• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • okie556

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Longview, TX
    Okay......here's the deal. Just got into shooting Skeet/Sporting Clays. I have a Yildiz 12ga. O/U and took it out to bust a few birds over the weekend. The thing shoots great..............hit a lot of birds but here's the problem. Just had Carpal Tunnel and Cubital Tunnel Surgery on my left hand and elbow at the end of last November and the same thing on right hand and elbow during Christmas. I have a shoot coming up March 21st at for my grand-daughters day school and after shooting this weekend I don't think there's a way in hell I can break that O/U open 50 times..............hence the need for the Semi-Auto. I only have $500.00 to spend but want something reliable......at least 28" barrel and replaceable chokes. Looked at the Stoeger 2000 but read a lot of negitive stuff about it. Any other suggestions?? Thought about selling an AR and just go ahead and bite the bullet for a Benelli but hate to part with it.:banghead:
    Hurley's Gold

Jeff-Tex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    Mesquite
    In that price range I would look for a Remington 1100 or 11-87. Both very reliable.

Edit: Didn't realize you had an 1100 and sold it. Sell the AR, get an Extrema 2, they are the fastest and lightest on recoil.

okie556

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Longview, TX
    In that price range I would look for a Remington 1100 or 11-87. Both very reliable.

Edit: Didn't realize you had an 1100 and sold it. Sell the AR, get an Extrema 2, they are the fastest and lightest on recoil.

Since I'm new to shotguns..........was wondering about buying an auto designed for hunting (such as the suggested Extrema 2) versus one designed for trap/skeet. One would think the hunting autos are designed to use high brass magnum loads which would not be needed in trap/skeet shooting. Would the gun still cycle consistantly with lighter loads? Also a trap/skeet gun must cycle at least a 100 times before cleaning.......just wondering?

The_Hunter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Now Dallas
    I have a mosberg 930 I have used to break clays, it works great and it ate everything I fed it. It should run you about $400 if you can track one down

my .02

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I had a Beretta 390 something that was a good gun. It was the lower end model at Academy for about $500. It always fed and fired great. I have moved up to a Benelli and love it.

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    The 1100's are good and the 11-87's (which are a lil cheaper than the 1100's) are just a heavier version made for stonger shells. Both are good guns and will work great as long as they are in good shape. The 390 and newer models called 391's are also great those are the only autos I have alot of experiance with besides a Browning A5 which will beat you to death on recoil. The Benelli's are good but out of your range besides a Nova pump.

okie556

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Longview, TX
    I have a mosberg 930 I have used to break clays, it works great and it ate everything I fed it. It should run you about $400 if you can track one down

my .02

The 930s I find are short barreled tactical versions...............I am wanting at least 28". Thanks for the info.

okie556

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Longview, TX
    I had a Beretta 390 something that was a good gun. It was the lower end model at Academy for about $500. It always fed and fired great. I have moved up to a Benelli and love it.

Thanks.......the 390 is on my list to check out. What model Benelli did you get and what makes it better than the 390?

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Thanks.......the 390 is on my list to check out. What model Benelli did you get and what makes it better than the 390?
    I have a Super Black Eagle II. I wanted an auto that would fire 3 1/2" shells and everything else reliably without having to change out parts. It is the best as far as shooting all shells, but probably not as good as their other models for dedicated shooting. The new Vinci is supposed to be pretty sweet in about the same price range.

The Beretta I had I couldn't add a mag tube extension to. The gun had a 2 round magazine on it and that was all it would ever have. It was a good gun, and that wasn't a major issue, but I was just ready to upgrade. There was no aftermarket for anything for it. It was Beretta's entry level auto. It did have choke tubes though.

okie556

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Longview, TX
    I have a Super Black Eagle II. I wanted an auto that would fire 3 1/2" shells and everything else reliably without having to change out parts. It is the best as far as shooting all shells, but probably not as good as their other models for dedicated shooting. The new Vinci is supposed to be pretty sweet in about the same price range.

The Beretta I had I couldn't add a mag tube extension to. The gun had a 2 round magazine on it and that was all it would ever have. It was a good gun, and that wasn't a major issue, but I was just ready to upgrade. There was no aftermarket for anything for it. It was Beretta's entry level auto. It did have choke tubes though.

Thanks for info.............big help!

okie556

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Longview, TX
    Here are the CZ semi-auto's as suggested earlier. I really like some of their O/U to.
    CZ-USA -> CZ 712 UTILITY
    CZ-USA -> CZ 720 SEMI AUTO REDUCED LENGTH
    CZ-USA -> CZ 712 SEMI AUTO
    CZ-USA -> CZ 720 SEMI AUTO
    It seams that they really only have two models and just made one shorter and one shorter and plastic. Here is the link I pulled them off of that has all the CZ shotguns on it. CZ-USA -> Product Categories . Good luck and I hope you heal up fast.

Thanks Big! Lot of good info there.

aberbaseball7

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    wichita falls
    If you find a beretta 390 in the NWTF camo and dont want it, I am looking for one and have had no luck. I also sold my 1187 which I loved and plan to find the 390 as it sounds like the best bang for the bug semi in my price range also.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    No problem. I have a CZ handgun and love it. I've never messed with thier rifles or shotguns but I hear lots of good things about all their products, I've never read a bad reveiw on any CZ. Good luck!

okie556

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Longview, TX
    Okay I found a new Franchi I12 at a local gun shop (not Academy but better price than Academy). I've read that Beretta owns them as well as Benneli, Stoeger etc and all are Inertia instead of gas which should allow for different load without changing anything internally. Any thoughts on the Franchi as a beginner skeet/trap gun?

Top Bottom