• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    I'm not real worried about brand. More about features.
    What is good to have?
    What is just fluff?

wifi installed. Is this useable or just another bell and whistle?

Any features you would recommend avoiding?

Thanks.
    Target Sports

Chirpy

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Hutto, TX (kinda)
    Wifi generally gets you NetFlix and YouTube without having to hook up a computer or Chromecast or anything. Some brands actually have applets that can be added later. Kinda nice.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Some brands actually have applets that can be added later. Kinda nice.
    Is there such a thing as a large, flatscreen TV being sold today that's completely dumb, i.e. utterly devoid of any computing power/applications/etc.?

Vaquero, are you a devoted Tivo (or other DVR) user? If so, then consider the wisdom of having redundant applications on both the DVR and the TV.

I find the situation a bit frustrating, actually. I watch all TV on a time-delay via my Tivo. However, the applications for some online services are just miserable through a Tivo; they always seem to be behind on developing their app interfaces. That's strange, since they still have the best DVR interface of anybody. I hate that the Netflix app on my TV is so much better than the one on my DVR.

With a DVR and a newer disc player feeding a newer TV, you can easily find services duplicated three times, once on each device. Figuring out what you like and teaching everybody in the house how to switch from source to source and from app to app can be maddeningly complex. Add to that the fact that my TV is wired into the home network and I can stream from my computer and, frankly, my sister has given up trying to learn all the options. She knows one way to bring up Netflix but finds getting Youtube on the TV such a hassle that she just picks up her tablet, instead.

Chirpy

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Hutto, TX (kinda)
    You can find "dumb" TVs, usually Insignias at BestBuy.

The confusion you describe is why my wife likes our new Sony, one remote takes her to Netflix.

D

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    I'm not real worried about brand. More about features.
    What is good to have?
    What is just fluff?

wifi installed. Is this useable or just another bell and whistle?

Any features you would recommend avoiding?

Will depend upon the broadband speeds in your area, but having purchased three smart, wifi equipped TV's in three years, would recommend going that route regardless.

There shouldn't be a significant price difference;

you can always ignore the smart features - unless you access them you won't even know they're there;

and the smart part definitely increases your viewing options with built-in apps like NetFlix.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Good info guys.
    Keep it coming.

ps:what user interface does a wifi tv use? Mouse? Keyboard? Pointer in remote?

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    My Sony is WiFi capable, has direct to apps for all the major streaming sites, has a great picture ... but the interface to access those features is via a remote that is as counterintutive as humanly possible to engineer.

Consequently, we never use it. A dumb monitor would suit me fine.

Chirpy

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Hutto, TX (kinda)
    Good info guys.
    Keep it coming.

As mentioned, usually pretty gad-awful remotes. The BestBuy house brand Insignia we have downstairs actually has a better interface than the big Sony we have upstairs, IMHO. Which is sad.

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs

The TV, or a third party remote.

Some brand TV's have better remotes. We have one TV remote that has a keyboard on the flip side, making it easier to type in searches/etc on smart TV apps.

There is always the option of using devices like Apple TV, Roku or Slingbox to make a non smart TV smart.

I have a Roku 3 at the lake house on a non-smart TV, and an Apple TV here at home on the two smart ones, which makes the smart feature of the TV redundant to a point.

You will still want WiFi, though.

These devises plug into an HDMI port, making cabling much easier with one HDMI cable for audio and HD video, so consider getting a TV with at least 4 HDMI ports.

An Roku or Apple TV box will run you about $100.

Of the two, I much prefer the Apple TV box interface, but some may say that is a personal problem.

ETA: if you use a Roku or Apple TV, both have apps for IOS and Android that work as remotes on smart phones and tablets that are much more user friendly for their devices.

Last edited:

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    I'm wanting to go projection in my media room. Anyone want an LG 60" 1080p plasma?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    Don't know much about the newer tv's but, I'm liking the idea of the wifi connection.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Anyone want an LG 60" 1080p plasma?
    No thanks. I have an LG plasma just slightly smaller. After a couple of years of use, the burn-in of the screen (the black bars on either side of 4:3 programming) are now permanently visible and it bugs the crap out of me.

As much as I appreciate the better picture of a plasma screen when the room is completely dark, I'll be going with a different technology my next time around.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    Screen finish makes a big difference depending on the room it goes in. I was thinking plasma when we got ours, but the entire wall behind the viewers is windows. Having that matte screen on an LCD makes it much better. We don't have wi-fi in ours, but it's hooked up to an Apple TV which works flawlessly - however, it means another remote, which is tiny.

Top Bottom