• ...and so much more!
  • leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    <>

As. 50+ year lightplane pilot, Texas-based about 2/3 of that time, I have long recognized two easily identifiable from above “lines” dividing the State into zones detetrmined by average rainfalls.

One line runs obliquely from Port O’Connor, Victoria, New Braunfels, Fort Worth, then New Boston & Texarkana; to the East & South of this line, virtually all rainfall origiates in our Gulf and the terrain is lush & green most years. Trees are large & green.

A second line runs up Brazos Santiago to around Mission, then up through the Chaparral to Rocksprings, Ozona, just West of San Angelo & Abilene, East of Witchita Falls. Between those lines, Texas is brownish or lighter green depending on season and rainfall. Trees b/t those lines are smaller & less green,

West of the second line, trees are rare, the terrain is brown or tan from the air most of the year. The sparse rainfalls there are composed of more Pacific moisture, which has had to cross several Mexican mountain ranges to get there.

Of course, the climate dictates the distribution of game animals and types of hunting more common.

During my decades above Texas, these lines have shown little overall change, but are seasonally affected by variations in rainfall amounts.

Since getting a pacemaker 4 years ago, I’m no longer allowed to drive airplanes. Those lines & zones are not easily identifiable from a pickup truck.

leVieux
    Target Sports

MountainGirl

Happy to be here!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Ten Oaks
    Your level of anger is a mystery...?
    Level of anger? Wut?

Those 3 'zones' carry up all the way through the US and into Canada as well. I have a couple hundred hours in a 140 Cherokee over (mostly flat) Nebraska - I recall the first time I flew over Scottsdale and saw Camelback. LOL almost a 3D shocker!

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 8, 2020
    North of Dallas
    Google Earth
    Screen Shot 2023-02-28 at 10.52.37 AM.png

You can also view a time-lapse from 1985 to 2020 but it mostly looks the same to me:
    Screen Shot 2023-02-28 at 10.56.39 AM.png

bbbass

Looking Up!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2020
    NE Orygun
    Level of anger? Wut?

Those 3 'zones' carry up all the way through the US and into Canada as well. I have a couple hundred hours in a 140 Cherokee over (mostly flat) Nebraska - I recall the first time I flew over Scottsdale and saw Camelback. LOL almost a 3D shocker!

Love the Cherokee line of aircraft!

One of my former bozzes owned one (a four seater) in Brookings on the coast of OR. He used to take me up quite often. Even got a tiny bit of straight flight stick time. lol

He eventually traded it for a Cherokee 6 as his family got bigger.

MountainGirl

Happy to be here!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Ten Oaks
    Love the Cherokee line of aircraft!

One of my former bozzes owned one (a four seater) in Brookings on the coast of OR. He used to take me up quite often. Even got a tiny bit of straight flight stick time. lol

He eventually traded it for a Cherokee 6 as his family got bigger.
    Nice you got to 'try it out'
    I always thought the 6s were a little doggy...but they got the job done.

Top Bottom