• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    It's not a fad. It's an old and cherished way to cook every molecule of any food to a perfectly precise temperature.

I've never committed to it because I love my steaks grilled or pan fried. For folks who have never gotten the hang of cooking a steak to the right level of doneness, though, sous vide is a foolproof way to cook a steak perfectly. I can certainly understand why some cooks use the method so extensively.

And, yeah, I heard that whoosh going over my head, too. :)
    How far in time does it go back? How did they do it before plastic bags ?

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    How far in time does it go back? How did they do it before plastic bags ?
    While the technique of using a water bath to keep a material at specific temp is older, as a cooking method sous vide has only been around since the 1960s, enabled by the availability of food-grade plastics.

So it's about as old as me and in my book that makes it old.

Remember Boil-N-Bag frozen foods? I think they still exist but I'm not sure under what brand names. That was sous vide, more or less, and it was ubiquitous by the 1960s.

Geezer

Mostly Peaceful
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 23, 2019
    Silsbee, Texas
    No water or plastic bags anywhere in sight.

ribs.jpg

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Sous vide, like any other tool, great at some things, but not the best for everything.

While I don't use it as much lately, before dietary changes a few years back, if I had to use sous vide for only two things - one would be cooking the dog's beef; and above all, the following:

Sous Vide Mashed Potatoes

3 Peeled russet potatoes, sliced
    1/2 stick of butter
    1/2 Philadelphia cream cheese bar
    2 tsp salt & 2 tsp garlic powder
    1/2 cup whole milk

Add all ingredients into vacumn bag (no need to mix the ingredients before cooking)

Sous vide @ 195F for 02:00 hours

Finish: Thoroughly mash/knead, while in bag and with cooking gloves on, or to your favorite desired texture ... IOW, leave lumpy, or smooth.

Serve hot and with your favorite condiments ... guaranteed to please your palate.

ETA: anyone interested in trying sous vide at some point, here are some of my notes on various items and their cooking times and temps, with the results in a PDF. YMMV

Attachments

• Sous-Vide -KarlsNOTES.pdf
      410.5 KB · Views: 57
    Last edited:

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    Ive got a military buddy...pilot type..so he is a little off...lol
    He is always chasing the newest way to grill/cook
    He was the 1st of my circle to get a Big Green Egg years ago and is always buying the latest and greatest

Well over dinner the other night he started talking about this new thing where you take your steak and seasonings and vacuum seal it up and apparently place it in temp controlled water where it brings the meat up to 350F and then...you take it out and still sear it on your grill before eating

They just went on and on about how good it was and I just nodded while deep inside I was dying a little thinking about ruining perfectly good steaks by boiling them..
    Damn..just damn.

Think about the chemicals that can leach from the plastic bag into your steak...
    WTF

ETA I'm sure the science of temp and texture is there but that's only half the reason to enjoy a good medium premium filet. The taste and char from the wood or grill is the rest, as is the smell and enjoyment of cooking it.

Last edited:

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    WTF

ETA I'm sure the science of temp and texture is there but that's only half the reason to enjoy a good medium premium filet. The taste and char from the wood or grill is the rest, as is the smell and enjoyment of cooking it.
    Agree, but some folks will still try to use a screwdriver to drive a nail ...

Sasquatch

30 Super Carry Post Whore 2K Champ
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    If you haven't tried a good sous vide steak - you should. Reverse searing is a requirement - but you will not get a more perfect cook to whatever desired doneness is. You want rare? You'll get rare from crust to crust - without the 1/8th inch thick well done portion if you do it right. If you want medium - you get a perfect medium from crust to crust. If you want well done? Well **** it, just throw it direct on the coals, have a drink, flip it, have another drink, then break out the A1 sauce because that's the only way you're getting any moisture :roflfunny:

Sous Vide is especially good for cooking pork or poultry though - since pork and especially poultry requires more attention to cooking to temp. Dial the water temp needed and let it go.

The other benefit of sous vide - you damn near can NOT overcook your meat with it - unless you go crazy with your reverse sear. The meat doesn't cook beyond the temp of the water, and once it reaches temp, it stays there.

AustinBR

BayouShooter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2017
    Here and there
    Here's an example of a NY Strip that I Sous Vide'd @ 127.5 degrees for about 2.5 hours. To finish I seared it in a 600 degree skillet with some avocado oil. I usually cook ribeyes, so I didn't think to sear the fat cap a little longer.

Sous Videing (is that a word?) allows for you to get almost no gradient between the outside that is seared and the inside that is perfectly medium rare.

1671914092995.png

innominate

Asian Cajun
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Austin
    I'll order sous vide pork chop or steak at a restaurant. It's unlikely they will f-it up. There's a place here that does a sous vide pork chop that is always most and tender. You can practically cut it with a fork. It's almost like slow cooking a brisket. The fats and stuff break down and it all stays in the meat because it is sealed.

AustinBR

BayouShooter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2017
    Here and there
    Looks good but hell with 2 hours. Short time over a grill at 350. Rub and olive oil. I can still hear the moo.
    On the grill, you only have the internal temp in the 120 degree range for a few minutes.

In the sous vide, you're in the 120s for 2+ hours, which allows some of the intermuscular fibers to break down. This yields a much more tender end product.

I still cook steaks over a fire, on a pellet smoker, or just plain old in a really hot cast iron inside, but this way just yields an incredibly perfect and consistently consistent end product.

It's somewhat similar to how you'd reverse sear a tri-tip or a thicker cut of meat on a smoker.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    On the grill, you only have the internal temp in the 120 degree range for a few minutes.

In the sous vide, you're in the 120s for 2+ hours, which allows some of the intermuscular fibers to break down. This yields a much more tender end product.

I still cook steaks over a fire, on a pellet smoker, or just plain old in a really hot cast iron inside, but this way just yields an incredibly perfect and consistently consistent end product.

It's somewhat similar to how you'd reverse sear a tri-tip or a thicker cut of meat on a smoker.
    No sir. I’m hungry. Lol. Sometimes just throw salt and pepper for rub and eat it as soon as it’s cool enough to do so

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    How do restaurants serve steaks using this method if it takes multiple hours to prepare?

I hate to think a microwave is involved.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    setter1
    Top Bottom