• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Quit dragging your ego into this and discuss facts. The fact is clear...much like a renewal, the course requires "some" time on the "core" elements, written test, and shooting test. If you bloviate and blather, that may take you twenty hours and leave a wake of sleeping students.
    Quite dragging your ego this and discuss the CONTEXT of this thread and my posts. And the law requires 10 hours, not "some time" or "core elements". It also maxes the course out at 15 hours.

The course should be zero hours as CHL is a right, not a "mother may I" game. The only folks who should be forced to take a test to carry a gun are cops, who (as statistics prove) shoot the wrong person...or miss entirely...far, far more than do non-cops...
    Now your attitude become clear. I read you.

Reducing the ten hour "Texans are stupid and need more training" requirement to four hours is a great step on the way to being Americans.
    As I have repeatedly written, I am fine in the reduction.

Telling stories about how we instructors are "required" to bloviate at length doesn't actually hold up as facts,though, and should not be put forth as such especially by people who should know.
    Telling stories about how instructors are stating they are required to bloviate at length really doesn't hold up to the facts. And should not be put forth as such especially by people who should have reading comprehension skills.
    Lynx Defense

seeker_two

My posts don't count....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    That place east of Waco....
    Can we go back to the OT, please?

I support the 4-hr. change. That should be enough to allow instructors to cover all the basics of TX CHL and SD law without having to make up a lot of filler material. In addition, it frees up half a day where they can offer basic and advanced courses that can benefit students and serve as a gateway for other classes the instructor offers (carbine, shotgun, advanced handgun, etc.).

Besides....whether the course is 10 hours or 4 hours, stupid people will do stupid things. If it was the TX Legislature's job to regulate stupid, they'd have to incarcerate themselves first....

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Can we go back to the OT, please?

I support the 4-hr. change. That should be enough to allow instructors to cover all the basics of TX CHL and SD law without having to make up a lot of filler material. In addition, it frees up half a day where they can offer basic and advanced courses that can benefit students and serve as a gateway for other classes the instructor offers (carbine, shotgun, advanced handgun, etc.).

Besides....whether the course is 10 hours or 4 hours, stupid people will do stupid things. If it was the TX Legislature's job to regulate stupid, they'd have to incarcerate themselves first....

If no shooting were not required those topics could be covere in 4 hours.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Key word "I"

That dog doesn't hunt, much less bark up the wrong tree ;)

Kids today...

Alex

Edit: in an effort to correct my rudeness

Alex, have you taken a class by TxI? If not, I don't think you're in a position to judge how he runs his classes. I have taken a class by TxI I will tell you again you are barking up the wrong tree.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Key word "I"

That dog doesn't hunt, much less bark up the wrong tree ;)

Kids today...

Alex

Well Alex, I am 51 years young, so thanks for the compliment. As an instructor who actually cares about his product, yes, the word I is used. I guess you don't feel the same about your work product. Sorry to learn that.

I tickled if the class is only 4 hours. That means a 6 hour day rather than the current 12 hour day for me.

The course will never get cut to 4 hours with the current topics remaining in the bill. It can't be done in 4. Rather than attact someone who actually has experience, why not use the effort to suggest what topics you think we could eliminate to get it down to 4 hours?

GlockOwner

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    Dallas (Oak Cliff)
    The course will never get cut to 4 hours with the current topics remaining in the bill. It can't be done in 4. Rather than attact someone who actually has experience, why not use the effort to suggest what topics you think we could eliminate to get it down to 4 hours?

I am in no way an expert, and this is more of a question to those with experience than anything else. How would you instructors feel about DPS providing a packet to all students that contain much of the information that is covered now. The class be reduced to 4 hours with the instructor hitting the major topics but relying on the students to be responsible adults and look over the packet for more detail in their own time.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    I am in no way an expert, and this is more of a question to those with experience than anything else. How would you instructors feel about DPS providing a packet to all students that contain much of the information that is covered now. The class be reduced to 4 hours with the instructor hitting the major topics but relying on the students to be responsible adults and look over the packet for more detail in their own time.

That could work. ;)

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!

They already do...

Texas Concealed Handgun Laws and Selected Statutes 2011-2012

Also, the bill has been introduced by freshman Republican Senator Donna Campbell of New Braunfels...

Texas concealed handgun classes could shorten | News - Home

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    They already do...

Texas Concealed Handgun Laws and Selected Statutes 2011-2012

Also, the bill has been introduced by freshman Republican Senator Donna Campbell of New Braunfels...

Texas concealed handgun classes could shorten | News - Home

The problem with that print out from DPS is it is just a packet of laws. It offers no explanation of those laws. If DPS is going to allow licensees to review on their own and test on it, they need to make it a guide rather than just a quote of the laws.

wakal

Just Some Guy
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Zephyr
    Well Alex, I am 51 years young, so thanks for the compliment. As an instructor who actually cares about his product, yes, the word I is used. I guess you don't feel the same about your work product. Sorry to learn that.

I tickled if the class is only 4 hours. That means a 6 hour day rather than the current 12 hour day for me.

Ah, kids say the dardest things. Kick your ego out the door and try to catch up with the adults...we as Americas have the right to carry a gun. Two hours, ten hours, twenty hours, all that is made up numbers just to keep the chickenshits happy. Personally, I think the program Texas CHL program is crap...and I DONATE around a thousand classes a year.

People who want the big bucks, well, greed makes them play a different game. Here today the game is "my class is better because I cover crap I don't have to, and want to cover more crap so I can charge more..." Pretty damn clear.

Ego is ego, facts are facts, and kids today...well, kids are kids.

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    Taking reality into account..it is reality that we are dealing with here....I would agree "we have the right to carry a gun" and until the Texas Legislature changes the laws about OC or CC, it is the reality we deal with.

It is a reality the course as it stands now is 10 hours...it may change, but the content requirements must change with it in order for that to happen. If and when the Texas Legislature changes it to 4 or 2 or nothing, I would support that, but as it stands right now at this moment, that is not a reality.

We can all express our opinions on length of course or if any course should be required at all, but none are more or less valid than another at this point,............. unless reality changes.....and I hope it does, but I am prepared for it if it doesn't.

jmho......

Top Bottom