• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bjfowle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    Arlington
    I was listening to the radio last night and the host was talking about a bill that was proposed in Texas that would reduce the required time of the chl class to 4 hours.
    What is everyone's opinion on this?

I don't see how all the information could actually be covered in that amount of time. It seems that it would greatly cut down on the amount of information given and would give much less time for people to ask questions.
    Target Sports

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    NRA and TSRA are helping to sponsor the Bill.....

I will watch this one from the sidelines...where's the popcorn?

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    Lengthen the time only to include more range time. Let the class cost a little more to go to the instructor for time, etc. but the state doesn't need to increase fees as it doesn't cost them any extra to process the license. Just my opinion.

Code3GT

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 12, 2008
    Austin
    Personally I like the class. I came from Indiana where its simply apply, get a CHL if approved, holster up. No class, no education, no nada. That's scary. I was a 21 yo idiot at one point and looking back, had NO business carrying a firearm as I didn't know the laws, how to look up the laws, what was off limits, when deadly force was justified, etc. My Texas CHL course really drove home the responsibility of carrying and how serious it is as well as providing a lot of answers I had questions to. I think if they want to shorten it, ok, but keep the fundamentals and information people NEED, not just what politicians THINK is needed.

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    Personally I like the class. I came from Indiana where its simply apply, get a CHL if approved, holster up. No class, no education, no nada. That's scary. I was a 21 yo idiot at one point and looking back, had NO business carrying a firearm as I didn't know the laws, how to look up the laws, what was off limits, when deadly force was justified, etc. My Texas CHL course really drove home the responsibility of carrying and how serious it is as well as providing a lot of answers I had questions to. I think if they want to shorten it, ok, but keep the fundamentals and information people NEED, not just what politicians THINK is needed.

Do you think government mandated classes impose on our right to carry firearms?

Texanjoker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    IMO people don't get enough training with a 8 hour class. The class should have a full day of hands on time at the range.

Code3GT

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 12, 2008
    Austin
    Do you think government mandated classes impose on our right to carry firearms?

That's tough, man. On one hand I don't believe in big government but on the other hand, knowledge is power. I hate to use the term "within reason" but i'd be inclined to agree with a mandated class if "we the people" got to write the curriculum and the government didn't get revenue or have power to expand the class.

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    That's tough, man. On one hand I don't believe in big government but on the other hand, knowledge is power. I hate to use the term "within reason" but i'd be inclined to agree with a mandated class if "we the people" got to write the curriculum and the government didn't get revenue or have power to expand the class.
    Ok, you are the people, here's your chance.

Being "within reason" What would YOU include in the class, how long would the classes be and how much would they cost?

Edit to add: How would you test the effectiveness of the class? A test for example, with X amount of questions? Would there be a practical side of that test where folks shoot at a target? If so what's the passing score?

Last edited:

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Ok, you are the people, here's your chance.

Being "within reason" What would YOU include in the class, how long would the classes be and how much would they cost?

Edit to add: How would you test the effectiveness of the class? A test for example, with X amount of questions? Would there be a practical side of that test where folks shoot at a target? If so what's the passing score?

Maybe the instructors should get more training or make the grading on the instructors tougher so that a higher score would be required. A few poor instructors can lower our respect for the group. I think most instructors do an admirable job but the few idiots we hear about make us suspect the system. That said, I think more emphasis (time?) is needed on the laws regarding carrying and .................. more time on the range with some kind of grading scale that gives the instructor the ability to hold someone back if they are unsafe and/or just not ready yet. I still feel the required accuracy part is pretty easy if a person has some experience but that should happen before they take the class. After this many years of licensing classes, one would think the state would have reviewed, upgraded, and improved the class. Just my opinion.

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Maybe the instructors should get more training or make the grading on the instructors tougher so that a higher score would be required. A few poor instructors can lower our respect for the group. I think most instructors do an admirable job but the few idiots we hear about make us suspect the system. That said, I think more emphasis (time?) is needed on the laws regarding carrying and .................. more time on the range with some kind of grading scale that gives the instructor the ability to hold someone back if they are unsafe and/or just not ready yet. I still feel the required accuracy part is pretty easy if a person has some experience but that should happen before they take the class. After this many years of licensing classes, one would think the state would have reviewed, upgraded, and improved the class. Just my opinion.
    How much time total for the class and how much of that time spent on each subject?

How much time and what type of demonstration on the range?

Personally I find any arbitrary class, fee and licensing a contraction to the intent of the 2nd amendment but I'm here willing to be convinced.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    It might have to depend on the level of the learners to take different lengths of class depending on their background. Until you can determine the knowledge level of the learner you have to design the class for the middle ground. For example, a person with several years of firearm experience from hunting or just shooting probably does OK or better on the shooting portion than those without much experience. You're gonna' be all over the map trying to determine how to teach laws with a class of low achievers, average achievers, and high achievers. The longer you have them the better you can tell what their needs are regarding internalizing the material. It would be impossible to come up with a competent answer without a great amount of research as to your student's level of competency. In public school you pretty much have a grasp of maturtity and capabilities of 13 year old or 17 year old students. You don't have that luxury with a sample of adults of all ages (21+) and levels of education. I'm not talking about stating opinions about 2A, rights, etc., I'm dicussing it only in an educational context. I lean toward taking it out of the hands of the government.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    First it has to be determined through law or the absence of law whether we should even be required to take a test, pay a fee, etc. If we are forced to take a class (as we are now) then it needs to be one designed to teach the majority of students and designed properly to do so. Otherwise..................................... we're just pissin' in the wind! :p

Code3GT

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 12, 2008
    Austin
    Sorry, had to get my Crossfit on. In a perfect world, I would include topics on local/state SD laws, what not to do, what to do in a SD shooting, situational awareness, how to conceal, safety. I would make all of this affordable for the citizen and all of the revenue would go to the instructors and local ranges, sporting clubs (3 gun, IDPA, etc), conservation and wildlife preservation. I would privatize the CHL process somehow as it would be better, faster, cheaper.

As for testing? To standardize it, a written test could be implemented, graded by the instructor. I don't think a shooting test should be required but strongly encouraged? Maybe some of the course fees could help offset the cost of a beginner handgun course?

Robb in Austin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2012
    Gtown
    After sitting through the class today...

I'd seriously change the class to include more range work to ensure true proficiency(stress the shooter somehow(run 15-40 yrds/yell in my face/something), dismiss the apparently mandated verbatim reading of the law, and offer more 'legal' talk about what happens after a shooting. The class as it is stresses the law enough I think but a more non-lawyer version/interpretation would be better.

I read something yesterday, maybe here, about how one can read the manual, take a written exam, take a 'practical test', and go get behind the wheel of a 3000-6000lb missile. 3015 deaths due to vehicles in 2011(http://ftp.dot.state.tx.us/pub/txdot-info/trf/crash_statistics/2011/comparison.pdf) vs 699(Gun Control: The Top 10 States With Firearm Related Murders | Politic365). So, which needs more 'training'?!

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    A concealed handgun license is nothing more than government registration. Photo and fingerprints. You become the next target for confiscation.

The right to bear arms shall not be infringed!

Why prey on the innocent when criminals run rampant?

A father should teach his sons and daughters how to safely operate a firearm. Are we so far lost in this debate that our Civilization is without hope?

I fear for the worst, since many of today's youths have no father.

Don't blame me for the criminal use of guns by mad men.

Prothos

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    I think the class needs to stay. What needs to be changed it better training for the instructors. Just had an instructor tell a friend that just took the class that it was illegal to carry in movie theaters in texas

Top Bottom