Venture Surplus ad

What did you do today in the world of reloading?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thescoutranch

TN Transplant - We love living in TX
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 5, 2020
    Georgetown
    Just put an order in with in-line fabrication. Getting the flush mount bench adapter, and the mounting plates for 4 presses and a vise. Also picked up the wall-mounted storage adapters for the different mounts.

Picked up a mini split that I will install this week for the reloading/office room.

Modified my 2 portable work benches for the new big fixed workbench.

Last thing I have to purchase is a cheap 10’ kitchen countertop for the big bench.

So close.

CodyK

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Houston
    I saw some Accurate 4350 on the shelf at the LGS last week, so I grabbed a couple lb’s. I have pretty good loads worked up for my 6.5 creedmoor with H4350 and IMR4350, so I figured I would give the Accurate a try. WOW! Went Monday and tested a few different loads with 3 shot groups, and it was pretty impressive, but I like to confirm with a 5 shot group to make sure. So I went back today to confirm with 5 shot groups, and test some small rifle primer brass too. Results:

589cc6b13db31daec9d3410b63b58e32.jpg

f0f5fec49cc1277ff2ce37966d0efc05.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TEXAS "All or nothing"

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2021
    Texas
    Did some reorganizing. Bought some T-nuts for more of flexibility on mounting the 550's and other reloading equipment along with gun maintenance and building. Use some strap as guides to hold the 550's along the wall. Under is a chest with other 550 associated equipment, Lee single stage presses, Lyman trim equipment and scales. To the left is for more shelf storage. Left of that is wire racks with AR (10 and 15) parts, Glock parts and BA build equipment. I don't fish, but use those plastic tackle boxes for part storage. Soon I'll work on better organizing the bench tops. Not sure if I'm using something rubber or what for covering the top?

Attachments

• 20220608_175231.jpg
      20220608_175231.jpg
      332.6 KB · Views: 43

CDF

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    N. of ATX
    Stuck case?
    Yep. Not nearly as easy to deal with as an RCBS die since you can't drop the expender/decapper assy. out with the case.

I hate when that happens but I guess I was overdue since I haven't had a stuck case in years. Usually I lube multiple cases and then run them through the die. I didn't do that this time and paid the price.

CodyK

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Houston
    Dang good groups man. I can't get mine smaller than .448.

Imagine if I had halfway decent equipment, and was more consistent with my brass prep and loading! I use basic Lee or RCBS dies and I load on a turret press (I took out the indexing rod). Brass I use is 3 and 4 times fired, mixed headstamp, factory brass, that I anneal using a drill, deep socket, and handheld propane torch. Even though I try to be consistent in sizing, by full length sizing and bumping my shoulder back .0015- .0020, most of the time my measurements are all over the place! Probably because of the turret press, and the slop in the removable turrets. The scale I use for measuring powder is a Frankford Arsenal that I bought off Amazon that is not nearly as precise as I would like. And because of the components shortage, I have 4 different brands of primers, and 3 different 4350 powders that I have been trying to get load data for that shoots well in my rifle. I’ve got some of my loadings wrote down in a data log book, but I’m embarrassed to say, some of my data is on a post it note, stuck in the notes section of a Hornady reloading book! It’s pretty amazing the damn things hit the paper probably!

schmellba99

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2008
    Houston & San Antonio
    I knocked the dust off my press not too long ago and loaded up a bunch of 147 subsonic 9's for my suppressed MP5 clone. Was a lot of fun, at least after I remembered my technique and processes on the LnL AP. Still want to get an automatic case loader for it one of these days to remove one of the steps that I have to do manually but that's down the road some yet. Then again, I've been saying I'm going to get one for about 15 or 20 years now and still haven't done it.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Imagine if I had halfway decent equipment, and was more consistent with my brass prep and loading! I use basic Lee or RCBS dies and I load on a turret press (I took out the indexing rod). Brass I use is 3 and 4 times fired, mixed headstamp, factory brass, that I anneal using a drill, deep socket, and handheld propane torch. Even though I try to be consistent in sizing, by full length sizing and bumping my shoulder back .0015- .0020, most of the time my measurements are all over the place! Probably because of the turret press, and the slop in the removable turrets. The scale I use for measuring powder is a Frankford Arsenal that I bought off Amazon that is not nearly as precise as I would like. And because of the components shortage, I have 4 different brands of primers, and 3 different 4350 powders that I have been trying to get load data for that shoots well in my rifle. I’ve got some of my loadings wrote down in a data log book, but I’m embarrassed to say, some of my data is on a post it note, stuck in the notes section of a Hornady reloading book! It’s pretty amazing the damn things hit the paper probably!

Dude, other than the annealing part, I'm doing the same things. Though I do have a bunch of CCI primers. Lee 4-hole turret press, couldn't find Lee dies so I have Hornady dies. Recently bought Star and another brand of new brass. Maybe that will help, but at my age / eyes .448 may be as good as it gets with 6.5CM. I have done a 3/8" group with 223. But that's my tightest overall group.

Keep up the good work.

CodyK

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Houston
    Dude, other than the annealing part, I'm doing the same things. Though I do have a bunch of CCI primers. Lee 4-hole turret press, couldn't find Lee dies so I have Hornady dies. Recently bought Star and another brand of new brass. Maybe that will help, but at my age / eyes .448 may be as good as it gets with 6.5CM. I have done a 3/8" group with 223. But that's my tightest overall group.

Keep up the good work.

I enjoy reloading quite a bit. Plus every time I work up a new or different load, I have to go to the range! The range is my “happy place”!

unicom

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2016
    I de-primed about 200 pieces of 223 brass. Have a couple hundred more to go. Thinking about primming them first then tumbling them to get the case lube off. Not sure this will help to keep the walnut shell media out of the flash hole. Or should I completely reload the bullet then tumble it?

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Thinking about primming them first then tumbling them to get the case lube off.

Depending on how you're working, you don't need to get lube on cases to de-prime them before cleaning. That only happens if you are only depriming during sizing. There are plenty of ways to de-prime cases without lubing them up and running them through a sizing die.

If you need to clean your cases, de-prime without sizing.

Not sure this will help to keep the walnut shell media out of the flash hole.

Putting walnut shell dust (and there's always a little, no matter how new your media is) into the primer cup doesn't seem like a good way to ensure consistent ignition. Tumble your brass, only. No primers.

Or should I completely reload the bullet then tumble it?

Never, NEVER, NEVER do this. Gunpowder is a particular shape, e.g flakes, spheres, little cut extrusions. It's formulated to work while in it's normal shape.

Tumbling or using a vibratory cleaner on loaded ammo will eventually turn powder, no matter the shape, into a fine dust. When you do that, you've exponentially increased the surface area of the powder resulting in much faster ignition. As it's designed, gunpowder creates a controlled burn (a fast burn, yes, but controlled to within design specifications) that releases a lot of gas to expel a bullet. When you turn it into something resembling talcum powder, there's far less control on the burn rate. It pretty much all goes up at once.

Basically, tumbling or vibrating ammo is a good way to turn each round into a gun-wrecking (and maybe shooter-wrecking) little bomb.

Never use a vibratory cleaner or a tumbler to clean loaded rounds. Never.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I de-primed about 200 pieces of 223 brass. Have a couple hundred more to go. Thinking about primming them first then tumbling them to get the case lube off. Not sure this will help to keep the walnut shell media out of the flash hole. Or should I completely reload the bullet then tumble it?

I resize then tumble again before priming on my rifle rounds. I inspect the flash holes and use a pick to clear them if needed.

On bulk loadings on my progressive press I just put a universal decapper in station one to clear flash holes.

Keep in mind you might have to ream primer pockets if the primers were crimped in.

unicom

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2016
    I use a resizing die with decamping the usually tumble to get off lube. And always end up with walnut media in a occasional primer hole. Just looking to see if there is another way to case prep without getting media to n primer hole. I may just invest in a universal decapping die.

Top Bottom