ARJ Defense ad

What do I need to do about an abandoned gun?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TxDad

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Central Texas
    Sorry - TxDad an' Glockster have been havin' a lovers' quarrel ever since their New Years Eve party.....

th_supergay.gif

He wass eyeing ssome fool on a sscooter wearin' ssome gawd awful lederhossen. Yess, I'm gonna get bent.

Kurt-H-glee-17648074-450-700.jpg
    Guns International

Glitter and Guns

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    DFW
    Registered??? Is it some out of state registration? Again, there is NO registration in Texas.

Yes. That pistol IS registered in another state. It was bought from a gun store & we went through a (I think) 7 day waiting period and it was registered to one of us - just not sure now if it was me or the ex. I was in a state where each area had it's own requirements for gun ownership and I lived in a very liberal voting area where all guns were supposed to be registered with the local police or sheriff's dept. Since it was purchased through a licensed dealer, he insisted that we did register it in order for him to be in compliance. I have no idea what happens with the whole thing once you move out of the area. The state I was in did not have consistent ruling throughout the state (at least at that time - it could have changed).

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    Personally I wouldn't get the insurance. But if you did, depending on you homeowners policy, as said before you probably just need to schedule it (give them info on it). Not to be rude but..............I'm still of the opinion you are overthinking this deal quite a bit. Secure it and forget it IMO.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Honestly, why turn the gun into the police? Loaner and borrower have done nothing wrong. There's no crime involved in the matter. Neither party is accusing the other of foul play. We've discussed ad nauseum there's no need for any paperwork on buying/selling a privately owned gun. Is it a matter of getting paperwork from PD as to disposition of the firearm?

Please, someone make me smarter. Why is turning THIS gun into the police the correct way to handle THIS matter?

alexrex20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2011
    Wow. Police? Certified letters? Notaries?

If you borrow a friend's friend's headphones while they're visiting from out of town, do you go through the same effort to return them? It amounts to the same thing: the rifle is no different from a pair of headphones.

People are way overthinking this.

Sell the rifle on craigslist or to a pawn shop. It's obvious the ex-friend doesn't want it.

CanTex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Pflugerville
    Wow. Police? Certified letters? Notaries?

If you borrow a friend's friend's headphones while they're visiting from out of town, do you go through the same effort to return them? It amounts to the same thing: the rifle is no different from a pair of headphones.

People are way overthinking this.

Sell the rifle on craigslist or to a pawn shop. It's obvious the ex-friend doesn't want it.

Remind me to never loan you my headphones... LOL. I commend the OP for her efforts and honest feelings to do the right thing regarding property belonging to someone else. Especially when it is known that the original owner is going through difficulties (caused by himself notwithstanding). Further there is a large difference between a pair of headphones and a firearm and doubt that anyone has over thought this. In the society we live in today I am sure that should the original owner call the police and said Mrs X has stolen his weapon they would react differently than if he said his headphones were.

@ Glockster69, not sure where the OP or others advocated turning the gun into the police but in answer to your question. There was a time when you could advise the police of a found/lost item and they would make an effort to track down the original owner. Sadly this time is long past in most cases.

With rifles considered weapons and their use or availability to the wrong people having the ability to bring liability on the person in control. (for example a child getting access to a home defense pistol/rifle/shotgun and taking it out to play). Knowing the history of this particular item (passed from Grandfather to Father) adds a family heirloom component to the rifle. So, with those two things (and I am sure there may be others that I am missing) you have an item that a lawyer could argue has intrinsic value far in excess of its fair market value. You also have something that could pose a danger were it just tossed out. The thought, at first glance of handing this over to the police seems to be a way of divesting the OP of any responsibility or liability down the road. This is negated, as discussed by the OP as it is understood that the police can and have disposed of firearms in their possession. At this point the original owner has not accused anyone of anything. However that may/could change down the road and I believe that this potential for an issue down stream was the driving factor in the OP's posting.

I am actually glad this item has had the discussion we have seen. Shows the group has opinions, understanding of human nature and a sense of right and wrong. As well it gives me a sense of where the posters are coming from. This is typed at 4am and I should be asleep, however one of the reasons I like the forum is that we have an opportunity to ask and receive input from many in a way that we can easily get an idea of the skill or qualification(s) of the posters based upon their replies. We also get information regarding questions we have not yet thought to ask. And I have strayed well away from the original question so shall attempt to get more sleep now.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    CanTex, you may have STARTED typing at 4am but post time says you gotz fat fingerz. Lol

Several (but not G&G) have said to turn it into the PD. I don't recall a reasonable reason for doing so until you mentioned in the old days, PD would attempt to find owner. But apparently that no longer matters.

I never sensed G&G was concerned w/rifle owner's potential charges, she's simply trying to do the right thing by trying to return it.

A lawyer will try to make a Girl Scout look bad, you just gotta pay'em enough.

Do de do de do, off to work I go.

alexrex20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2011
    A hair dryer can be just as dangerous as a rifle. Should it be turned into the police as well?

Reminds me of a bumper sticker:
    If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words?

Glitter and Guns

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    DFW
    Warning: I know I am about to sound very female.

My post initially was to what (if anything) I should do to be sure I was dealing with any legalities of holding on to this rifle for an extended time. I was very caught off guard when the suggestion was to give it to the police for probable destruction. I do understand the concern that the loaner might at some point call the police and say that I stole it. I don't think he would ever do that (mostly because if he just showed up I would hand it to him)... but let's assume that he does. Let's assume the police showed up today - they would meet a strung out man with a suspended DL saying that I stole his gun 1.5 years ago. When the nice police officer knocked on my door (the same door that I have lived behind for the entire 1.5 years) he would find a reasonably respected woman with a science fair project in process on my dining table (last year's winning project on the side board as inspiration). And he would find my living room covered in student council fund raising Tshirts that were sold to raise money to buy Christmas gifts for underprivileged Sr. Citizens (the kids raise funds a year in advance for this project) and me- volunteer mom - sorting the tshirts so that they can be distributed. Oh, and if he knocked today he would find a pot of soup already started on the stove. Now, let's be honest... IF a strung out guy with his life in the toilet showed up saying that a responsible member of the community stole something (especially something that she happily handed back to him), who would you believe? Maybe I am wrong, but I am willing to take a bet that I win the "who to believe" contest. I am practically "apple pie" with sparkly jeans!

And, to sound even more like a female - I just can't see having a family heirloom destroyed. I don't know if my buddy will get himself back together. But if he does I don't see how I can look him in the eye and say "oh, hey! Glad you drug yourself out of the pits of hell. Your grandaddy's rifle? Oh, well, I had the police destroy that because you were busy going through hell. But glad you are better now!"

So... Since I have no nefarious plans for the gun, I am going to bet on my feminine charms and all American persona to keep me out of jail if the gun were to be reported stolen. But I do appreciate everyone's input on the issue. I have learned a lot. Oh, and for the record I did make another attempt at finding him via and old girlfriend of his (no longer speaking, but ran in sort of the same circles). She said that he has absolutely just gone. I checked the Texas inmate list and he isn't showing there. Keeping my fingers crossed that he is holed up in some rehab some where putting all the pieces back together. To go from such a good life to such a cruddy one that fast is just the most frightening thing.

Glitter and Guns

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    DFW
    I agree with TRN. You seem to have made up your mind. Run with that. Your reasoning makes all the sense in the world. :)

BTW, you have been "Out of context'd"
    http://www.texasguntalk.com/forums/...5-out-context-quote-thread-15.html#post366152

Now come on!!! "I am practically 'apple pie' with sparkly jeans!" is just an amazing line! You know you are going to use it at some point... you are just waiting for the opportunity and your heart will do a little dance when you finally get to use it!

ChunkyMonkey

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2011
    San Antonio, Tx
    A hair dryer can be just as dangerous as a rifle. Should it be turned into the police as well?

Reminds me of a bumper sticker:
    If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words?

Sure it can be. As a police officer, I can tel you if someone turned in the firearm as found/recovered property and listed who the owner may be, we have tried contacting the owners. She seems so worried about ramifications that folks were suggesting it as a way to just end the ordeal. have you been with the.thread since post #1? Lol, you easily see that.

Top Bottom