Guns International

The ammo shortage...Is it getting better?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • subseashooter

Use Your Imagination.....
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 7, 2013
    Here and There
    Yeah, I saw 3 deals on slickguns.com in yesterday/today in the 'sane' range. I'm rather excited to see it all coming back.....hopefully in a few months there will be an oversupply and ammo will be on SALE again!! :-)
    Texas SOT

Wabbit69

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Austin
    I signed up for a two day pistol course for this coming August. What really hurt was the fact that I was either going to have to order on-line, or spend Sat & Sun mornings in line at oh-dark-thirty in front of Academy ten times for enough ammo (500 rounds minimum). Cheapest 180 Gr FMJ in .40 I could find was just over $0.60/round. I spent more on the ammo than I did on the training course. What really hurts is the memory of being able to get the 250 round box of Rem UMC at Wally World or Academy for about $75 last year.

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    If you'd been buying a 525 box every time you walked into Wally World for the last 10 years and had about 15K rounds set back on January 3, 2013, you'd have a use for it!! :rolleyes:

I have a boatload of it, just don't use it. But I guess what your saying is that most people didn't stock up and that is why we are still seeing such a frenzy for it.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    I signed up for a two day pistol course for this coming August. What really hurt was the fact that I was either going to have to order on-line, or spend Sat & Sun mornings in line at oh-dark-thirty in front of Academy ten times for enough ammo (500 rounds minimum). Cheapest 180 Gr FMJ in .40 I could find was just over $0.60/round. I spent more on the ammo than I did on the training course. What really hurts is the memory of being able to get the 250 round box of Rem UMC at Wally World or Academy for about $75 last year.

I just found some cheap 40 at Walmart the other day. I was staking the place out either.

subseashooter

Use Your Imagination.....
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 7, 2013
    Here and There
    I have a boatload of it, just don't use it. But I guess what your saying is that most people didn't stock up and that is why we are still seeing such a frenzy for it.

Exactly. I opened a drawer the other day and found a stash that I'd forgotten about, LMFAO!! Kinda made my day to finde 3K .22LR!!

CZ guy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Left of Galveston Bay
    Is it that there are that many "22 only" shooters out there, or is it people are just shooting their 22 instead of anything else?

Anytime a niece/nephew/friend wants to go shooting, I grab the .22 pistols. They are a whole lot cheaper to shoot, it doesn't scare the newbies with a loud report and recoil, and you don't have to worry about collecting the brass!

I never pass up the chance to grab a box of .22s except at the gouger's price. I guess we'll never again see the brick of .22 for $8 like K-Mart used to have.........

cuate

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Comanche Co., Texas
    I can't imaging hoarding .22lr ammo. Larger calibers are understandable due to the tremendous distrust of firearms owners by certain people in the Government and distrust of government in it's ordering tons of ammo. military rifles and armored vehicles, training certain young civilians is a combat type training. Sort of setting up FEMA and other Govt. Agencies like a standing Army which is in violation to the Constitution. So American firearms owners are very antsy these days and bought and stored their own ammo, just in case. But .22 ammo ? Not exactly suitable to repel an invasion ! But hopefully Peace and Harmony shall prevail, election processes bring back the Nation to rightful normalcy. I have quit plinking my .22 ammo and saving it for snakes and varmints if need be. I try to keep enough larger calibers for hunting and etc. Not a lot though.

RACER X

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2013
    Richmond/Houston
    Just picked up 3x 350 rds of blazer brass at gander mountain in sugar land for $120/ea

Loads of independence 223

Some 556

They've raised their limit to 10 boxes

sent from my cell phone, far far away

ShootingTheBull

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2013
    Haven't seen anything in my local Wal-Mart other than 270 and 12-gauge for the last couple of months. Today they actually had a few boxes of 40 and 45 ACP. Even a box of 25 ACP. Of course, no 380, no 9mm, but -- for this Wal-Mart to have ANYthing at 5:30 p.m. is pretty surprising, so yes, that should indicate that things are indeed getting a tad better.

CZ guy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Left of Galveston Bay
    I can't imaging hoarding .22lr ammo. Not exactly suitable to repel an invasion ! I have quit plinking my .22 ammo and saving it for snakes and varmints if need be.

I have it from a reliable source that a .22 is sufficient to take a zombie out....IF you hit it squarely in the forehead. :rolleyes: I am prepared to eliminate twenty to twenty-five thousand of them.

Also.......who knows when a renegade band of squirrels will attack? Be prepared.

rushthezeppelin

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Cedar Park
    I can't imaging hoarding .22lr ammo. Larger calibers are understandable due to the tremendous distrust of firearms owners by certain people in the Government and distrust of government in it's ordering tons of ammo. military rifles and armored vehicles, training certain young civilians is a combat type training. Sort of setting up FEMA and other Govt. Agencies like a standing Army which is in violation to the Constitution. So American firearms owners are very antsy these days and bought and stored their own ammo, just in case. But .22 ammo ? Not exactly suitable to repel an invasion ! But hopefully Peace and Harmony shall prevail, election processes bring back the Nation to rightful normalcy. I have quit plinking my .22 ammo and saving it for snakes and varmints if need be. I try to keep enough larger calibers for hunting and etc. Not a lot though.

You still have to feed yourself in WROL, small game is usually plentiful even in some cities. A 22 can be made very light and of course the rounds are really light.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

mosin

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    Laredo
    For the first time in many moons I got a flyer from CTD advertising ammo and they are taking advantage of the crunch, lake city ss109 $359.79 for 300 rds.
    Cci blazer 22lr minimag hp 36 grain 100 rds $59.59

You can file that right next to their $100 Pmags and $2400 basic ARs. Anyone supporting them is a fool.

Heinz Bar

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Spring Branch
    There was tons of ammo available this weekend at the Saxet Gun Show in San Antonio. Prices were still a bit on the high side but not redonkulous like they were a few months ago.

bowserb

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2011
    Houston, TX USA
    I'll be surprised if ammo prices ever return to what they were a year ago. There are millions more gun owners now, and ammo manufacturers have not gone crazy expanding their factories...at least not those who understand business. You don't build a new plant for a temporary surge. You put on another shift. As to .22LR, I think 50% higher prices than last year may be as cheap as it gets. That has always been a kind of "loss leader" for the manufacturers, and now that they can make so much more profit from 9mm, that's what they're making.

Also, keep an eye on Obama. Even though the Senate has not approved the UN Arms Trade Treaty, I won't be surprised to see him by exec order, block import of ammunition.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I see 9mm at Walmart for $12/box. Pretty much what it was before things went crazy.

bowserb

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2011
    Houston, TX USA
    I see 9mm at Walmart for $12/box. Pretty much what it was before things went crazy.
    Without a location, brand/type and quantity, it's hard to reach any conclusion about that. For example, a box of 20 Tula FMJ is no bargain at $12. Houston: 18 months ago, WWB 100 round Value Pack in .45ACP FMJ was $31.95 at Walmart. Last August it went to $36.95, then 39.95 and out of stock. If it went back to $31.95 I would be quite happy, but I don't expect I'll ever see that.

Top Bottom