• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DubiousDan

Trump 2024
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    San Antonio
    I like the 243 and the 308. Both are accurate and will take down anything in Texas. However on the down side, the 243 will ruin a lot of meat. For me that was an issue when I was still hunting so I moved to the 35 Rem. With the options you mentioned, I'd go with the 308 and take up reloading. You can load a heavy bullet at a lower velocity. For a reloader there are a gazillion different bullets and loads available for the 308.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    chicks at my house prefer the 243 4 to 1 (and she's trying to act tough).

less kick, just as good a game getter as the 270, with a fraction of the recoil; just as good a game getter as the 308, with less recoil.

That's for anything in Texas. If you go outside Texas, the answer is different.

FYI, I reload the Hornady SST bullets, and they are more than enough. In fact, they are just plain devastating. FYI, you can also buy those at Academy and other places if you don't reload.

Elbe

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    San Antonio
    RugerAmerican 004.jpg

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I had a chance to look over the Ruger American rifle and was pretty impressed with it. I did NOT have a chance to shoot one. I'd give it a "thumbs up" along with the Remington SPS.

Your choice of calibers is a bit more important as it will determine whether your rifle is a long action or a short one. 30-06 and .270 are long cartridges and .243/.308 are short. There will be a dimensional and weight difference between the two lengths.

I like the 30-06 but the .308 is a bit cheaper to shoot. I would stay with either of the .30 calibers as the selection of bullets is wide open. In .243, your selection of bullets and loads is limited. I load for all but the .243 and enjoy lots of choices in components with the .270 giving fewer options than .308 or 30-06.

My choice? .308.

Enjoy your new rifle!

Flash

TexasVine

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Lakeway/Fredericksburg
    I switched from 300 WSM to 308 a few years ago, a 270 is my back up rifle. Taken several buck, Axis and Aoudad with no problem using a Federal Premium 168 gr Match King BTHP. Works well a short and long distances just great.

Top Bottom