• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Elbe

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    San Antonio
    I think I will purchase the Ruger American rifle. I am not sure what caliber to buy. I am a newb, so I do not really understand what caliber is best for various game. What do you all use for deer and hogs?

The other consideration is ammo cost. The Ruger American comes in .243, .308, .270, and 30-06. Which one is middle of the road in terms of cost?
    Gun Zone Deals

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    .308 or .270, the .308 would probably be cheaper for range time cause you should be able to find some surplus ammo.

.243 is a great round but you may find it underpowered for larger hogs. I still love mine for deer and wouldn't trade it for anything.

The 30/06 is gonna have some kick and won't do anything your wanton to do better than the .308 or .270. Plus, they both shoot flatter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    In Texas, hunting is 92% shot placement, 8% bullet selection, and 0.0001% caliber.

I prefer short action calibers. . .because they are shorter, lighter, and work better with shorter barrels (which I like). I prefer .243 winchester, but there isn't any reason not to go .308 either. You can get surplus 7.62x51Nato relatively inexpensive, and match ammo can be found for about $1ish/round.

Show me the pig that will die from a 308 and not from a .243.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Show me the pig that will die from a 308 and not from a .243.

I wasn't trying to down talk the .243, I have one and love it. Will likely always have one. And I have used it for hog hunting. However hogs have some pretty tough areas on their body which at longer distances and/or on larger hogs would need to be avoided when taking a shot.

If I were hunting and spotted hogzilla at 250 yrds I would definatly wish I had a .308. The .243 just doesn't have quite as much momentum for punching through is all. Still a great multi purpose round.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Elbe

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    San Antonio
    I'd go out and see what you could put your hands on before you bought anything. Why wastefully spend your money.

Valid point, however, the only people I know with rifles are on here, and none of you live by me. Has not every gun owner taken a chance on something they have never shot before? The Ruger American is in my price range. Of course, I still need a scope for it, but that's another topic.

Top Bottom