Lynx Defense

Tips for removing a stubborn castle nut?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    You do know that they make single point attachment devices that don't require you to remove the castle nut right? You slip off the plastic stock, slip on the adapter, tighten, reinstall the stock and away you go. No need for special tools.
    ARJ Defense ad

Flewda

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 5, 2012
    Ohio (But my heart is in Texas)
    You do know that they make single point attachment devices that don't require you to remove the castle nut right? You slip off the plastic stock, slip on the adapter, tighten, reinstall the stock and away you go. No need for special tools.

Heh, I may do that honestly. I tried and tried yesterday again, after heating it up really good and hot, and that thing didn't budge AT ALL. Depending on how much that costs versus how much a gunsmith would charge to loosen it up I might just get that. I was wondering about that yesterday actually, I figured there had to be something out there that installs that way. Thanks.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    When I worked in the Oil Patch, I was taught to apply torque then smack the threads with a hammer. Eight round and ten round pipe threads can't be broken loose without massaging them with a hammer. Later, while working in a steel mill, we had some real bugger bolts to repair almost every hour of the shift. When things got tough, one guy would apply a steady torque to the bolt and another would hit it with a punch and a hammer. The vibration did the job every time!

As the guys stated above, never remove a stuck thread dry. Soak it down with penetrating oil, first.

The most important step is to get your mind right. That SOB is going to come loose. If it won't go easy, then it will go tough but it WILL go!

Flash

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    Depending on how much that costs versus how much a gunsmith would charge to loosen it up I might just get that. I was wondering about that yesterday actually, I figured there had to be something out there that installs that way. Thanks.

I think I paid about $25 for the last ones I bought. Wish you were in Houston, I got a spare.

Here is a picture to give you an idea what you may be looking for. I think any of the options below would be cheaper than visiting a gunsmith.

P4130054.jpg

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/71...mbidextrous-loop-ar-15-carbine-aluminum-matte

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/28...-qd-sling-swivel-ar-15-carbine-aluminum-matte

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/413415/troy-industries-professional-grade-rear-sling-mount-adapter-2-position-ambidextrous-with-quick-detach-sling-swivel-ar-15-carbine-aluminum-black

Stumpy

Landman/Presbyterian
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2009
    Slaton, TX

link?

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    Do those still allow the stock to completely collapse back down?

Yes, I just put it on my rifle to show you how it fits. (No, I don't normally have 4 attachment points on my rifle within 1/4 inch of each other, at the same time. ) It completely slips over the castle nut, and uses an allen wrench to tighten it down. Real easy to install, and un-install without any damage, vices, blow torches, specialized tools, etc. While that is all good, you can see the system I went with, had to install all the parts anyway, so it was not needed on this build. This part was originally purchased for a deployed family member who did not like the idea of having to take his rifle to an armorer to get it modified, wanted to do it himself. Well since he got issued a plain jane M-16 this tour, he could not use it.

The top photo shows the MagPul CTR stock at it's last "clicked" in position.

The bottom photo shows when the stock is pushed as far as it will go, and not locked in position. There is still a bit of a gap.

I would probably look at the Daniel Defense system before I bought another one of these. Think it's an upgrade from this one.

sps.jpg

Top Bottom