Gun Zone Deals

What do you not like about ranges you've been to?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cconn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 5, 2009
    Hemphill
    I always turn the targets I get from the range around & use the back side, because I have trouble
    making out the sights against the black bullseyes.
    I stick several 3/4" fluorescent "sticky" targets on to shoot at, problem solved.

They would not allow the use of stickers either. I asked.
    Venture Surplus ad

TRC Tactical

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2013
    Stagnant targets that don't move. I need to find a range that has some variation to it instead of just target shooting a piece of paper.

Fireaustin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 9, 2013
    Our original projected opening date was going to be October 1. Unfortunately, we are in the ETJ of the city of San Marcos. Their Planning Department has decided that they are going to require certain paperwork to be filed and approved before we can continue construction. This is not going to keep us from opening, just delay it a bit. Hopefully we can have it done by mid November now.

Several of you have complained about certain range rules. After talking with a few different ranges, the rules have to be generally set for the least experienced shooter. I have participated in a few 3 gun competitions and can double/triple tap accurately. A brand new shooter can't make that guarantee and after seeing one of y'all that can, will want to do it too.

After we have been open for a while, we will start drawing plans on Tac bays. Holster work will be authorized in these areas, as long as the 180 rule is followed.

I can't set any definite time line on any of our expansion though, until we see how much y'all like us.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I detest Range Nazis! I am a member at two private clubs and have been a member of three others over the years. I believe it's possible to ensure safety and get the point across that rules are to be followed without being a jerk about it.

Our clubs require ARO's to be on duty at all times. The first member on site is the ARO unless he passes it to another member. When I am ARO, I stay civil, polite and respectful. I also consider the needs of others. For instance, when calling a cease fire, I check with the shooters to see what their needs are and advise them that a cease fire is coming.

When I announce the cease fire, I do it this way: I tell the shooters what we're going to do, ask that any remaining rounds in the firearm be shot but ask that they not reload. I do NOT make them unload a firearm. We wait until all rounds are fired. Actions open, firearms and magazines are down and we cease fire. What's with calling a cease fire and making a guy unload his firearm? I believe that is far more dangerous. Fire the rounds, clear the piece, lay it down open and empty then step back. When all shooters are safe, we call the cease fire.

That is showing courtesy and sharing mutual respect with your fellow shooters. I can be firm and had to do that sometimes but in normal operation, courtesy is the rule.

In any business, if they bark at me, I tell them to shove it and head out. I simply won't tolerate rude behavior.

Flash

rushthezeppelin

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Cedar Park
    Barging into someone else's range thread to advertise your range is pretty rude and I'm sure against forum advertising rules.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    That spam account has been reported before and is about to be reported again. I hope the new owners catch up with the banhammer.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    That was certainly a great example of how NOT to establish your business on a site that is not yours. That is like walking into a person's place of business, and using a megaphone to loudly proclaim that all of the customers there should check out your business. Incredibly rude. I can understand it happening once, as some people are not used to the internet. Ten times? Yeah, you're done here buddy.

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    This is a great thread. Glad to see a business owner trying to make his customers happt before he even has any!

My biggest gripe: No rapidfire with handguns.

I don't shoot to make a single, pretty hole in a target; I go to practice self-defense style shooting. While I realize this would be much better done on a training course meant for this; I don't have $1,000 and vacation time to make that happen for only three days out of the year. The range gives me a good; cheap place to legally and frequently launch lead.

Unfortunately most have rules against rapid-fire with handguns; although I can't understand why. Rifles, sure, but not pistols.

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    Another one: If you rent out pistols, keep them impeccably clean and functioning. I used to rent a SW 629 in CA. It cost $20 plus I had to buy their ammo which was $25. Throw in range and target fees and you're looking at $55 for the experience.

The damn thing had a loose cylinder that needed to be lock-tited. It would back itself up to the point you couldn't pull the trigger and even had a hard time swinging it open. When I brought it to the attention of the manager his reply was, "Oh, yeah. It's been doing that for a while now." :mad:

Peking

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2013
    Dallas, TX
    I will be opening a brand new range in Central Texas in a few months. I'll give more specifics in a few weeks.

What are your complaints about any range you have visited in Texas within the last 10 years. Lets not bash any specific range, I just want to try to make ours as pleasant of an experience as possible for you.

Also, what is your favorite thing about various ranges.

This could be about pistol, rifle, shotgun, or archery ranges.

Thanks

I like clean and simple. Ranges that are trying to hard to be "BIG" or really fancy kind of turn me off, but I do like clean and organized. I come from Georgia so just about every range charges by the hour, which is why I was glad to find a place here in Dallas that charge a flat rate for the day with allowing you to "check out" if you need to go do something or want to get something to eat then come back to check back in then get right back onto the range.

Oh and I understand that different ranges have rules to protect their property like their backstops but my "dream" range would allow all kinds of ammo including all kinds of shotgun rounds (some ranges allow buckshot while some don't, then some allow slugs while some don't, and some don't allow any shotguns).

Peking

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2013
    Dallas, TX
    Oh and minimum 50 yard indoor range but would love standard 100 yard indoor range... I know not likely but would be awesome.

flashguy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2008
    Dallas, Texas
    Honestly, I hadn't even heard of an hourly rate. I had heard of a per gun. I was figuring you rent the real estate until you are tired of firing. I know there are a few out there that can sit still long enough to shoot all day long, but in general... I think most people would come out for an hour, maybe two.
    The indoor range I go to has a daily rate, but if the range gets too busy they will request a long-term customer to sit out for a while to let someone else shoot; they are then permitted to resume after a decent time.

Suzi

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2012
    Magnolia
    For indoor ranges: Lighting and ventilation are the most important to me. I don't have much experience with outdoor ranges since I usually shoot at a members only range. The problem there is that the rules are set for bench rest shooters and can be a little annoying for the rest of us. Just a side note; hubby and I were shooting at the club, we called for cease fire set up our targets made the range hot and as we were getting ready to shoot again hubby looked up and some of the old heads were walking out on the the range! They are the ones who set the rules and they acknowledged the hot range call!

subseashooter

Use Your Imagination.....
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 7, 2013
    Here and There
    If you are doing an indoor range, PLEASE invest in some bad@$$ sound deadening. There is an indoor range that I LOVE...or would love, except that even with 2 layers of protection on, it's still painfully loud.

Loud enough to blow out my Howard Leight electronic muffs.....

TXLoader

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 1, 2013
    County Line Shooting Center is coming to Central Texas. We will be located in southern Hays County on Old Bastrop Rd, between York Creek and Posey. Hopefully we will have an actual address that I can add within the week. I am breaking ground on July 1. Our projected opening is October 1.

As we are a brand new range, we will have to build it in phases. Initially, we will have:
    Pistol range with 12-14 positions and distances out to 25 yards
    Rifle range with 12 positions at 50 yards and 12 positions at 100 yards
    Archery range out to 100 yards
    2 trap fields
    1 skeet field

Tues - Fri 5pm to 8pm or dark
    Sat-Sun 10am to 8pm or dark

Closed Monday

The pistol and rifle lanes will be covered and on concrete slabs. RSOs on site. One price per shooter with no time limit. We will supply you with one target. You can purchase more from us or bring your own if you prefer. I own several of the modern sporting (tactical) weapons, so they are welcome. Be sure to bring your "high capacity" magazines too, as long as it is slow controlled shots. No rapid fire or double taps in the range lanes.

As we are able to expand, we will add a second rifle range with distances at 50, 100, 200, and 300 yards (that is all the property will allow), up to a total of 6 shotgun fields with 2 being multipurpose trap and skeet or 5 stand, up to 6 tactical bays, an actual store front, and a rentable training room.

The tactical bays will be the only area that a little rapid fire and holster work will be allowed.

Thanks for all of the input. Many of your issues I had already considered and was planning for. Several were completely new issues and I will work to make sure they don't happen.

We will have a "suggestion" box in the office for any input on our facility. All comments will be welcome, good or bad. If I don't know why you are unsatisfied with my facility, how can I be expected to make it better for you?

All your planned features sound great. Your hours, though, are puzzling for the Tues to Fri days.

If I'm not mistaking, dark in central Texas from November to January hits right about 5:30 PM, give or take some change. Is your range going to be lighted, or are you just going to have Sat-Sun open during that time?

That may strike some as a stupid question, and maybe I have just never been to a lighted range to think lights at night would be normal. I've never been to a range having lights at night. I usually shoot on private land - or the unkept-up range near my home for reloading work..but it has no lights.

HKaltwasser

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Too dark on the inside range. Coudn't see very well. An uneducated range officer claiming I had a Class 3 firearm and to show him my papers. I had to educate him on the laws. All for a fake can on a 16" barrel , I just leave it off becaue I went back again and I had to unscrew it to prove it. The sad thing was it had a very obvious LOUD boom when firing. No sound suppression what so ever.

No long ranges 100 yard +.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    setter1
    Top Bottom