• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sergeant69

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 6, 2016
    san marcos tx
    i started a thread in nov titled NEW TO THIS and learned a lot, then bought a lot. am waiting for the 308 and 45acp cans to come in. a good friends adult son supposedly who is into silencers, has 6 that i know of, told me yesterday that since i bought the screw on type instead of the intregal type (bbl w/silencer inside it) i can expect a "pop" noise everytime i first shoot it, as in a "cold" silencer due to air pressure trying to get out ahead of the round. yes/no/maybe so?
    DK Firearms

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Suppressors for the most part aint nothing like they are portrayed on TV & movies. They can indeed be louder on the first shot. Myself if they are ear safe I'm good!

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Meh, sometimes the first shot is louder on my 9mm can. Touch of water prevents it. Doesn’t really bother me either way.

Never noticed it on my Omega whether using it direct thread or QD with a brake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    So, the first shot pop is usually due to air being in the suppressor on the first shot and assisting the gunpowder detonation.

A company recently introduced a product that sprays a little CO2 into the suppressor just before firing to eliminate the first shot pop.

After the first shot, follow up shots do not have the same amount of combustible air, since it is displaced temporarily by the burned gunpowder.

Mike_from_Texas

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    North Texas
    First shot is typically louder than subsequent shots assuming there is a multiple shot string of fire.

Don’t see where direct thread would be any difference than QD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Texasgrillchef

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2018
    Lewisville
    Now heres my question....

Obviously if you fire 2 or more rounds in quick succesion... You may ot may not have a first round pop effect and in general the rounds fired after the first round will get quieter.

However.... my question is...

How mich time does it take before your back to first round pop again?

Is it really that big a deal? Other then at a shooting range, are we ever firing in quick succesion? So in effect we will get first round pop everytime? Say firing one round every 10 min or so.

dermunkee

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 28, 2016
    Katy, TX
    As the silencer cools, the air in it contracts, bringing fresh air into it. Enough O2 gets in, and you'll get the pop all over again.

Top Bottom