• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sasquatch

30 Super Carry Post Whore 2K Champ
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    Your original statement was that, “I don’t think most people want to order a vehicle directly from the manufacture”

I am suggesting folks will certainly buy if the price is much cheaper. If it is not cheaper, they will move on to other buying criteria, such as who has the specific model they want in stock for quickest delivery.

If buying a car was as easy as buying from Amazon, most would do it.

Imagine if I could go to Chevrolet website, select Corvette, option it out - Z06, Red, etc, it then shows price and delivery date and offers “buy now”. Yeah that is exactly what I want. You can do it for other products (and Teslas), we need to be able to do it for other cars too.

Yep. If a credit card application can be approved or denied instantly - financing a car wouldn't be much harder. There is no good, justifiable reason for the hours-long process to buying a car. Last damn car purchase we made still took us six hours at the damn dealership start to finish because the sales manager and finance manager had paperwork. We were stuck there, because they'd already processed our trade in, so that wasn't ours anymore. We were the last ones out of the damn dealership that night.

You can buy a used car online real easy these days - places like Carvana, CarMax, eBay motors, etc have made that easy. No reason the new-car purchase can't be made as smoothly. It might take you a little bit of time to input your numbers into their credit app, but the decision could be made instantly, or you have your options put up. Shit, people get mortgages for homes online with a ten or fifteen minute process.

Car buying sucks.
    Guns International

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I’d love to own a C6 Z06
    C5 Z06 for me...

donut-media-popup-headlights.gif

I thought Fiat owned them?
    Yes, but... FIAT merged with Peugeot and formed a new company that sounds like a drug to treat IBS.

I think this map is current...
    1661261750161.png

Hang in there. Maybe Chrysler will offer an SRT Pacifica before they move it all to plug.
    If they made a Hellcat Pacifica with a manual, I'd be all over that faster than you could say 24.9% APR.

1661261933925.png

Yes, and the Corvette that you can get for $70k has 100 more hp.
    :laughing: you know damn well a base model 911 is a nicer drive than an optioned up vette

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    So the GM of Mac Haik has already posted his apology, and the assumption is GM stepped in and put the screws to them. New Z06's will sell for MSRP and ONLY MSRP across the board.

082222_15b.jpg
    I imagine thousands ratted them out to GM. What a shit show the dealer brought on themselves for such little overall profit.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Yep. If a credit card application can be approved or denied instantly - financing a car wouldn't be much harder. …
    Credit approval for a car loan occurs just as quick as a credit card. Unless you’re a low income/high LTV/large loan amount applicant.

But you know that. The F&I department is one of the largest profit centers in a dealer. Add to it the impatience factor (I’m not leaving here without this vehicle) and it’s a ripe way to get a customer to pay as much as possible for the vehicle.

Sasquatch

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    Credit approval for a car loan occurs just as quick as a credit card. Unless you’re a low income/high LTV/large loan amount applicant.

But you know that. The F&I department is one of the largest profit centers in a dealer. Add to it the impatience factor (I’m not leaving here without this vehicle) and it’s a ripe way to get a customer to pay as much as possible for the vehicle.

Yep. They had the loan approved in short order, it was all the other damn games they play that kept us there. The finance manager *did* have another couple ahead of us to sign docs, but the whole doc signing thing doesn't take that damn long.

Next vehicle we purchase will be for cash, used. Not super hot on the notion of trying to buy a new car any time in the next few years, simply because its going to take that long for things to normalize again. And with Bidenflation, its not like prices will go back to pre-covid in any event.

popsgarland

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 24, 2011
    DFW area
    When I bought my truck, new in 2013. I sat alone in the salesman cubby hole of an office
    for almost 15 minuets while he and others were shooting the breeze pretending to discuss
    my offer for the truck. Starting out he was reneging on the price we had agreed on. I told
    him and showed him the price we had agreed on and he said he would talk to the manager
    and try to get him to agree to it. After about 15 minuets, I grabbed another salesman
    and told him to tell my salesman I wanted the keys to my trade in truck and that i was
    tired of their bull shit and was leaving and going to another dealership. My salesman came
    back and wanted to discuss the price again. I told him no, that either sale me the truck
    at what we agreed on and wasn't going to spend all day with him and got up to leave.
    That got his attention and did the paper work for my new truck. I was at the dealership
    a total of 2 hours instead of all day.

Havok1

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2021
    US
    Your original statement was that, “I don’t think most people want to order a vehicle directly from the manufacture”

I am suggesting folks will certainly buy if the price is much cheaper. If it is not cheaper, they will move on to other buying criteria, such as who has the specific model they want in stock for quickest delivery.

If buying a car was as easy as buying from Amazon, most would do it.

Imagine if I could go to Chevrolet website, select Corvette, option it out - Z06, Red, etc, it then shows price and delivery date and offers “buy now”. Yeah that is exactly what I want. You can do it for other products (and Teslas), we need to be able to do it for other cars too.
    The fact that pretty much everyone test drives vehicles suggests that people don’t really want to just order it and have it shipped to their house. Have you ever driven a Tesla before? Imagine having to buy, and take delivery of it before realizing how weird it is compared to a normal vehicle, or the shitty build quality.

i know the people who work at dealerships are often a pain in the ass, but I do think if they were done away with they would eventually make a comeback due to people not liking how things are without them.

What happens when people realize that many of the functions that are currently handled by the dealerships still have to be done, and that still costs money? The only thing that changes is that you don’t know what you’re buying until after you get it.

striker55

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2021
    Katy
    I bought a used car from Carvana about 6 years ago. Super smooth transaction, loan approval was almost instant. Great experience. It wasn't a Corvette. I got to drive it a week to see if I liked it. If I didn't like I could return it. In fact the day after I picked it up at the machine we had an ice storm, didn't go anywhere with it for 3 days. After the week you take it in for inspection and start the paperwork for the registration, after taking it in for the inspection he brought it back out. Said I didn't put enough miles on it, take it home for another week. I kept it.

Havok1

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2021
    US
    Yep. If a credit card application can be approved or denied instantly - financing a car wouldn't be much harder. There is no good, justifiable reason for the hours-long process to buying a car. Last damn car purchase we made still took us six hours at the damn dealership start to finish because the sales manager and finance manager had paperwork. We were stuck there, because they'd already processed our trade in, so that wasn't ours anymore. We were the last ones out of the damn dealership that night.

You can buy a used car online real easy these days - places like Carvana, CarMax, eBay motors, etc have made that easy. No reason the new-car purchase can't be made as smoothly. It might take you a little bit of time to input your numbers into their credit app, but the decision could be made instantly, or you have your options put up. Shit, people get mortgages for homes online with a ten or fifteen minute process.

Car buying sucks.

Then show up with your financing already taken care of. Car max is also a dealership, just for used cars, and you may want to do some research into carvana if you think they are a good example. Mortgages are much more of a pain than auto loans.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    The fact that pretty much everyone test drives vehicles suggests that people don’t really want to just order it and have it shipped to their house. Have you ever driven a Tesla before? Imagine having to buy, and take delivery of it before realizing how weird it is compared to a normal vehicle, or the shitty build quality.

i know the people who work at dealerships are often a pain in the ass, but I do think if they were done away with they would eventually make a comeback due to people not liking how things are without them.

What happens when people realize that many of the functions that are currently handled by the dealerships still have to be done, and that still costs money? The only thing that changes is that you don’t know what you’re buying until after you get it.

I go to the auto show to see vehicles and compare and decide from there. Have not done a test drive this century.

Tesla has shown folks are willing to buy without a dealer.

Sasquatch

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    Then show up with your financing already taken care of. Car max is also a dealership, just for used cars, and you may want to do some research into carvana if you think they are a good example. Mortgages are much more of a pain than auto loans.

The financing was the easy part. It was a bunch of other bullshit that kept us there. We decided to go with the dealer financing vs our credit union, because they got us a better rate than my own credit union offered at the time.

Havok1

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2021
    US
    I go to the auto show to see vehicles and compare and decide from there. Have not done a test drive this century.

Tesla has shown folks are willing to buy without a dealer.
    Do the auto shows you go to bring out every trim model or just the fanciest ones like what I’ve been to?

Tesla ranked 13th in automobile sales last year. Over 40% of their sales have been in a single state that has made it unaffordable to not have solar and an EV, and Tesla has been the only major player in the EV world until Brandon started forcing it on the other manufacturers. Outside of California, their sales are quite low. Probably not the best example to show what people want.

Top Bottom