Texas SOT

What did you do today in the world of reloading?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    Got some 480 Ruger brass sized and primed yesterday. I'm debating whether I want to go out and try to warm the shop up to finish loading them. It's wet and miserable out there today.
    The cast boolits forum has a pay it forward box that's going around. Last time I had it j put a couple dozen 480 brass in there. Think it's still in there.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk
    DK Firearms

Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    The cast boolits forum has a pay it forward box that's going around. Last time I had it j put a couple dozen 480 brass in there. Think it's still in there.

I am beyond good on that. I bought a ton of reloading supplies from the guy I bought the gun from so I have nearly 500 pieces of brass for it.

I'll leave it for someone who needs it. Thanks for the heads up though.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    I am beyond good on that. I bought a ton of reloading supplies from the guy I bought the gun from so I have nearly 500 pieces of brass for it.

I'll leave it for someone who needs it. Thanks for the heads up though.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    I've never actually known of anyone owning a 480 before. My hat goes off to you, sir!

Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I've never actually known of anyone owning a 480 before. My hat goes off to you, sir!

I know of at least one other guy here who owns one. They're around, but kind of fall into that same niche as 41 Magnum. It's a wonderful round that just unfortunetly didn't get the attention it deserved, but thankfully ended up with enough of a cult following to keep it alive.

If you're into big bore magnums, I'd definitely recommend one. Coming from 44 mag, I don't feel the recoil is that much worse than top end 44 mag, at least not out of a big and heavy Ruger SBH Bisley. You can actually shoot a few cylinder fulls without being sore the next day.

GP40X

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 1, 2021
    League City, TX
    Spent way too much money today. Purchased a Lee New Auto Prime priming tool with a No 1 Priming tool shell holder and a Lee Primer Pocket Cleaner tool at the Gun Show to go with the 38 Special Lee Loader I bought last week. Paid WAY TOO MUCH for 300 CCI 500 small pistol primers ($36.00) at the gun show but I REFUSE to pay $55.00 a box for plinking ammo or $50.00 to $75.00 for a box of 25 carry rounds. Also picked up 200 Hornady 125 gr XTP bullets and a 1 Lb keg of Unique. Picked up a digital scale earlier this week that measures in Grains from Amazon, a Hornady Powder Trickler from Cabela's and 400 pieces of Hornady 38 Special Brass at Academy yesterday (got real luck on the brass, 2 200 count boxes). If I have to hand assemble rounds with a hammer, at least they should be accurate loads (I hope). I haven't reloaded for a pistol since reloading .45 ACP with a Lee Loader when I was a kid (late 60's/early 70's).

mad88minute

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 13, 2017
    Houston
    Cleaned and polished a bucket of 357 brass.

Brass was pretty nasty with a little corrosion, soaked it in hot water and citric acid. Polished up ok
    bd2be8ccee85689f7c43f06b97392161.jpg

Sent from my moto e6 using Tapatalk

CodyK

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Houston
    Leaving to go hunting Thursday, and the ranch were going to has a pretty nice range, so I’m gonna take some toys to play with between hunts. Gonna try and get 1,000 rounds of 9mm, 1,000 rounds of 45, 500 rounds of 10mm, and 500 rounds of 44 mag finished up before I leave. About half way there now. I don’t have a progressive, I have a Lee turret press. Easier than a single stage, but still gonna take some time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mad88minute

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 13, 2017
    Houston
    Leaving to go hunting Thursday, and the ranch were going to has a pretty nice range, so I’m gonna take some toys to play with between hunts. Gonna try and get 1,000 rounds of 9mm, 1,000 rounds of 45, 500 rounds of 10mm, and 500 rounds of 44 mag finished up before I leave. About half way there now. I don’t have a progressive, I have a Lee turret press. Easier than a single stage, but still gonna take some time.

That's a lot of reps on the press.

Sent from my moto e6 using Tapatalk

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    Spent way too much money today. Purchased a Lee New Auto Prime priming tool with a No 1 Priming tool shell holder and a Lee Primer Pocket Cleaner tool at the Gun Show to go with the 38 Special Lee Loader I bought last week. Paid WAY TOO MUCH for 300 CCI 500 small pistol primers ($36.00) at the gun show but I REFUSE to pay $55.00 a box for plinking ammo or $50.00 to $75.00 for a box of 25 carry rounds. Also picked up 200 Hornady 125 gr XTP bullets and a 1 Lb keg of Unique. Picked up a digital scale earlier this week that measures in Grains from Amazon, a Hornady Powder Trickler from Cabela's and 400 pieces of Hornady 38 Special Brass at Academy yesterday (got real luck on the brass, 2 200 count boxes). If I have to hand assemble rounds with a hammer, at least they should be accurate loads (I hope). I haven't reloaded for a pistol since reloading .45 ACP with a Lee Loader when I was a kid (late 60's/early 70's).
    Did your powder scale come with a standard weight to calibrate? 12 cp primers I guess ain't too bad nowadays. At least get a single stage press. You are going to be so much happier.

BigTexasOne

Support gun control! Hit what you aim at!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2016
    Springtown
    broke and replace a pawl on my Hornady Lock-n-Load press while loading .45acp because one of those stupid small primer cases got past me and jammed up the primer install plunger

andre3k

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 8, 2008
    Houston
    Loaded up more slugs, this time I used them to break in my IWI TS-12. This was a fiery little load which had 6 inch flames shooting out of my ejection port. A very mild load that I could shoot all day. I really need to get them chronographed.

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    Watch out if you load 10mm too. Federal and at least one other manufacturer uses the “environmentally friendly” small primers on them too!

You’re joking right? The small primer 45’s are bad enough, I certainly don’t need it in 10mm.

TipBledsoe

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 28, 2020
    LaVernia TX
    I got a good deal on some 44 Special brass. I guess the demand must be more for 44 magnum and 44 special is getting overlooked for use in 44 magnum revolvers.

Top Bottom