• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Couyon

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 21, 2013
    NW of Austin
    From a previous thread, txinvestigator mentioned these guys... Lone Star Medics - Lone Star Medics. Looks like they have something coming up in Bastrop.

I have some of the same items mentioned and it includes quikclot products. I know there's concern about when to use quikclot in a civilian (911 available) environment. Any thoughts on that for inclusion in a civ IFAK?

rsayloriii

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    H-Town, TX
    I have some of the same items mentioned and it includes quikclot products. I know there's concern about when to use quikclot in a civilian (911 available) environment. Any thoughts on that for inclusion in a civ IFAK?

It's definitely only for a severe bleed out, IE gun shot wound, stabbing, major car wreck. If a band-aid or gauze will control the bleeding, use it first. If I remember correctly, there were some concerns about the original run of the quick clot gauze because, I believe, the clotting agent was derived from shellfish. Well, as such, anyone with a shellfish allergy shouldn't use it. However, I believe the current run addressed that issue. If the issue at hand warrants such a product, I would use it first and then worry about an allergic reaction (one reason why I keep benadryl in the pack and would like to get an epipen ... plus the GF is highly allergic to bees/wasps/etc).

Sam Colt

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Austin
    Tourniquet
    Pressure bandage
    2 chest seals - 1 vented
    Strap/clothes cutter
    Z-pack gauze
    Sharpie

it's useless if I don't carry it, so I make it as small and light as possible. It's designed to get me to the ambulance, vehicle or camp where more appropriate supplies are located.

Tx_Mark

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 26, 2014
    This reminds me I need to add quick clot to mines.

Don't use quick clot unless it's going to be a long time before medical professionals can arrive. That stuff is a pain in the ass to clean out of a wound, and hospitals hate it lol. If you can't stop the wound without compression, apply a TQ, and let it loose about every 30 seconds, it will keep a clot from forming and at the same time control bleeding.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Don't use quick clot unless it's going to be a long time before medical professionals can arrive. That stuff is a pain in the ass to clean out of a wound, and hospitals hate it lol. If you can't stop the wound without compression, apply a TQ, and let it loose about every 30 seconds, it will keep a clot from forming and at the same time control bleeding.

Interesting. Thanks!

HKaltwasser

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0

Yep, this what my 2 combat medic friends told me as well. I believe the older stuff can cause an allergic reaction too, if you're allergic to shellfish.

Never mind, that's Celox.

Last edited:

shooterfpga

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Conroe, TX
    The older stuff can give you a second degree burn
    I know this is an old thread but i figure i would give an update to what is common practice now instead of quikclot. All you would do is continually pack the wound with guaze now. A large roll of it and pack it until you think its enough or the bleeding has stopped.

Top Bottom