• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Here I’ll say it. There’s only one way to cook steak and that’s over open fire. With a delicious hardwood.

If it’s a really thick cut. Reverse sear is the king.
    Those 4 inch Porterhouse I recently cooked were just grilled, I could have done a reverse sear but they turn out fine just flipping them & using a thermometer.

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Here's mine, with a roast in it.

Attachments

• sousvide.jpg
      sousvide.jpg
      158.1 KB · Views: 61

bbbass

Looking Up!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2020
    NE Orygun
    My dad's best friend had one 40+ years ago. Then again this guy was a world traveler & knew about things from his travels.

Well, we only have two stores in my small town that sell BBQ/smoker equip. It's Traeger, Blackstone flatops, and various knockoffs.

bbbass

Looking Up!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2020
    NE Orygun
    Well, we only have two stores in my small town that sell BBQ/smoker equip. It's Traeger, Blackstone flatops, and various knockoffs.

I'll be danged, their website lists Miller Lumber and Ace Hardware as dealers. Not places I think of to shop for such. And never have seen a Big Green Egg our on the floor.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Ive got a military buddy...pilot type..so he is a little off...lol
    He is always chasing the newest way to grill/cook
    He was the 1st of my circle to get a Big Green Egg years ago and is always buying the latest and greatest

Well over dinner the other night he started talking about this new thing where you take your steak and seasonings and vacuum seal it up and apparently place it in temp controlled water where it brings the meat up to 350F and then...you take it out and still sear it on your grill before eating

They just went on and on about how good it was and I just nodded while deep inside I was dying a little thinking about ruining perfectly good steaks by boiling them..
    Damn..just damn.

Think about the chemicals that can leach from the plastic bag into your steak...

As others mentioned sous vide except you don’t cook to 350* internal, so something must have gotten lost in translation.

The technique relies entirely on a constant temp water swirling around a sealed package. Steak rare would call for a water temp of exactly 120*. The meat can never exceed the cooking temp, so the entire steak slowly and evenly cooks to 120* internal.

Then, sear for color and you’re done.

BigRed

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2021
    Midwest
    Sous vide, basically under vacuum in French.

Been around for decades, most big time restaurants use the method before final searing. Until about five years ago it could cost $1k+ to get the equipment, until Anova starting selling them for under $100 +/-

I've had one for a few years, not for everyone, but does have it's uses. don't knock it until you try it ... best mashed potatoes you've ever eaten can be made sous vide, have a recipe if anyone is interested

Freezer bags are less of a problem, Healthwise, but use silicone bags if you're worried about using a plastic bag.

I use mine these days mostly for cooking the dog's meat with no seasoning.
    Yep...even better when quick seared afterwards

FNORD

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    HOUSTON
    Seems to me like he should just throw the damn thing on the grill In the first place. Probably be faster and taste alot better. Boiled meat is just wrong. It’s like choosing a date with a blowup doll when the option was a Dallas cheerleader.

My first, worst, only ex-wife was all proud and shit when I came home one night and she announced she cooked me the filet mignons I bought for myself as she was a veggie.

I walked into the kitchen only to find two grey things in a pot of water.

Phuuuck.

So many signals I was hellbound for property division.

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    My first, worst, only ex-wife was all proud and shit when I came home one night and she announced she cooked me the filet mignons I bought for myself as she was a veggie.

I walked into the kitchen only to find two grey things in a pot of water.

Phuuuck.

So many signals I was hellbound for property division.
    LOL
    Briefly - very briefly - dated a girl who did the same thing.

Brought her over two big T-bones for our supper.

She put the damn things in a skillet full of water. WTF

Decided to stick with Cajun girls from then on out ...

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    She put the damn things in a skillet full of water. WTF
    My mom was a terrible cook but even she could not have conceived such a thing. Reminds me of that allegorical-meaning-packed scene in Apocalypse Now where the soldier who wanted to be a chef talks about the meat being cooked by boiling. If ever there was better foreshadowing for "Things are surely about to go to Hell" in a movie, I've never seen it.

Orbie

Born Texan
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    San Antonio
    Dove hunt 2021 a friend of mine sous vide backstrap steaks and they were delicious. Not my first choice but I can say I’ve tried it and was surprised by how good it was.

Edit for correction. Turkey hunt 2020 when I was furloughed.

Top Bottom