• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • texas skeeter

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Somewhere here nor there....
    Skeeter I'm 35. I got 30 years of work left in me.
    It isn't so much being old and having enough years left in you. it's more of when guys hit their 40's to take a drastic pay cut to change jobs/fields hurts trying to pay the bills. Your age and income are at a very good level for you to make the change. An avg Refrig co. will pay 14-16$ an hr to a guy just starting out with a good work history and ethics. Combine this wage with 70-80 hrs a week and you are making more $. As you progress over 4-6 yrs by the time you'd hit 40, you'd be on your way to 100k. Avg experienced Refrig tech wages right now is 32$ an hr in Texas. Plus all the O.T. you can handle. More and more guys young and old DON'T seem to want overtime anymore. I guess it's the new breed of worker these days. HVAC and Refrigeration have always been jobs about the O.T.....

itchin

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    It isn't so much being old and having enough years left in you. it's more of when guys hit their 40's to take a drastic pay cut to change jobs/fields hurts trying to pay the bills. Your age and income are at a very good level for you to make the change. An avg Refrig co. will pay 14-16$ an hr to a guy just starting out with a good work history and ethics. Combine this wage with 70-80 hrs a week and you are making more $. As you progress over 4-6 yrs by the time you'd hit 40, you'd be on your way to 100k. Avg experienced Refrig tech wages right now is 32$ an hr in Texas. Plus all the O.T. you can handle. More and more guys young and old DON'T seem to want overtime anymore. I guess it's the new breed of worker these days. HVAC and Refrigeration have always been jobs about the O.T.....
    I've considered getting into refrigeration. Most places want you to be certified, and don't want to take a chance on someone without experience. I know a good deal about HVAC, not so much about low temp. I am not financially stable enough to be able to get certified and buy tools. If I could get a foot in the door and not take a hit I would seriously consider. I have 2 kids so insurance is very important. My daughter has a few medical issues, that without insurance would bankrupt me.

texas skeeter

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Certified NOTHING for refrigeration. All you need is an easy to get EPA card to start. Most of the Big boys refrigeration wise whom service Grocery store chains have great ins. after your 90 day period. And Heck I've got a garage full of tools you can HAVE with tool bag. I've got a desk job now and have NO plans to repair any of it ever again. LOL PM me when you get a chance...

TXDARKHORSE361

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 15, 2012
    I'll be transfering. The company I work for is major red tape so it'll take a little while. They are creating a position for me in corpus so it's gotta go through a few people. I should know my start date in the next week or so. I appreciate all the folks on here who have prayed and wished me luck. As soon as I get settled in one of the first things I plan on doing is having a beer with Daryl, and whoever else would like to join.

Already said congrats man, hopefully getting a new smoker soon so we'll have to break it in.

That is awesome dude!!! I'll be sad to not see you more often. I think it says a lot for you that Goodman is making a position for you. Either you or Daryl better put me up for a range day down there. I'll bring beer for afterwards.

You know it Robert

How old are you? The reason I ask is, If young enough you could change to a different field without income drastically changing. From the income you stated earlier in the thread, you should see about becoming an HVAC Technician or even try refrigeration. I've been at it for 28 yrs and now have moved on to an even better job. Even starting out from lowest on the totem pole, you get all the O.T. you can handle. And if you have 1/2 a brain like me, you can earned 100K plus after 5 yrs or so of being in the trade. PM me if you are interested as I have a few contacts down that way I could set you up with. Good luck with whatever you choose...

That's actually what I'm pursuing right now, I'm taking night classes at STVT in the ACHR program. I already do a little on the marine side at my current job and have (or can borrow) most of the tools I need and once I graduate here I'll get a pretty decent starter tool kit.

texas skeeter

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    That's actually what I'm pursuing right now, I'm taking night classes at STVT in the ACHR program. I already do a little on the marine side at my current job and have (or can borrow) most of the tools I need and once I graduate here I'll get a pretty decent starter tool kit.
    I did not take any of those classes back in the day to get started. I've managed numerous kids whom have and have not taken classes to get into the trade. A friend now that spent 12K to get some sort of certificate for HVAC/Refrig says all the time he wished he didn't spend the $ on the class. He just didn't know where or whom to apply with and the Certification got him in the door. PM me and I can give you some contacts wherever you are at....

TXDARKHORSE361

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 15, 2012
    Me tooo!!!!

No, not really... what's 211?

174b28f9064e07d3288c1ae021862ad6.jpg

itchin

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Alright. Things moved a bit quicker than I imagined. My start date in Corpus is the 16th. We are packing up and hoping to find a house to rent, and the timing works out. Either way I will be living and working in Corpus starting on the 16th. I appreciate everything guys, and look forward to getting to know the Corpus crew.

Top Bottom