Gun Zone Deals

What keeps us from giving $ to candidates/campaigning for them or giving/doing more?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Be honest. I'm not judging and I'll be honest as well. I talk a lot of politics on here. I am EXTREMELY pro-life and pro-2A. I try to back up my talk with funding and campaigning for causes and candidates I believe in.

I've given about $500 last year to Greg Abbott's campaign and Texas Right to Life.

I've been handing out Jerry Patterson for Lt Gov literature and stickers.

I went to the capitol when SB5 passed. I was glad to be sitting in the Senate chamber with other pro-lifers so those demonic pro-abortion hordes chanting and screaming and chaining themselves to the railing couldn't again block the bill illegally.

But as I was walking out of a gun shop yesterday after dropping off some Patterson literature, I asked myself, why am I not doing more? Why do I not have a trunk full of Abbott/Patterson campaign stuff? Why am I not doing something for these campaigns every single day? I don't make a ton of money but I could easily give say $1 a day to Patterson, Abbott and many others and not really notice the hit. How often do we spend money on the junk we want? Beef jerky, beer, pizza, yet ANOTHER PMag!

It's not just on the money end though, why haven't I walked my neighborhood trying to meet people and get them to vote for Abbott and Patterson?

I suppose the honest truth is I'm selfish and lazy.

-I could make the excuses that I have other bills to pay but don't we all waste money that would be better served going to the NRA legislative fund, your church to help the community, your candidate or whatever?

-Community isn't what it was, but am I trying to build community? Or am I too afraid to go knock on my neighbors door and introduce myself?

Now your turn. What have you done and why haven't you done more? It would be great if we could all be honest about it and encourage each other to really fund the causes and campaign for the candidates who will protect our rights.

#realtalk

*If you aren't registered to vote, register and vote for the candidates who uphold the Constitution.

Request for Voter Registration Applications

http://votepatterson.com/
    Jerry Patterson Campaign office ph 512-476-2014

http://www.gregabbott.com/
    Greg Abbott Campaign office ph 512-477-2002
    DK Firearms

Last edited:

pixel5

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2014
    While I support Greg Abbott and select past candidates, I feel that there are others who would benefit more from that $1 than a politician who has already raised millions.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    While I support Greg Abbott and select past candidates, I feel that there are others who would benefit more from that $1 than a politician who has already raised millions.

So, you give to other candidates? I respect that. Politics starts locally with your city council/county commission.

stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi
    What keeps us from giving $ to candidates/campaigning for them or giving/doin...

1. Don't have the money
    2. They're going to confiscate it via taxes.
    3. I get no payoff for my sacrifice.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I just called the Patterson campaign and have campaign materials heading to me. Totally free. I've done this twice now.

Abbott's campaign is a bit more difficult but it's a bigger campaign. They really have more of a hierarchy. Supposed to get in touch with their local field rep soon.

Mike1234567

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    South Texas
    I donated $50 to Ron Paul's last presidential campaign... all I could afford at the time. If Rand Paul runs then I'll donate all I can afford to his campaign.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    1. Don't have the money
    2. They're going to confiscate it via taxes.
    3. I get no payoff for my sacrifice.

Wow. Ummmmm....trying to be polite here.

1. You can do $5 a week I'd imagine. I respect if things are impossibly tight, I've been there.
    2. Campaigns don't confiscate your $.
    3. No payoff? Imagine Wendy Davis as governor.

On a positive note, for free, you can get campaign stuff from Patterson. Give to family and friends. So there is no financial effort and the payoff would be him as Lt Gov instead of Dewhurst.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I donated $50 to Ron Paul's last presidential campaign... all I could afford at the time. If Rand Paul runs then I'll donate all I can afford to his campaign.

Good to hear and a good example of doing what you can. Those smaller donations are great for the campaigns. They'd rather have a lot of smaller donations than a few big ones. I've given $10-$20 before even. It matters and helps.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    What keeps us from giving $ to candidates/campaigning for them or giving/doin...

I'd rather spend my money helping someone directly or through church or missions than contributing to these bloated party organizations or political campaigns.

I vote my conscience but I'm not wasting my money on political BS when I can use it for something that really makes a difference. They might get $10 or $20 from me but that's it. All the gun rights groups get the annual membership from me, nothing more.

pixel5

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2014
    So, you give to other candidates? I respect that. Politics starts locally with your city council/county commission.

No, that's not what I meant at all. Please see:

I'd rather spend my money helping someone directly or through church or missions than contributing to these bloated party organizations or political campaigns.

I vote my conscience but I'm not wasting my money on political BS when I can use it for something that really makes a difference. They might get $10 or $20 from me but that's it. All the gun rights groups get the annual membership from me, nothing more.

pixel5

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2014
    I get Mexican Hippie's point to an extent. I give to my church each Sunday too.

I think you might be missing the point. There are few greater things you can do in this world than giving to those in need. I'm sorry, but politicians do not fall into that category.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Not missing a thing. I respect Mexican Hippie's faith. Of course we should give to good charities. However we have to also acknowledge that our government pushes our culture one way or the other. Abbott in office vs Davis will protect and advance my faith and the causes I believe in. It takes money to run for office.

Not against giving to charities and give to the church frequently, ive given to an orphanage in South America that a Peruvian friend of mine has been to but ill give to candidates as well out of necessity.

Mike1234567

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    South Texas
    I base my faith in facts and observed actions... not in assumptions based on religion. Too many people hide behind masks, many of which are religious in appearance.

BG1960

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Unincorporated East Harris County
    call me an idealist, but I don't think giving money to a politician so he can give it to some media outlet is sensible. I pay little to no attention to political advertising and I'll be damned if I am gonna see my money go into such a crooked racket. If Patterson or Abbot need lunch, they can give me a call and I'll meet them somewhere around the 610/290 mess.

Mike1234567

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    South Texas
    So you donate time and money to secular organisations?

If you're addressing me then no. I give my money to causes I believe in... to those organizations not hiding behind masks... to those that are fully transparent regarding specifically where the funds are going. The American Red Cross is a good one, IMHO. The NRA is another pretty good one.

Last edited:

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.

What is your point.

I won't be donating any money to abbot. If the 20 million he has can't get him in office, $20,000,005 ain't gonna do it either.

I talk to people, I won't bother with pamphlets because people don't read them. They get tossed in the trash and become a waste of donated money.

Whether an organization someone donates to is secular or not means nothing. Donating to churches is a whole 'nother can of worms that is pretty much irrelevant to this conversation.

Top Bottom