Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX
    26754_388949908698_&.jpg
    4lbs 13 & 3/8oz

sharky47

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    Good call on the Ace lightweight stock - like I said, I have two of them and endorse them highly!

I was talking to one of the several FFLs here in town - he was wanting to order one of these lowers for himself just out of curiousity, told him to order two - I'll try one out. If nothing else, I'll use it for my dedicated .22 upper or something.

double_r76

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    Cibolo
    I'm guessing that is a SBR with the 11.5" upper... any issues with engraving the polymer lower? Tips on who/how you did it would be greatly appreciated.

I'm thinking about a SBR S&W M&P 15-22, but they use the polymer receivers as well.

Thanks,
    -Randy

propellerhead

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Lightweight is good. Our IDPA club runs carbine matches once in a while. Where you're running and shooting at targets at 10-50 yards, a light carbine is good. If this carbine is for home defense (under 15 yards), then what you're doing is not just a novelty. In this case, MOA at 200 yards is nothing more than tacticool talk.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    I didn't think a super lightweight was possible. I like it. Considering I have to shoulder rifles with one arm a lightweight rifle is next to impossible to find!

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I didn't think a super lightweight was possible. I like it. Considering I have to shoulder rifles with one arm a lightweight rifle is next to impossible to find!

If you also use a good, modern, adjustable 2 point sling, it will help significantly with one-handed operation. The two best ones I've found are the Vickers VCAS and Viking Tactics VTAC slings:

Viking Tactics, Inc.

::BLUEFORCEGEAR?::

Once you have one of those adjusted just right, as soon as you raise the rifle into a firing stance, it will have enough tension that you won't have to support the full weight of the gun by hand as much of the mass will be supported by your upper body through the sling instead. With one of those properly setup, it wouldn't be that hard for you to operate even a standard M4 configuration, though the lighter the better of course.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Thanks for the links. I don't have any experience using slings and I have wondered if they would be of assistance. This helps

If you also use a good, modern, adjustable 2 point sling, it will help significantly with one-handed operation. The two best ones I've found are the Vickers VCAS and Viking Tactics VTAC slings:

Viking Tactics, Inc.

::BLUEFORCEGEAR?::

Once you have one of those adjusted just right, as soon as you raise the rifle into a firing stance, it will have enough tension that you won't have to support the full weight of the gun by hand as much of the mass will be supported by your upper body through the sling instead. With one of those properly setup, it wouldn't be that hard for you to operate even a standard M4 configuration, though the lighter the better of course.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Thanks for the links. I don't have any experience using slings and I have wondered if they would be of assistance. This helps

The Magpul Art of the Carbine II video may be of interest to you as it has a lot of info and drills on one-handed manipulation of the carbine. :-)

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio

Might also be worth looking into a bullpup. Using my AUG clone with one hand is really easy thanks to the rearward weight bias. It's a tad heavy at 7lbs and change, but my friend's son can handle it from the shoulder a lot easier than he can any of my friend's ARs.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    I know it is a dirty word, but Kel tec's SU 16c is 4.7 lbs unloaded. (at least according to their website)

SC-Texas

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Mrs_SC-Texas shot her rifle on Saturday. Put 60 rounds through it. Ran fine. One malfunction, a wolf round popped a primer and ripped the rim off the case. It ran perfect for all other rounds shot.

She is happy with it. We will be running it some more in the near future.

gladi8r

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    Troy Tx
    Man that would be nice my rifle at this point is the equivlent of my self, when I was young I was lighter, when my ar was young it was lighter but through time we both keep packing it on and keeping it on there. Nice build SC

htxred

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2008
    inner loop houston
    Reducing the weight to that threshold just makes the gun less controllable. I don't see a significant hindrance to your standard weight M4A3 style gun in portability.

I think it's a novel idea for a bug out gun or camping gun, but beyond that it's kinda pointless.
    my kac sr-15 is barely a bit heavier then this rifle but is still easily controllable. maybe it has something to do with the minimal, if any, felt recoil :)

Top Bottom