Venture Surplus ad

T-Mobile: any horror stories? Pretty bad stories?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    That's gone away and we get get pretty much unlimited everything for $60 for both phones with no contract. (plus the PITA add on charges)

Maybe there are better deals out there, but I'm completely happy with the service.
    How are you getting such a great rate/plan?

Do y'all travel much? If so, you still get good voice & data coverage?
    DK Firearms

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Verizon is nice but spendy. I would not hesitate to switch to t-mobile. Austin area reference only.
    Verizon told me to shove it when I asked but T-Mobile has a loaner phone (at least the Huntsville store does) and they allow 10 days usage. It's checked out right now but if I get it, I will try to schedule some travel.

NavyVet1959

Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2014
    Texas, ya'll
    With the cell phones that use a SIM card, you can buy the cheap phones from China and use them instead of having to pay the inflated prices for what might be the same phone rebadged to sell by one of the name brand companies. But, if you would rather pay $300-500 for a phone instead of $100, go ahead.

Anger

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 7, 2010
    Washington MI (glorious in summer)
    Verizon told me to shove it when I asked but T-Mobile has a loaner phone (at least the Huntsville store does) and they allow 10 days usage. It's checked out right now but if I get it, I will try to schedule some travel.

interesting, a trial phone without a contract ?

To answer your question about the made in china phone, I've seen those websites before and used them, for other sporting goods (bicycle LED lights). If I find one today when it gets slow, I'll update this post. They're basically samsung (ad any other brand) knockoffs. I wouldn't assume the quality is there, but if you're looking for something cheap, go for it. The trick is picking the right specs because of the large variety in carrier standards. Personally, I'd get the real deal unless it was a backup. I've bought things for 1/3 price before that don't work as I expected. It's a gamble. Sometimes you win, sometimes you loose.

Last edited:

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    How are you getting such a great rate/plan?

Do y'all travel much? If so, you still get good voice & data coverage?

The plan I have is the Select Choice Family Unl TT&D. It of course is for "On Network" traffic. I've travel a bit and not had any connection issues. DFW to Austin, San Antonio, Houston, New Orleans and KC MO, going through Oklahoma, Kansas, and Missouri. The further you get from a major metro area, the weaker the signal, but I can't remember having less than two bars. Data does slow after you go over the limit, but we don't use much data and rarely go over. If you need extra HS data it can be added for $10/month per line or you can move up to the $80 or $100 month/two line plans. No contract, but you have to buy your phone which T Mobile will fiance at zero interest.

NavyVet1959

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2014
    Texas, ya'll
    Interesting, have you done that with success? Care to say where you bought the phone?

I've bought from dx.com and dealsmachine.com.

http://www.dealsmachine.com/android..._size=48&freeship=f&sortby=lowprice&newpage=1

Just go through them and find the specs you need for a price that you find acceptable. The first phone I bought was a 7" one 2 years ago. None of the phones in the US were 7" at that time. It was nice to have the screen resolution and size to make web pages easier to read for my old eyes, but the only way to carry it was in my vest pocket and even that was a tight fit. About a year ago, I bought the following 5" phone just so that it could fit in my pocket easier. It currently $75.

http://www.dealsmachine.com/best_194486.html

For my use, they're as good as the Samsung or other brands. But then agin, I'm not one of those people who consider a phone a status symbol.

Anger

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 7, 2010

That's the website I was trying to find this morning. I've purchased LED bicycle lights off that website with great success, much cheaper than the branded equals. All that bicycle light stuff is made in china anyways, regardless of price or name. The reviews on that website seem to be legit. I bought 2 or 3 types of lights based on the specs and reviews and was satisfied 100% with my purchase and the price.

NavyVet1959

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2014
    Texas, ya'll
    That's the website I was trying to find this morning. I've purchased LED bicycle lights off that website with great success, much cheaper than the branded equals. All that bicycle light stuff is made in china anyways, regardless of price or name. The reviews on that website seem to be legit. I bought 2 or 3 types of lights based on the specs and reviews and was satisfied 100% with my purchase and the price.

I've bought quite a few things over the years from DealExtreme (dx.com). It takes awhile for some of the items to arrive. I guess they are shipped literally by "slow boat from China". :) Browsing through their site, you'll find some things that are a bit strange though.

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    I've bought from dx.com and dealsmachine.com.

http://www.dealsmachine.com/android..._size=48&freeship=f&sortby=lowprice&newpage=1

Just go through them and find the specs you need for a price that you find acceptable. The first phone I bought was a 7" one 2 years ago. None of the phones in the US were 7" at that time. It was nice to have the screen resolution and size to make web pages easier to read for my old eyes, but the only way to carry it was in my vest pocket and even that was a tight fit. About a year ago, I bought the following 5" phone just so that it could fit in my pocket easier. It currently $75.

http://www.dealsmachine.com/best_194486.html

For my use, they're as good as the Samsung or other brands. But then agin, I'm not one of those people who consider a phone a status symbol.

Holy shit Navyvet!! Thank you for posting this since one of these phone is a great knockoff of the phone I have and 2.5 times LESS in cost. WOW! I am definitely looking into this dealmachine deal. http://www.dealsmachine.com/best_241899.html

Thank you!

Any other info you can give us about these phones and your experieince?

NavyVet1959

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2014
    Texas, ya'll
    Holy shit Navyvet!! Thank you for posting this since one of these phone is a great knockoff of the phone I have and 2.5 times LESS in cost. WOW! I am definitely looking into this dealmachine deal. http://www.dealsmachine.com/best_241899.html

Thank you!

Any other info you can give us about these phones and your experieince?

I've been satisfied with them and if I needed another one, I would buy from them again. I have a few different phones and swap them out depending upon what I'm going to be doing (or wearing) that day. For example, if I'm going fishing or out in my boat, I don't carry a smartphone, I carry an older more basic phone (e.g. "flip phone") that can be shoved in the front pocket of my jeans and I won't have to be concerned with breaking it.

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    I've been satisfied with them and if I needed another one, I would buy from them again. I have a few different phones and swap them out depending upon what I'm going to be doing (or wearing) that day. For example, if I'm going fishing or out in my boat, I don't carry a smartphone, I carry an older more basic phone (e.g. "flip phone") that can be shoved in the front pocket of my jeans and I won't have to be concerned with breaking it.

How long have you had the phones and have they held up? I have a Samsung S5 that has been in the shop twice and its only 7 months old.

NavyVet1959

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2014
    Texas, ya'll
    How long have you had the phones and have they held up? I have a Samsung S5 that has been in the shop twice and its only 7 months old.

The 7" phone is 2 years old and the 5" phone is 1 year old. But I also have an HTC Google G2 phone that is probably 5 years old and still working as good as new. But then again, I never put one of these glass type phones in my back pocket and sit on them either. Not doing that probably increases their life expectancy a bit. :)

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    I got the T-mobile loaner phone yesterday and watched the bar status on the way home, the fluctuations were similar to my current ATT one. The loaner is also working just as good for my hot spot connection. I haven't made any calls with it but it's an LG and I will get one of the Samsung models.

Anger

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 7, 2010
    I got the T-mobile loaner phone yesterday and watched the bar status on the way home, the fluctuations were similar to my current ATT one. The loaner is also working just as good for my hot spot connection. I haven't made any calls with it but it's an LG and I will get one of the Samsung models.

one thing i've noticed about both my wife's S5 and my S5 (both VZW) is that it drops bluetooth to headphones regularly. The headphones don't drop on any other bluetooth device, including 2 laptops and on the T-Mobile S4. I love the larger size of the S5, but in hindsight, it's a bit of a dog compared to the S4. You're prolly looking at a newer phone than S5.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    I have an S3 and I'm comfortable with the size and the performance is all I need. The S5 & S6 are too large but the Grand Prime (or something like that) has the same size screen as the S3 and will still be a jump in technology. That's where I'm leaning.

Top Bottom