• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • streakpi

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    Fort Bragg, NC
    I am thinking of starting a new hobby...stippling backstraps. Does anyone have AAR (after action review) comments on stippling these things?

I'm not the most mechanically inclined...and don't want to spend hours doing one back strap. Thought I could make an initial investment on the equipment, some back straps, and get to work in my garage.

Have any of you tried this yourselves? IM me with specifics if you want...I'm pretty excited...but that excitement can turn into frustration if I find out that this isn't a fun process :)
    Capitol Armory ad

Mic

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Austin
    My buddy did his G22 with a soldering iron. Don't think it took long. Turned out pretty darn good. I was holding it in my hand looking at it, wondering what the hell kind of grip he had. He tells me he did it. After this, I look closely and you can see there are minor deviations here and there. But his is a shooting gun, not a show gun, so it looked plenty fine for that.

Mic

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Austin
    Also, I'm assuming the backstraps aren't too expensive. Wait... If you use the smallest backstrap and are plenty sure you'll never need the larger one, practice on that one. Then you can decide if you want to work on the one you'll use.

streakpi

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    Fort Bragg, NC
    Also, I'm assuming the backstraps aren't too expensive. Wait... If you use the smallest backstrap and are plenty sure you'll never need the larger one, practice on that one. Then you can decide if you want to work on the one you'll use.

Great idea...but I bought it used with only one strap. Gonna buy 3-5 different ones/sizes an start playing around once I figure out equipment needed.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    I'd say the first thing you'd want is an ability to deliver consistency in your finished product, in terms of depth, density, etc. You just stick a piece of plastic a buncha times with a soldering iron....a kid can do that. Figure out a way to present a product that looks the same every time, THEN you're talking!

streakpi

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    Fort Bragg, NC
    A kid "can" do it...but most kids "won't" do it - hence why Jiffy Lube can charge $50 for an oil change. Most people "can" change their oil in under 30 minutes for $15...but "won't" do it out of pure lack of trying :)

Hence why America is the land of dreams.

Anywho- I am excited about learning...just gotta find someone out there doing this already so I can gleam some ideas/AAR comments.

streakpi

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    Fort Bragg, NC
    Yep, looked at YouTube last night for an hour or so. Got some good advice. Looking to find source of tips for the wood burner.

I think one of the main issues is getting comfy with the burner applicator and practicing a steady hand. Unfortunately/fortunately, I am looking only to do these M&P back straps...don't want to mess up one of my few guns - ain't there yet!!!

pvtsnowball82

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Outside San Antonio
    I stippled the entire right side of the frame and backstrap of my M&P compact. I also did the extended floorplates on the mags. I didn't do the left side because it will sometimes sit against my skin while carrying concealed, and that would be rough. Stippling one side provides plenty of grippy surface for my weapon hand. I used a cheap soldering iron with the basic pointed tip. I found it to be incredibly simple and surprisingly fast. Once I worked out the best angle and pressure, it went very quickly. Check out a company called ATEi to see some really professional looking stippling work. Personally, I think this is a very simple, very effective mod for any plastic gun.

Of course, my shooting buddy doesn't agree. He has taken to calling me "Voider of M&P warranties."

streakpi

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    Fort Bragg, NC
    Well I called S&W tonight to ask if they sell the backstraps (can't find them on their site). Told the guy I bought my gun used and did not have small or large...he is sending them for FREE! Will use these as my initial guinea pigs.

Also found CHEAP back straps on Speed Shooter Specialties and bought a tan small and large and a compact small. This way I can experiment with different sizes and colors. These - like most other sites - were the only ones in stock! Hell, each of these straps cost HALF of what Midway and Browning are selling them for.

Heading out to shop for an inexpensive wood burner tonight...by next weekend I should be up and running.

Mic

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Austin
    Cool. Good luck. Make sure to show us how they come out. Even the first one, so we can get a laugh with ya.

streakpi

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    Fort Bragg, NC
    DSC04082.jpg Ok, just spent an hour learning how to stipple. I have 8 tips for my wood burning tool so I am taking turns on each tip to get the feel of them (hence why there may be 3-4 designs on each back strap).

Man, I melted me a couple grips! I have no shame in my beginning talents...here is my first backstrap for an M&P fullsize.

streakpi

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    Fort Bragg, NC
    Here is the 3rd one stippled. It is a small compact back strap in black. I used the round tip around the whole grip, then went back with a smaller tip and made a indentation inside the larger holes. Burned through once...learned that there are places in the plastic which are thinner than the rest of the grip. It started raining on me as I was finishing up...got a bit sloppy. Still figuring this heat/time ratio thing.

DSC04105.jpg

streakpi

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    Fort Bragg, NC
    I've stippled more grips. They are located in the linked Photo Bucket album - I will keep adding these as I make them!

Would love to give a couple of the compact back straps away - need some gun models. Won't own a M&Pc for another month.

Here is the deal - let me know which variety and what size/caliber of compact grip - I will send you one for free. Take a couple pics with it on your gun, post back with comments (good or bad) and keep the grip. IM me for me info...thanks for the help!!!

http://s95.photobucket.com/albums/l140/streakpi/Stippling/M-P Stippling/

Top Bottom