APOD Firearms

What do you not like about ranges you've been to?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Army 1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    The shotgun range is run differently. I don't shoot shotguns so I don't know how it works there. I like the pistol range and have not run into brass nazis there. Sure they sweep up fairly regularly, but just tell them you reload and to ask you to pick up when they want to sweep. You said zero explantion...of what?
    Guns International

REDNECKRANGER

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2012
    Gatesville, TX
    All the complaints I've read here are for the birds. I go to Hicksville gun range in Gatesville and all the tables and chairs are moveable, you can shoot pistols on the rifle range and sit down to shoot them. The owners and their workers don't interfere with anyone unless they do stupid stuff or shoot over the berms. They let you shoot what you want and take as many weapons as you want and no extra charge no membership fees. You can take your BBQ pits and cook if you want just police after yourself or you can leave and go get lunch shop or whatever floats your boat and return the same day and you don't have to pay again. You can shoot tannerite too. The owner JD had told me that they are getting ready to take the NRA range safety certification courses so he and his staff will all be certified. It's a nice range to visit and to get ideas of how you might want to set your range up.

Greg_TX

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2009
    Klein, TX
    Grumpy manning anything..
    Amen. There seems to be a lot people in the firearms retail business who think they're doing you a favor just by being there, whether they actually do much for you or not. That attitude seems to get noticeably worse in times of high consumer demand such as now, and back in '08-'09.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    County Line Shooting Center is coming to Central Texas. We will be located in southern Hays County on Old Bastrop Rd, between York Creek and Posey. Hopefully we will have an actual address that I can add within the week. I am breaking ground on July 1. Our projected opening is October 1.

Awesome - I'm in San Marcos, so you'd be the only range within 40 minutes of me. If it is all it seems, you'll be seeing a lot of me.

moki

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 11, 2012
    DFW
    Elm Fork also has RO's that are brass nazis, charge $1 each for common targets, no help to new customers, approach new customers and interrupt shooting sans company appearance expecting cease fire ..... uh go **** yourself little man. The woman at the desk was empty behind the eyes and could and was useless. Zero explanation (even though they were notified TWICE THAT WE WERE NEW CUSTOMERS) of the shotgun shooting grounds and how their system works. Haven't been back as the friends I had in from out of town did not have a good time. Obviously I was not impressed with this place so maybe not the best place to emulate oneself after.

I agree TX69...I've had to use this place several times, but more out of necessity than desire.
    A few of there RSO's are nice guys, but the majority are self important d'bags.
    Ridiculous restrictions on ammo.
    No rapid fire (if there is a problem, deal with the shooter, not the masses).
    A 'tactical' bay that is supposed to be able to be used by all folks if no agency is using it but just has a regular bench set up. Nothing tactical about that.
    No iron sights on the hundred yard range. 3x or higher optics only. Thats retarded.
    Pretty much every person that works behind the counter is a jackass.
    And 10rd maximum in magazines. Whats that all about? They are basically as bad as CA or NY.

Needless to say I really don't like going to this place but with my limited about of time whenever I'm in town, I have yet to find a good alternative.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    What are your complaints about any range you have visited in Texas within the last 10 years.
    RSOs yelling at me for shooting too fast even though all projectiles are making a nice fist sized group; RSOs not yelling at the hipsters pointing guns at people down the line; ammo restrictions; no lanes where drawing from a holster is allowed; reactive targets not allowed; not enough shade; too much mud

The only time I goto a range anymore is if I'm going shooting with a handful of people. Don't want several people shooting at my place at the same time because I don't want the neighbors to think I've started world war three ;)
    When I used to goto the range often, I preferred to goto Lonestar because of their relaxed rules and the self policing was usually pretty good. Their facilities are a bit limited, however.

RACER X

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2013
    Richmond/Houston
    define elevated platforms for me. Been to American Shooting Center or Hot Wells? thoughts on those stations?

ASC has their pistol targets set way to high, even if you staple your target as low as possible, the bullseye is still head level vs center mass or thereabouts

sent from my cell phone, far far away

cconn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 5, 2009
    Hemphill
    I will throw in my range gripes. I usually shoot at the house, but if I am going out of town I have been to a few ranges with rules I do not like.

There is one range in Huntington that does not allow firing more than one shot every few seconds, and rifle can only be fired from the bench-rest position. Now I have taken multiple weapon training classes, and usually desire to fire my AR Home defense weapon from a standing position. To me, as long as I can put all my shots in the center box of a CSAT target, then I am not shooting too fast.

There should be a place where pistol work from a holster is allowed. Again, when I am at the range I am doing tactical drills and practice.

Another range in Beaumont that I will not return to required you to use their targets. I would not have a problem with that, except their targets sucked. I was performing load work ups on precision rifles, and the targets had like a 3 inch circle for the bullseye, nowhere near small enough for the precision I needed. I ended up firing one shot, then using the bullet hole for my target the next few shots.

And nothing will cause me to leave a range faster and not return than rude or overbearing RSO's or employees. One RSO told me I could not load mags during a cease fire, when I was standing at least 5 feet behind the line, and all weapons were laying on the firing line table. He think a cartridge would magically fire itself from a magazine? (He also called them clips, buts that's another debate)

Last edited:

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Another range in Beaumont that I will not return to required you to use their targets. I would not have a problem with that, except their targets sucked. I was performing load work ups on precision rifles, and the targets had like a 3 inch circle for the bullseye, nowhere near small enough for the precision I needed. I ended up firing one shot, then using the bullet hole for my target the next few shots.

I always turn the targets I get from the range around & use the back side, because I have trouble
    making out the sights against the black bullseyes.
    I stick several 3/4" fluorescent "sticky" targets on to shoot at, problem solved.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    setter1
    Top Bottom