counterpart, and have the extra heft that most sporting shooters prefer. The Beretta 390 is a great gun, and in fact it is very similar to the 391. The gas assemblies are a little different and you have more options with the 391, but the 390 is cheaper, a little simpler, and just as reliable with light loads. You just cant argue with the facts...And the fact is gas guns rule the sporting world by a massive margin.

Another great gun would be a Winchester Super X-1 if you can find one....This is the gun I prefer, but they are becoming harder to find; and being older, the parts are harder to find but still available. If this is going to be an only gun, as in no back-up, get a modern gun. But these Super X-1 are NICE!

The Winchester SX2 is another good gun that would probably fit your price range.

Im not knocking Inertia guns, they have their place. Its just not high volume clays. I'll give Benelli credit where it is due...they are an advertising giant.

dobarker

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2010
    Sonora
    Winchester Super X-1's are amazing shotguns. I've never experienced anything but good with one.
    If you're wanting something to shoot at the white-winged flying things during dove season as well as competition, I would definitely suggest finding a Browning A-5, or a Remington 11. They point and recoil like a dream. If you go with a light 12, recoil can be harsh.
    I own a Remington 11 12ga that has seen waterfowling and dove hunting since it was made in 1927. It ran like a pure champion up until this last dove season when a set screw on the lower tang wobbled loose and caused the threads in the receiver to get wollered out. I'll be buying another receiver and be back up and running with it for 2010.
    And no, i'm not that old, the shotgun has been passed down 2 generations. From paper loads with recycled shot to modern winchester AA, it has taken them all and to my knowledge, not choked, ever.

Top Bottom