• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ed308

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    DFW
    But generally I keep it in the standard mode which was easily set up using the settings I pulled from the Internet (CNET maybe) and it is very realistic.

Check out AVS Forums for TV settings. Lots of great info on that Forum for electronics.
    Hurley's Gold

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Not to hijack this thread, but how did you get the burn in?...
    Not by gaming. It happened after the last software update. The aspect ratio setting got screwed up and 4:3 programming will not overscan to fill the screen. Worse, a lot of 16:9 content is, for lack of a better word, "wrapped" in a 4:3 black box. It displays with black bars at both the top and bottom. I've experimented extensively with the settings and can't find a solution.

There's something about my combination of cable connection, Tivo and TV that's the problem. If I'm running a DVD or Blu ray disc the auto scaling works fine.

The bottom line is that even on proper full screen content I now have 2 permanent bars on the right and left sides of the screen. It's frustrating.

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    Pulled trigger today at COSTCO on Samsung 75" at $1986 plus 2 year warranty add on additional 3 years for $89 bucks...they had sold 4 of the 7 they had in stock TODAY...

ed308

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    DFW
    I have a 50" Plasma which is dedicated to gaming. Been using it for that for almost 10 years and it has no burn in at all...

I have 4 plasma tvs. The oldest is 9 years old. None of mine have suffered from IR or burn in. IR and burn-in is funny. Some people with the same tv seem to have problems with where others don't. Tv settings aren't always a factor. I'm thinking it my be a slight variation in the voltage that can causes IR or burn-in.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I'm thinking it my be a slight variation in the voltage that can causes IR or burn-in.
    If voltage variations cause burn-in, then I was screwed from the beginning. In my subdivision, power is unreliable. All the lights dim frequently. Sometimes it's momentary. Sometimes it's just long enough to turn off the computers and TV. Sometimes it's 5 minutes. Sometimes longer.

I should be grateful, though, for all the development going on around here. It's improved the power quite a bit. When I first moved into this house, if the power didn't go out for at least an hour at least once a week, it was a miracle. I quickly learned to use a wind-up alarm clock in addition to my electric one.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Not sure, but I think were going samsung.

On voltage variations. PUC allows a minimum voltage of 117 volts to a maximum of 126.
    Everyone should own a multimeter.

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    Damn dude. That's huge.

I got a new tv from my buddy from St Louis. It was so cheap I felt like I was stealing.

Movie night in Cowboy's House will be nice!
    LOL we will see how it works out:

So the other day I am down in the living room sitting there playing SNIPER IV on my plasma we bought YEARS ago. The living room is 16x17 and tall ceiling. Also has a LARGE window looking out...then it dawns on me, WHY is this room NOT our Master bedroom????? So I go find wife and she agrees, better master, since we have not used the living room, ever. And the VIEW is great while the MsBdr has no view since its upstairs. We have big oaks trees and obscure the view upstairs, but downstairs we don't have that issue.

So headboard on wall looking at far wall is 16 feet, two windows and a 75" TV will fit exactly in between them. My guess is that far away and the 75 may not look as big as we think, which is why we did a 75...

Right now we are doing a home remodel, so won't be in the new master till later. Its a big remodel. How big? To go to bed at night: Wife and I CLIMB a tree to get on the roof of the house, cross over and get on another roof, walk across the deck on top the house, down a flight of stairs into the upstairs Master...downstairs is gutted and the stairs are blocked off to prevent dust from upstairs....

Vaquero

Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Samsung 58" will be here Saturday.
    LED smart TV.

Need to dig out my old bluetooth keyboard and mouse.

Vaquero

Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Who did you order from?

I'm going w 65 cuz that's the largest that will fit in my tv nook

Also have a pretty big living room

Walmart.
    We aren't really limited on size. Been using a 42 LG for about 8 years now.
    Gonna put it upstairs and use the new one in thevliving room.
    So a 1'+ jump in size should do fine for us.

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    Before you buy, go to a showroom and touch the screen with the back of your hand. Feel how much heat is coming off of it. In a room some TV's will act as an enormous heater. Plasma TV's are generally warmer than LED TV's. There is a big difference in radiated heat between similar TV's.

A Smart TV is best when new, but the the apps are never updated by the manufacturer and fall behind in usefullness. Some Samsung TV's now have something called a "one box" which allows you to update and replace the smart part of the TV without changing the set. It is also nice that the connections for everything external goes into it, and can be placed seperately from the TV. It keeps the cable clutter down.

My Samsung came with a IR transmitter thats sits in front of the cable box and allows you to change channels and such with the TV remote. The new 3D glasses are much better than last years for us folks that have to wear glasses.

Buying a dumb TV and a Smart Bluray player may be the best combo, since you can buy a new smarter Bluray player for a fraction of the cost of a new TV.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Noted. Still, I can't imagine buying an UPS for my computers that didn't include a comm port of some sort so that a power loss would trigger an orderly shutdown. Yeah, the servers I run 24/7 use a pretty robust file system (Funny, I had some problems with ZFS, but that's a story for another day.) and generally survive power outages without a problem but if I'm going to the trouble to buy an UPS, I sure want it to be able to talk to the computer it powers.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Noted. Still, I can't imagine buying an UPS for my computers that didn't include a comm port of some sort so that a power loss would trigger an orderly shutdown.
    I was thinking more for delivering clean electricity to sensitive electronics like your TV, but the BE550G on the same page has automated graceful shutdown for PCs. Only $12 more than the smallest one.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    (Funny, I had some problems with ZFS, but that's a story for another day.)

Curious to learn what problems you had with ZFS. I've got a FreeNAS box running as a test bed right now, but haven't had the time to really beat on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom