• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BG1960

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Unincorporated East Harris County
    I did, I thought long and hard about how Dewhurst got his ass kicked by someone with little money and less name recognition. Seein' as how that turned out so well, I'm hoping that someone pops up to Primary Big John.

Jeffrey

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2013
    Longview, Tx
    We could do a lot worse than John Cornyn. We need to think long and hard before throwing him off the bus.
    I'm not playing "the lesser of two evils" game. All that's brought us is candidates like Mitt O'Bomney, and John McCain. As long as the republicans know that we'll obediently line up behind whatever stuffed shirt they tell us to, that's all we'll get.

Dash Riprock

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Austin
    I did, I thought long and hard about how Dewhurst got his ass kicked by someone with little money and less name recognition. Seein' as how that turned out so well, I'm hoping that someone pops up to Primary Big John.

And what if there isn't another Ted Cruz waiting in the wings? Are you going to stay home and let Julio Castro or Kirk Watson take that seat? That's not a "lesser of two evils" choice. That's a "throwing a tantrum because this guy didn't vote my way 3 or 4 times out of 1000 so I'm going to let a raging liberal represent me for six years" choice.

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    And what if there isn't another Ted Cruz waiting in the wings? Are you going to stay home and let Julio Castro or Kirk Watson take that seat? That's not a "lesser of two evils" choice. That's a "throwing a tantrum because this guy didn't vote my way 3 or 4 times out of 1000 so I'm going to let a raging liberal represent me for six years" choice.
    You do understand how elections work right? If there is an opponent who garners enough support then there is a primary for the republican candidate for that seat. Whoever wins that race gets to go up against the democrats candidate. So regardless a strong republican candidate will be fielded whether its the incumbent or someone strong enough to beat the incumbent.

Dash Riprock

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Austin
    Yes, I understand how elections work. Is there another Ted Cruz challenging Cornyn for the Republican nomination? I don't follow this stuff as closely as I used to but if there is, I've not heard of him. If there is, I'll vote for him. But if there's not, chances are very high that Cornyn will get the GOP nomination.

He will go up against an absolute fool of a Democrat who, among other things, will be chomping at the bit to reinstate an "assault" weapons ban, or worse. Are you going to take to your ball and go home, and by doing so let the fool wreak six years of havoc, because you think Cornyn voted the wrong way on some arcane procedural motion in what's going to ultimately turn out to be a losing effort to defund Obamacare? That makes no sense to me.

Cornyn's been good. Like, 95% good. Kirk Watson would be an absolute train wreck. I'll take 95% over a train wreck any day.

XinTX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 29, 2010
    South of Houston
    That's why to time to oppose Cornyn is in the primary. Which is what we're talking about here. Not sitting out the general election and handing to a Dem in protest. But Cornyn is being disingenuous by claiming he voted "against" ObamaCAIR. He voted for the part that guaranteed the Democrats the ability to reinsert it, then voted against the insertion. But the insertion never would have happened had he stood with other conservatives and voted no on cloture. So he voted for ObamaCAIR before he voted against it. Also recall, he was whipping votes in opposition of Cruz behind the scenes before the vote took place.

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    Not that I know of at this point but I was planning on creating a thread after this BS is over to vet a candidate. Its my hope that with his antics as of late that it will give a good candidate incentive to step up that may have previously been on the fence. In my love note to Cornyn I informed him that I would be supporting his opponent in the next election. Since theres no worry of getting the "lesser of two evils" in the senate election you can bet I'll be voting against him but should he win the primary then I will vote for him. My voting habits have nothing to do with throwing a tantrum if I dont get my way, its a calculated decision that depends on many factors. If we dont start standing for our principles we will continue to be stuck with these types that dont represent us. Its not a black and white decision which is why I understand the other side of the coin and I honestly dont how to get better candidates without letting trash from the other side in. All I can do is voice my opinion so thats what I've done.

Dash Riprock

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Austin
    That's why to time to oppose Cornyn is in the primary. Which is what we're talking about here. Not sitting out the general election and handing to a Dem in protest. But Cornyn is being disingenuous by claiming he voted "against" ObamaCAIR. He voted for the part that guaranteed the Democrats the ability to reinsert it, then voted against the insertion. But the insertion never would have happened had he stood with other conservatives and voted no on cloture. So he voted for ObamaCAIR before he voted against it. Also recall, he was whipping votes in opposition of Cruz behind the scenes before the vote took place.

There are plenty folks here and on other similar threads swearing they'll "never vote for Cornyn again". I take that to mean they'll stay home on election day, like many did when Romney and McCain were running, and risk letting a Julian Castro win the seat. I hope you are right. I hope everyone realizes what's at stake and acts accordingly. Know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em, as they say.

I know it's fashionable to jump on the guys who vote for cloture but there is a legitimate political strategy there also. Most of these "old school" guys have been around shutdowns before, and they know that Republicans always always always get blamed for it. By at least allowing the Senate to vote, they can possibly get a bill into play that can then be negotiated with the House, and hopefully deflect some of the obstructionist howls that will and surely did come. It also gets Senate Democrats on record as supporting this Obamacare nonsense at a time when it's starting to crash and burn on its own, even as we speak.

I'm not saying it's right, I'm saying it's legitimate. There are lots of ways to play this game, and just because one guy chooses to play it a little differently does not automatically make him a RINO, especially if you take a deep breath and look at his entire body of work and see that he's been with you virtually the entire way.

oldguy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    I will not vote for Cronyn again, he is a progressive, we continue to vote people like him into the GOP is a waste of a vote, if the hierarchy of the GOP wishes to nominate progressives then so be it, In the past I voted the lessor of two evils no more, that has passed.

Dash Riprock

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Austin
    Well, then get ready for Governor Wendy Davis, Senator Kirk Watson, and Clintons in the White House as far as the eye can see. Get ready to turn in your AR's and your 15 round Glock magazines, get ready to register everything else, get ready to pay for abortions, get ready for universal healthcare, a 60-70% dependency class that will make today's 35-40% look tame by comparison, among many, many other things I assume you don't want.

Texas truly is the main backstop to most of that right now. If we turn, it all falls apart, in fairly short order.

That's what we're facing and I sincerely hope everybody understands what's at stake.

oldguy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Well, then get ready for Governor Wendy Davis, Senator Kirk Watson, and Clintons in the White House as far as the eye can see. Get ready to turn in your AR's and your 15 round Glock magazines, get ready to register everything else, get ready to pay for abortions, get ready for universal healthcare, a 60-70% dependency class that will make today's 35-40% look tame by comparison, among many, many other things I assume you don't want.

Texas truly is the main backstop to most of that right now. If we turn, it all falls apart, in fairly short order.

That's what we're facing and I sincerely hope everybody understands what's at stake.
    I was at one time where your at and I understand your thinking however it has failed us, the GOP leadership, Rove, McCain, etc, all progressives have failed by pushing RINO's moving the bar left and we end up with the current administration. We're facing losing much more then what you speak of, our country is failing, morals, values, standards, the middle class is dying. The progressive wing of the GOP goes along with this, we simply don't have much time remaining to change things. The GOP IMO is making fools of the conservative base.

Last edited:

XinTX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 29, 2010
    South of Houston
    I'm not saying it's right, I'm saying it's legitimate. There are lots of ways to play this game, and just because one guy chooses to play it a little differently does not automatically make him a RINO, especially if you take a deep breath and look at his entire body of work and see that he's been with you virtually the entire way.

What "body of work"? Name one bill he's co-written or sponsored that reduces the government or government spending? What has he done to ease 2A infringement by the Feds? He's gone to DC and just played the game. And like the CR cloture vote, he makes a lot of symbolic votes that are conservative in nature, but do nothing in practice.

IMO, Cornyn is a dishonorable man and deserves no respect from me. He had his chance to take a stand, but instead went to a cocktail party and went to bed.

Jeffrey

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2013
    Longview, Tx
    Dash, if we would have knuckled under and accepted Mccain, or O'bomney, we wouldn't have Cruz, or Paul, or Lee, or Amash. Only our refusal to accept these "safe" candidates has gotten us the candidates that we actually want. If no one worth having rises up to take cornyn's spot, then I'll run against him as an independent, or a libertarian. Yes it will split the vote, but we have to continue the message until the republicans listen and remember.

Dash Riprock

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Austin
    What "body of work"? Name one bill he's co-written or sponsored that reduces the government or government spending? What has he done to ease 2A infringement by the Feds? He's gone to DC and just played the game. And like the CR cloture vote, he makes a lot of symbolic votes that are conservative in nature, but do nothing in practice.

The Constitution requires that spending bills originate in the House - no Senator sponsors "government spending bills".

What federal 2nd amendment infringements are you talking about - background checks? There's absolutely no appetite for that and it would be a complete loser politically right now. What have Paul, Cruz, Amash, or Lee done in this regard?

Those "symbolic conservative votes" that you dismiss are critical in beating back Feinstein et.al. and their incessant push to move the country left. When you have a guy like Cornyn who is rock solid on 2nd amendment issues, Reid knows that that is a vote he will not turn. But a Senator Julian Castro will lap it up, and then Feinstein is one vote closer, and then maybe a fence sitter is swayed, and next thing you know, we're turning in our AR's. Those "symbolic votes" matter. They would certainly matter if they went the other way.

Last edited:

Dash Riprock

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Austin
    Dash, if we would have knuckled under and accepted Mccain, or O'bomney, we wouldn't have Cruz, or Paul, or Lee, or Amash. Only our refusal to accept these "safe" candidates has gotten us the candidates that we actually want. If no one worth having rises up to take cornyn's spot, then I'll run against him as an independent, or a libertarian. Yes it will split the vote, but we have to continue the message until the republicans listen and remember.

I'm not going to relive the McCain campaign, as there was a lot going on with that that is not really related to the current situation. Suffice it to say that after 8 years of Bush, there was virtually no chance that any Republican was going to be elected, so you might as well give McCain his shot so maybe he'll shut up about it next time.

I don't understand your point about Romney. Cruz was elected at the same time, and Paul, Lee, and Amash were already there. What does Romney have to do with that?

Even if I grant you whatever point you're making about "knuckling under and accepting" McCain and "Obomney", how do you justify throwing the Supreme Court to the Democrats for eight, maybe 16, years? If McCain had won, we wouldn't have ultra leftists Kagan and Sontomayor in our faces for the next quarter century. Now, maybe McCain doesn't give us an Alito or Scalia, but whoever McCain nominates would be light years better than Kagan/Sontomayor. Ruth Ginsberg is not going to survive until 2016 - wouldn't you rather have Romney choose her successor than Obama? It's doubtful Scalia and maybe even Thomas will outlast two Hillary terms. Do you want the court stacked 6-3 or 7-2 left for the rest of our lifetimes? What do you think happens the next time a Heller comes before the court?

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    Maybe you do understand how the senate elections work but its obviously not sinking in. I think almost everyone in here can agree they'd support another candidatw over Cornyn but if Cornyn won the primary I dont think you'd find any us sitting at home to let an idiot like Castro slip in. Point blank nothing is going to change unless the GOP gets the message to stop nominating shit candidates. Maybe what we need is a hillary or Castro to get in and totally screw shit up for the ball to really get rolling on real reform. As the saying goes "its going to get worse before it gets better". The supreme court situation really does suck but look what the justice that bush appointed did to us! The SC is a friggin joke these days. Theres ONE justice that actually seems to use the rule of law rather than political affiliations. Ill keep clinging to my guns and Texas, shit gets too deepmmaybe we'll get lucky and rid ourselves of all the federal bullshit. Greg Abbott is just the man to lead our geeat state if shit really does hit the fan.

Top Bottom