• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TundraWookiee

Scruffy Nerf Herder
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Cedar Park
    I've been kinda interested in picking up either an iPad or one of the various Android based tablets. My main uses would be surfing the forum and web browsing, watching movies on trips, and hopefully uploading pictures from my camera or GoPro while away from home if it is capable of that.

I already have an Ice Cream Sandwich based Android phone and prefer the OS slightly over iOS. I've primarily looked at the new iPad and the Asus tablets. Thoughts?

Brought to you courtesy of Tapatalk
    Texas SOT

scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    If it's in your budget, the Mac Book Air is awesome. I much prefer a full OS to a scaled down version, and having a real keyboard is a plus.

TundraWookiee

Scruffy Nerf Herder
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Cedar Park
    I have 2 laptops, but can't really stand a small screen or keyboard on a laptop like I can a tablet for some reason so both are 16-18" screens and full gaming rigs. This makes them a little bulky to lug around for light browsing or battery draining things like watching a couple movies on a plane which is why I was leaning toward a tablet.

Brought to you courtesy of Tapatalk

dfincctx

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 23, 2012
    FORT WORTH
    If you're already driving an Android phone, I'd stick with the Android based tablets and not mix therm up. You'll still be able to sync your apps between your tablet and phone.

winchster

Right Wing Extremist
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Justin, TX
    I've got an iPad and I really like it. However, I also use an iPhone. The main reason I use iOS is for the "standard". Since android is "open source", there can be no "standard" by definition. Therefore, you are purely at the mercy of the manufacturer to stay in business, keep producing the tablet, and not change the game. I know the naysayers will say apple does exactly this, but apple can't blow up the iOS or they'd face a mutiny. Having said that, I'm NOT an apple fan outside the iOS.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    I had a windows tablet PC with windows 7. Terrible. I am going to try 8 on it this weekend.

Right now I am on a Samsung Galaxy 7 inch tablet. I really like it. When I can upgrade, I'll probably get a 10.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    I'm not much on tablets, but the girlfriend is heavy into the latest electronic gadgets.

She's the type that reads every review she can find before she buys anything.

She chose the Asus over the Ipad. She said that it was one of the first tablets on the market, at the time, to have dual processors.

TXARGUY

Famous Among Dozens
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 31, 2012
    Wildcat Thicket, Texas
    I use Asus for laptops and a Toshiba Thrive for my tablet. My daughter uses an Asus Transformer tablet. Her Asus updates faster than my Toshiba but my battery lasts longer and is user replacable. My rear camera is much better than hers which is what sold me on the Toshiba. I use it to photograph public records at the courthouse directly into .pdf format and save them directly to dropbox. My Toshiba works flawlessly for my purpose and didn't cost anywhere near what an iPad would have.

zembonez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    I won't give Apple a dime of my money. Their history of proprietary garbage and held for ransom updates means I'll never be converted. Android all the way for me, but I prefer a standard windows laptop with a full keyboard over a tablet if I'm going to be on it much.

TXARGUY

Famous Among Dozens
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 31, 2012
    Wildcat Thicket, Texas
    Rooted nook with ics. 60 bucks on Craigslist and 30 minutes to root and install os.

Sent from my fingers, to your face.

This is not a bad idea. I have one that I use for reading at night. The sensor array on the screen makes input kind of a pain and gaming downright tough but it's great for reading and general web browsing. Rooting is a must though.

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    I am viewing this on my ASUS TF700T, which is a tablet. I have the optional keyboard dock, which adds ports and additional battery life. This thing is fricking awesome. It is like the new iPad because it has 1920x1200 resolution in a 10.1 screen. It is my first Android device, and I own 4 generations of iPhones, so it was a hard decision not to go with an iPad. I like that I can copy files on and off it using a memory stick or micro SD card. I hate having to depend on iTunes for everything.
    Cheaper and much better than the current iPad in my opinion.
    It has an 8 megapixel camera and records 1080p video. You can also take a panorama picture by scanning the horizon with it. It has a GPS, gyroscope, compass, and is the fastest computer of it's type I have used.
    truly 5 out of 5 stars.
    With the keyboard attached it folds like a clamshell netbook, protecting the screen. No extra junk software came loaded, and I was able to get it fully configured never having to look at any documentation.

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    I don't get the hate for Apple, but everyone is of course initiated.

Both my wife and I have IPADs, and we love them. Rock solid with WiFi connections, even when my dedicated high-end Dell Work station has issues. Tons of apps and just plain easy to use. BTW, my Apple stock is doing quite well thank your very much

1rightguy

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    I don't get the hate for Apple, but everyone is of course initiated.

Both my wife and I have IPADs, and we love them. Rock solid with WiFi connections, even when my dedicated high-end Dell Work station has issues. Tons of apps and just plain easy to use. BTW, my Apple stock is doing quite well thank your very much

#1 for the iPad & Apple stock. I was very near unloading what I had when Jobs passed but I did not...................

thack1963

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2012
    Copperas Cove
    I used to work midnight shift with another SFC, he had a Toshiba tablet I had my IPad. Midnights pretty slow for sure, so we compared them. He sold his Toshiba and bought an IPad. I love mine. The Apps are great, Evernote makes up for my brain farts and Notesplus is a handwriting app that is fantastic. I used it during my CHL class because it allowed me to highlight and to write notes on the PDF file I downloaded from the state website. Also, when the instructor got ahead of me taking notes, I hit the record button and the mic picked him up clear as day.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    IPad would be my choice. My kids have different stuff, and I have used several. but the IPad has great free apps, great pay apps, easy connectivity, good size. I want the 32 gig wireless version. I would not buy the 4g model, as you have to have a data plan. But the wireless will allow you to connect wherever you have wireless access.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Hrrquest1000
    Top Bottom