TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    For all you 00 buck guys:

Home Defense Shotgun Ammo

"Number 1 buck is the smallest diameter shot that reliably and
    consistently penetrates more than 12 inches of standard ordnance gelatin when
    fired at typical shotgun engagement distances. A standard 2 ¾-inch 12 gauge
    shotshell contains 16 pellets of #1 buck. The total combined cross sectional
    area of the 16 pellets is 1.13 square inches. Compared to the total combined
    cross sectional area of the nine pellets in a standard #00 (double-aught) buck
    shotshell (0.77 square inches), the # 1 buck shotshell has the capacity to
    produce over 30 percent more potentially effective wound trauma. In all
    shotshell loads, number 1 buckshot produces more potentially effective wound
    trauma than either #00 or #000 buck. In addition, number 1 buck is less likely
    to over-penetrate and exit an attacker's body."

I would take 16 .30 pellets over 9 .33 pellets any day.

The tradeoff there is that 00 is easier to find, especially in the more-appropriate reduced recoil shells.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2013
    Houston, TX
    The tradeoff there is that 00 is easier to find, especially in the more-appropriate reduced recoil shells.

Winchester Super-X at least WAS easy to find. I was paying $3.89 per box of 5 just a few months ago... and reduced recoil shells are for people with weak wrists. :)

bwalker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2013
    N/W Houston
    Having just purchased a Mossberg 500 18.5" (5+1) for HD I've been doing a lot of reading on the subject. If I could find it I think Federal #1 buck reduced recoil with FliteControl would be my first choice. For in home distances I'm torn between using FliteControl 00 (which seems to have virtually no pattern at in home distances) and standard 00.

The consensus I've found in researching ammo is that you need to find the right ammo that works in your particular gun. So, I've purchased a variety of low recoil 00 to try out (Royal, Fiocchi, Remington, Winchester, Federal) but can't find a place to pattern at less than 25 yards. I guess whatever works best for me at 25 yards will have to be the ammo I settle on.

However, just in case the 00 doesn't get the job done on the BG then I also have some slugs in the side-saddle and as rounds 5 and 6 in the tube. I'm also considering getting some 3" to chamber first (so I get more pellets in the first shot) and then sticking with 2 3/4" in the tube so I don't lose ammo capacity.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I'd avoid the 3" just because the recoil is insane, and pellet count is really not a huge issue. More is better, yeah, but there are two approaches, the simplest of which is simply more shots on target in less time.

bwalker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2013
    N/W Houston
    That's a very good point. I'll stick with the 2 3/4 low recoil that I'm used to and know that I can rapid fire fairly quickly. Thx.

kabob

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2012
    Dallas
    Federal HST 230gr .45ACP +P for the HD guns (H&K UMP conversion and Sig P220ST) and Hornady TAP XTP 180gr JHP .45ACP for carry.

Wabbit69

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Austin
    The SG is reserved for "Barricade-and-Lie-in-wait/Ambush-as he walks through the Fatal-Funnel Hallway". I feel comfortable that 7/8oz of #3 Buck from a 20 ga at 10 feet will cause some impressive deep penetrating wound trauma, as long as I aim properly. There's four interior, plus two exterior brick walls, one vehicle and a water heater between mine and my neigbor's bedrooms.

Cold weather and the possiblity of heavy clothing on the attacker, larger shot size might have some advantage. Warm weather, smaller size buck should do just fine IF all the pellets manage to create additional bodily orifii on the perp.

Top Bottom