Target Sports

What keeps us from giving $ to candidates/campaigning for them or giving/doing more?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    You talk to people. Thats good. Pamphlets are a waste? Thats your opinion. As far as money in politics that's reality whether you like that or not and it takes money to get elected.

So the running answer seems to be "it doesn't matter". That's not true.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    What keeps us from giving $ to candidates/campaigning for them or giving/doin...

I didn't say it doesn't matter, I said that if 20 million can't get you in the Governors Mansion, another $1000 ain't gonna do it.

I believe that big money campaigns have helped get this country in to the mess it's in now, but don't know of any way to fix it.

Mike1234567

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    South Texas
    You talk to people. Thats good. Pamphlets are a waste? Thats your opinion. As far as money in politics that's reality whether you like that or not and it takes money to get elected.

So the running answer seems to be "it doesn't matter". That's not true.

Oh... but it DOES matter. That's why I research where my money goes... to "supposed good causes". I'll not be having 87 percent of the monies I donate go to greedy CEOs nor to "bought politicians" fighting against causes I support... regardless of what those politicians "claim" they fight for.

Last edited:

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Oh... but it DOES matter. That's why I research where my money goes... to "supposed good causes". I'll not be having 87 percent of the monies I donate go to greedy CEOs nor to "bought politicians" fighting against causes I support... regardless of what those politicians "claim" they fight for.

Definitely agree it's good to see where your money is really going when you donate it.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    As far as "my $5 won't make a difference"; the campaigns love smaller donations. They would rather have tons of small donations, it shows way more support. Is money in politics gross? Sure, but that's reality. As far as your small contribution mattering, yes it does. Back in WW2 people saved scraps of metal for the war effort because it added up and did matter.

The general sentiment here seems to be:

"they're all crooked" or "too much money in politics as is"

If you think they are all crooked, then find one who isn't "yet" and donate or campaign for him. Start local, city council, county board, but get involved in some real way.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    What keeps us from giving $ to candidates/campaigning for them or giving/doin...

Words do more than money IMO, and our small town local campaigns are not financially driven outside of donations for the $2000 fee to run. Those who can afford it don't ask, those who can't tend to make better candidates.

Money does little when everybody talks.

I'm sorry, but you won't convince me to send money to a multi million dollar campaign. My support will show when I cast my ballot.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Words do more than money IMO, and our small town local campaigns are not financially driven outside of donations for the $2000 fee to run. Those who can afford it don't ask, those who can't tend to make better candidates.

Money does little when everybody talks.

I'm sorry, but you won't convince me to send money to a multi million dollar campaign. My support will show when I cast my ballot.

Sorry? Not asking for anyone to be sorry, just to be honest. If you talk to 100 people that's worth more than me giving $100, I just believe in doing both.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.

Lol, just an expression. I don't really feel bad:p

We all do what we think we need to. Not saying I would never donate to a campaign, but not any that I feel need my money at the moment.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    Money's tight, or at least mine is. I just don't have extra to throw at any politicians.

Another issue is that the Republican party has made me nearly as mad as the Democrats. I swear, if they had a "None Of The Above" box on the ballot, I'd probably vote straight-ticket for that!

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    If I had more time (child rearing days/work nights and weekends) to be involved with organizations definitely would, however I would start with the NRA, my next priority, if time was available, would be to supporting politicians. I also don't mind sending small donations in once in a while when I am able.

One thing I wouldn't do and disagree with is the door to door campaigning for anyone or organization. I feel it's rude and a lot of times has the opposite effect of the one desired. I know I am not a nice person when a stranger knocks on my door unannounced.

Mike1234567

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    South Texas
    There are few good politicians around. Unfortunately, not enough of us will vote for them to get them elected into the White House because we're afraid our votes will be "wasted". Well... our votes ARE wasted if we don't vote for the very best candidates regardless of what party. Both Rep and Dem Parties sold us out long ago. If Rand Paul runs then I'm voting for him even if he runs on the Mickey Mouse Party.

My health is shot and my cash funds are extremely limited. I'll vote for the best option no matter what and I'll send whatever little I can to them.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    I think we need more small town hall style forums and less sound bytes on the TV anyway.

Also, the GOP regularly irks me with some of the big government idiocy they spew. We need more Cruzs and less Cornyns. I'm not sending one cent to a party fund. I did give money to Ron Paul, Debra Medina and Ted Cruz. I may donate to Abbot, but need more research first.

I guess part of it is that I'm less than enthused about many of the candidates that the "party" tries to push out there.

Mike1234567

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    South Texas
    Yeah... Ron Paul, Rand Paul, Ted Cruz... very few others are even worth mentioning. I'm researching Greg Abbot now...

Last edited:

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    That there are so very few candidates I trust or agree with (who IMO have a chance) enough to give my hard-earned filthy lucre to. The only political donation I've ever made was the 2008 Ron Paul presidential run.

The rest tend to be so anti-capitalism that I can't believe they would ever want money. :pig:

Domineaux

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2010
    Houston
    We all do what we think we need to.

While I am sure folks here do participate more than the general population, a big part of the problem with our government is that too few do anything at all.

I make small donations to candidates (directly) who I believe would be the best choice, but only if the donation looks like it might actually make a difference.
    Donating to Ted Cruz for Senate for example was very important to me as he was financially disadvantaged against Dewhurst and with a run off campaign that became even more of a concern.

Most importantly though, I try to find out as much as I can about primary candidates and inform anyone I think might be at all interested, especially if they are not ones to go seek out information and/or actually vote in the primary.

Far too many good people don't participate in the primary process and then just go vote a party in the election.

Top Bottom