• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KAK

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Waco
    I have an A2 AR and I would like a A4 upper. I would like to know which tools I will need to do this. The upper will be a RRA assembly. So I think all I will have to mess with is the barrel and gas system.

Thanks guys.
    DK Firearms

KAK

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Waco
    No tools needed. Pop the pins, swap uppers, start shooting.

Sorry man, I wasnt clear. I will not be buying a complete upper half, I will be simply buying an upper reciever. I will need to install the barrel and gas system.

I am thinking about it now, maybe I can buy a complete A4 upper half and sell the A2. But I still think the simple upper is a cheaper choice.

Im getting the top right.
    rcvrsup10.gif

The_Hunter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Now Dallas
    I have an A2 AR and I would like a A4 upper. I would like to know which tools I will need to do this. The upper will be a RRA assembly. So I think all I will have to mess with is the barrel and gas system.

Thanks guys.

You need a set of punches, a wee little hammer, a front site block would be nice but not 100% necessary, upper clamp or mount of some sort, bench mounted vice, armor's wrench and torque wrench that will go to 35ftlbs (I think that is right).

Hope that helps. Its fairly easy but you will spend at least 100-150 in tools, it may be worth it to pay someone with the tools to do it.

Hunter

KAK

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Waco
    You need a set of punches, a wee little hammer, a front site block would be nice but not 100% necessary, upper clamp or mount of some sort, bench mounted vice, armor's wrench and torque wrench that will go to 35ftlbs (I think that is right).

Hope that helps. Its fairly easy but you will spend at least 100-150 in tools, it may be worth it to pay someone with the tools to do it.

Hunter

So Ive got a great torque wrench, a punch set can be had at HFT for cheap enough, and an armorers tool would be all I need If I can think of a makeshift receiver clamp.

Anyone know of a cheap and easy option for the clamp? Ratchet strap the shit out of it to a saw horse maybe?

dobarker

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2010
    Sonora

Hunter

Thats right with the torque specs, it's 30 ftlbs at the lightest and not to exceed low 40's for best results.

KAK

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Waco
    Well I have to admit, I NEVER feel bad about buying new tools. One of my favorite things outside of guns.

I am envisioning an A4 AR with a 15 inch free float tube making it a near monolithic upper to almost the end of the barrel, a lo pro gas block inside there, this would make a long MBUS sight radius, on top would go my Trijicon Reflex for social work and a Redfield Revolution 3-9x50 for critters. Both on ARMS quick release mounts that maintain a pretty damn good zero. Lets throw a Timney 3lb in there too.

This is what im working with.
    IMG_0204.gif

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    While torquing the barrel, how do you plan to index the barrel gas port so that the gas tube is in proper alignment with the receiver?

KAK

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Waco
    Um, I will have to find out how they are put together. It wont be hard to find a write up or something online. I plan on buying the right tools for the job... Cause then Ill build another.

Spiff

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Rockwall
    Thats right with the torque specs, it's 30 ftlbs at the lightest and not to exceed low 40's for best results.

Uh...no...it's 30 - 80 ft-lbs, as necessary to line up the next cut in the barrel nut.

While torquing the barrel, how do you plan to index the barrel gas port so that the gas tube is in proper alignment with the receiver?

Welll....there's an index pin in the barrel and a slot in the receiver threads that take care of that.

Top Bottom