Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX
    26754_388374348698_&.jpg
    4lbs 12.5oz

Comments?

Nie gun. I sighted it in and it shoots real nice.
    Lynx Defense

SC-Texas

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX
    1lb 11.25oz PlumCrazy Polymer lower w/ LPK and CAR stock
    1lb 4.25oz CMMG 11.5" barrel
    6.75oz Clark custom Carbon fiber handguard and barrel nut
    1lb 5 5/8oz Upper receiver, charging handle & M16 BCG

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Reducing the weight to that threshold just makes the gun less controllable. I don't see a significant hindrance to your standard weight M4A3 style gun in portability.

I think it's a novel idea for a bug out gun or camping gun, but beyond that it's kinda pointless.

randmplumbingllc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    El Paso
    Not a new idea. The Bushmaster Carbon 15 - AR has been around for years. I have shot thousands of rounds through mine , with no signs of wear or problems.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Reducing the weight to that threshold just makes the gun less controllable. I don't see a significant hindrance to your standard weight M4A3 style gun in portability.

I think it's a novel idea for a bug out gun or camping gun, but beyond that it's kinda pointless.

That it does. For high fire rates and long fire strings, it can cause accuracy and/or reliability issues, too.

Just the same, I'd love one for hiking!

sharky47

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    I'd take one.

Put an ACE ultra-lightweight entry stock on it and you'll be able to cut even more fat. Have a couple of them, one on my AR57 and love it.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I have a Bushmaster CMP AR-15 that has 3 pounds of lead in the handguard and 3 pounds of lead in the buttstock. That rifle shot Master at 200 yards and gave me some of the best scores of my match career. A light rifle is easy to carry but a lot is lost in accuracy. How does it shoot?

Flash

SC-Texas

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Reducing the weight: It definitelty makes the gun more carryable. When I was a kid and had a choice of an CAR-15 with the old pencil barrel, an HK-91, a mini-14 or an M14 (M1A) to carry as I walked my grandfather's farm, I always defaulted to the CAR-15. When I had a choice of carrying my Smith & Wesson model 1000 12ga 3" magnum duck gun or my grandfather's Ithaca featherweight 20ga, I always carried the Ithaca. Just my personal experience when a youngster with a wide range of options to select when he went explorin on teh back acres of the farm.

Remember guys, not everyone can be comfortable humping a M4 or heavier rifle. Some folks have a need for a light duty, light, reliable rifle . . . like women.

Controlability: Being used to running the AR/M-16 in full auto mode I will say this - A sub 5lb AR's controlability doesn't make much difference unless I have dropped a post 86 RDIAS in it. Which I might do before too long. On semi auto fire, at house ranges, it will be controllable enough for Mrs_SC-Texas to put 5-10 rounds into the chest of anyone unfortunate enough to impose themselves on her. On another note, making the gun this light also allows Mrs_SC-Texas to put a 10.7oz GemTech Trek Ti suppressor on the muzzle to control noise and muzzle rise without making the gun 7lbs. Waiting on one that has been ordered for a customer to check its performance out.

I will be keeping my Suppressed SBR with the heavy barrel surefire light and the beta-mag for serious social enounters . . . .

This gun is built for Mrs_SC-Texas who wants a light weight AR to keep next to the bed. As long as it survives the test firing, It will be perfect for that purpose.

I have swapped out the collapsible stock for an ACE light stock:

26754_388557763698_&.jpg

SC-Texas

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Added both photos side by side for reference.

It will be interesting to see if we can make a light rifle that is reliable and controllable on the AR-15 platform.

Attachments

• 26754_388568603698_&.jpg
      26754_388568603698_&.jpg
      34.4 KB · Views: 172

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I think with a brake or can the gun will be significantly more functional. The can might make the gun feel unbalanced though, but beats getting your ears blown out by a muzzle brake should you have to use it.

All in all it's a cool build, something that's actually a new direction rather than parts A, B, and C in a different order.

I still maintain it'll be an awesome camping gun.

Top Bottom