• easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Shortsighted bastard.

The IRS needs fixing, not starving. Or they need their basic mission removed from the law, after which we can dissolve the agency.

But continuing to rely on them for revenue while simultaneously hobbling them is so two-faced it beggars description.
    Do you really think 87,000 new agents would help fix the IRS?
    Texas SOT

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne

New does not equal net growth and agent doesn’t equal criminal investigator.

87K over ten years (which is what that number revolves around) results in break even after retirements and separations are accounted for at best and likely results in an overall decline given IRS end-strength is capped by law and currently sits at ~79K employees.

ETA, that 79K number is about 15% smaller than it was a decade ago. The link provides the data.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    New does not equal net growth and agent doesn’t equal criminal investigator.

87K over ten years (which is what that number revolves around) results in break even after retirements and separations are accounted for at best and likely results in an overall decline given IRS end-strength is capped by law and currently sits at ~79K employees.

ETA, that 79K number is about 15% smaller than it was a decade ago. The link provides the data.
    Yeah, I worked for the government. Numbers of employees doesn't equal efficiency. They've made it hard to terminate deadweight in the workforce. You don't just throw numbers at a problem to fix it, they need a better hiring strategy.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    I worked for the gov't too. It was the antithesis of efficiency. I did some decent work, but only within the boundaries of what I was allowed to do. Most of my week was filled with doing extraneous things that didn't really benefit the citizens I worked for.

So while it was really nice being paid well (for the area), the truth is what little work I was allowed to do left me feeling very underutilized. My day could be filled doing things like:
    - Being on call, sitting on the rocks at the lakefront watching the boats go by
    - Riding my motorcycle all day visiting the offices of the outlying village town halls, who were VERY grateful someone even cared enough to stop by. I did fix quite a few little things that nobody wanted to leave their comfy office chairs to help with, so I guess this was a net positive.
    - Visiting friends and talking for hours in all the various departments.
    - Grabbing lunch in the jail because why not.
    - Trying to convince some deputies they really needed more pistol training, so I could use the range in the basement. Never happened :(
    - Pissing off the boyfriend of a gal in the Sheriff's office by trading homemade dinner for helping her with her computer at home. Hey, I stayed respectful, I just threw it out there and she said ok. Apparently she never cooked for him. I was good and never messed with the daughters of one of the captains, but we are still friends to this day.
    - Unwittingly convincing the guys in the drug unit I was secretly dating their intel girl. Oh, and pulling Cat5 in the building drilling holes with 9mm ball.

Know what I did get in trouble for though? Buying a $20 monitor cable without getting approval.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    No.

Besides the point by toddnjoyce, the most beneficial thing about 87K new agents would be the opportunity to beef up agent support and reactivate certain program areas. There are whole sections of tax law that are literally not being enforced, at all in any way, because no one is assigned or trained for them. That happens when an agency has a mission that gets bigger and bigger every time the economy grows but has had its budget cut repeatedly for 20 years or more.
    they need a better hiring strategy.
    QFT.

Their hiring strategy for the last big group of newly hired agents was so bad is was offensive. Because they were given a few dollars to hire people but also given insufficient money to train them or hire support staff, the agency tried to hire experienced people who would need minimum training. To do that, they gave signing bonuses. If you were a CPA with extensive oil and gas experience, for example, you got a $50K hiring bonus to remain with the agency for 2 years.

Just about every one of them stuck around for 2 years, put a new and useful entry on their resume, and resigned.

What a cluster that was. :(

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    "Unauthorized procurement" is, in my experience, one of the fastest ways to get fired from a federal job.
    I thought it funny, because the call was to fix the workstation that was down, and I wasn't the person who physically made the purchase. I asked the lady, not sure what her title was, but she was the woman who handled small purchases. "Do you want me to order the cable?" "Yes please"

Few days later I'm in the director's office getting chewed out.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    I thought it funny, because the call was to fix the workstation that was down, and I wasn't the person who physically made the purchase. I asked the lady, not sure what her title was, but she was the woman who handled small purchases. "Do you want me to order the cable?" "Yes please"

Few days later I'm in the director's office getting chewed out.

Yep. There are relatively few people who are authorized to commit federal funds. The purchaser should not have asked you, but by saying yes, that’s a violation.

SA_Steve

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 1, 2014
    San Antonio, Texas USA
    I worked for NASA in Houston as a college student one summer, the Radiation and Fields group. I lasted 2 weeks. No work at all going on. Several employees slept the afternoon away.

To buy any electrical parts like resistors (20 cent items) had to go across the base and visit a computer center where they searched gov stores the world over to see if any were 'in stock'.

They did have a source in the radiation security division who would call my area with the inspection schedule so we could secure any hazards.

I quit and enrolled in summer classes at the university, much better use of time.

SA_Steve

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 1, 2014
    San Antonio, Texas USA
    Later in life I dated several women who worked at the CDC in Atlanta, GA. Most were dumb as stones (not a bad thing at all, they were great). Claimed all they did all day was visit with other bored employees.

I remember after covid fizzled when Rand Paul asked the CDC director if the lab workers were still working from home. Yes. Of course.

In my working years I worked with the gov's OPS, FAA, FEMSA, and NTSB. When their employees go on an inspection visit to their areas of responsibility, they bring contractors to do the work and report writing.

I did a big job at Kelly AFB almost 30 years ago. The busiest part of the base I was in was the break room. The base was scheduled for closure some years later yet many new steel buildings and dorms were being constructed.

• Sad
    Reactions: gll

A1Oni

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2021
    Tejas
    So it looks like Jeffries a democrat us going to be the next Speaker of the House. 19 Republicans voted for the demorat this i unbelievable in my opinion dems always vote in a huge block together conservatives don't have a clue.
    gee its not like both parties are in bed with eachother.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Anything you receive for work or investment is income. No deductions. Two low rates. One for those under the poverty line and one for those above.

Don't need many IRS agents for that scheme.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Anything you receive for work or investment is income. No deductions. Two low rates. One for those under the poverty line and one for those above.

Don't need many IRS agents for that scheme.

Corporate income? Deductible expenses? Credits?

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    I sleep well at night knowing my candidate has never implemented gun control, doesn’t like to “take the guns early”, and won’t “seriously look at” banning suppressors.
    Very well, in fact.
    View attachment 366505

Your VP candidate in 2016 (Bill Weld) was a hard core supporter of gun control.

In the 1990s he supported "assault weapons" bans. He has also come out in support of "Red Flag" laws, so your rights can secretly be restricted without you facing your accuser or having any defense in court, but don't worry because you can spend tens of thousands of dollars on attorneys' fees to try to get them back.

Maybe you should look into the guys you champion a bit instead of just feeling important for tossing your vote into the abyss. The 2016 election was the one that made me finally decide the Libertarians are not serious about doing anything but siphoning away conservative votes to thereby keep weak RINOs in office.

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    We are citizens of sovereign states...

The federal government should not be able to tax us directly. The federal government should establish a formula by which to equitably assess the states, and the states should tax their citizens by means as they determine best.

studenygreg

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2015
    When I see the things that thr libertarian party support and oppose , it mostly looks good and I'm on board. I usually abandon ship once I see and hear the candidates they push. What a bunch of flipping weirdos. What happened to the party after Ron Paul?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Top Bottom