• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lonestardiver

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Eagle Mountain Lake area
    I'll rely on the forum members to do the research and keep me and others accurately informed as I don't have a suppressor.

If you were in the DFW area I’d be willing to met you at the range and let you try the gm-22 and spectre II I have for comparison. You may be able to find someone local to your area that may let you see how it sounds. In the end you’ll likely find the hammer hitting the firing pin and the action cycling makes more noise than any first round pop.

CyberWolf

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2018
    US
    Just buy one of the suppressors they use in the movies. No first round pop, and quiet enough that a guy 10 feet away in the same room can't even hear the shot.

To be entirely fair, I've found that you can actually get pretty close to this with the right can/host/ammo (22lr), and even closer with a little water or wire pulling gel, if you don't mind the mess.

Have shot into a small bullet-stop in the garage without people in front yard hearing/recognizing (with door open), and same outside with people about 20yrds away behind small haystack who had no idea we were shooting before switching from paper to steel.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    If you were in the DFW area I’d be willing to met you at the range and let you try the gm-22 and spectre II I have for comparison. You may be able to find someone local to your area that may let you see how it sounds. In the end you’ll likely find the hammer hitting the firing pin and the action cycling makes more noise than any first round pop.
    If I ever get up that way, I'll take you up on that! Thanks!

dermunkee

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 28, 2016
    Katy, TX
    Damn, it's just a continuous problem! Must be something that could be done to fix this issue.
    It's not really an issue, you'd be hard pressed to actually tell a difference between the first and subsequent rounds without trying to notice it.

Joshua - Capitol Armory

Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2015
    FRP isn't really something to worry about, except if you need the first shot to be exceptionally quiet. (Meaning, a Sparrow on a pistol is going to have bad FRP, not what you want for say back-yard critter control.)

Describing it is like trying to explain the recoil difference between a Glock 19 and a 1911 to someone who has never shot a pistol. You can explain all day, but to really understand it, you have to experience it.

Big Green

In Christ Alone
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 5, 2018
    College Station
    Damn, it's just a continuous problem! Must be something that could be done to fix this issue.

Is it really FRP or is your ammo going supersonic? I have some ammo that is supposed to be sub but I don’t believe it is so it’s much louder than I was expecting with that ammo and my can.

CyberWolf

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2018
    US
    Is it really FRP or is your ammo going supersonic? I have some ammo that is supposed to be sub but I don’t believe it is so it’s much louder than I was expecting with that ammo and my can.
    Just my .02 based personal observation, but I've found huge variations in the 22lr subsonic ammo with regard to sound-levels, and agree that it's easy to mistake the sound of approaching transonic (while staying sub) for a FRP, especially if behind the gun as opposed to standing nearby. In particular, I've found the following regarding various 22lr ammo impact on sound (like-to-like, regardless of particular platform, bbl length, or can):

CCI Quiet - quietest "full" 22lr round (not counting colibri, etc.). Won't cycle in anything without heavy mods, but awesomely quiet in a supressed bolt gun, or if you don't mind cycling the action manually (can use "offhand" to hold the bolt closed and further drop the signature on a SA). Shoots pretty consistently, but a bit lower than other 22lr subs at short distances, with a steeper drop-off as range increases. No perceptible FRP in most cases.

Eley Subsonic (regular and hp) - quietest 22lr which will reliably cycle in a SA rifle/pistol; preferred option for any SA. a little louder than the CCI Quiets, but not by much. Always stay subsonic, and clean/consistent, but expensive. The "green" box seems just a bit quieter than the "black" box, but that could be just my imagination. No perceptible FRP in most cases.

CCI Subs/Segmented-subs - louder than CCI Quiets, cheaper than Eley, usually stay subsonic (but not always), relatively consistent (but alsp not always), and may or may not cycle the action. These are a good middle ground for general use, but not the best choice if you want as quiet as possible, or if you need reliability and want the bolt to cycle every time on a SA, staying as quiet as can be while doing it. FRP on some occasions.

Remington Gold Bullets - Cheap, usually stays subsonic out of short barrels (will go super or close to it in a rifle), and relatively clean/consistent. FRP on some occasions.

Everything else - hit-or-miss; inconsistent

Finally (don't recall if this was mentioned previously), both environmental conditions and specific terrain/structural features will also have a significant effect on sound signatures and FRP or lack thereof, but that's a post for another day.

Top Bottom