• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BRD@66

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2014
    Liberty Hill
    FWIW, when I moved from Waco to Austin in '79 @ age 33, I sold my bike 'cause I was afraid of big city traffic. I immediately regretted the decision.

kapache

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2016
    I think what I will do is test the waters first, next week ill go to the office drive up there check out things. Give it about a month before making a trip to the office on my motorcycle.

Last edited:

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    The FM roads are the reason I keep mine. Work and back where I live isn't bad, just too much trouble with all the crap I have to bring home with me.

Sent from my HAL 9000

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I have found riding a fast bike slow is boring, but riding a slow bike "fast" can be a lot of fun!
    Yep, that's the reason I've always liked topless under powered cars. You get that open air driving experience and you can push them to the limit without breaking the speed limit :laughing:
    Take the top and doors off and the Jeep is very good for that too.

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    I'm fortunate in that I live on the out-skirts of a small town and work at a plant that is in a rural setting.
    I just have to skate along the periphery of town and then its just wildlife I have to worry about.

I grew up with a bike and when my kids got a little older, I sold what I had and concentrated on family.

20 years later, I got back in the saddle ... bought a dual sport V-Strom.

VStrom1.jpg

I thought it was for me, but sold it. The bike just didn't fit.

I seriously considered the TX69s Valk. I have friends that have them and it's a rock solid bike.
    But I found a well farkled VTX 1800 for an unbelievable price.

VTX_01.jpg

It sat un-loved for a lot of years and its been a test of patience to get it back road-worthy.

The moral?

If motorcycle riding is a part of your DNA, selling it would be a huge mistake.

So what if you don't daily commute.
    An occasional day's ride to work makes sitting in a box a little more bearable.

And weekend trips with other riders makes the weeks pass by a little quicker.
    And then your company changes to four 10s and you have a 3-day weekend every weekend.

Nirvana ...

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    I'm fortunate in that I live on the out-skirts of a small town and work at a plant that is in a rural setting.
    I just have to skate along the periphery of town and then its just wildlife I have to worry about.

I grew up with a bike and when my kids got a little older, I sold what I had and concentrated on family.

20 years later, I got back in the saddle ... bought a dual sport V-Strom.

VStrom1.jpg

I thought it was for me, but sold it. The bike just didn't fit.

I seriously considered the TX69s Valk. I have friends that have them and it's a rock solid bike.
    But I found a well farkled VTX 1800 for an unbelievable price.

VTX_01.jpg

It sat un-loved for a lot of years and its been a test of patience to get it back road-worthy.

The moral?

If motorcycle riding is a part of your DNA, selling it would be a huge mistake.

So what if you don't daily commute.
    An occasional day's ride to work makes sitting in a box a little more bearable.

And weekend trips with other riders makes the weeks pass by a little quicker.
    And then your company changes to four 10s and you have a 3-day weekend every weekend.

Nirvana ...

Sweet! Yeah I looked at the HD twimkie bikes but they were all way too small and under powered. They are GORGEOUS bikes but damn those prices should buy a whole lot more. I bought my 99 new and proceeded to make changes when they became available. We all had a blast on them and at the time in the cruiser world we were riding like kings. The MOST amount of fun I have on it is guys in cars (mostly Mustangs) that think its a Hardley. Get to a light, blip the throttle a touch and the guy wants to go lol. Light goes green and bye bye. Just before I started to work more and ride less I had that bike just dipping into the 11's on the track as long as I caught second gear just right. She's a big girl and all of that fat just won't get down the road any quicker aspirated. There was a big following of guys that put blowers on their Valks and were pulling some ridiculous amounts of power (over 200hp+) out of that flat six. They were holding back spare differentials and driveshafts since they kept tearing up parts. Then there were the guys that went with NOS systems that were beating the VRods when they came out with the liquid cooled Porsche motors which were into the 11's.

I've made some life long friends that I still see quite a bit but we've all had to move because of the economy. I am off to Georgia to hook up with some riding buddies from way back here in a little while.

PecanRifleman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2015
    What part of nazifornia are you from? I'm originally from the northern half myself. Also, I'm a rider and I have to say the roads here are terrible, and since the whole metroplex is under construction all the drivers are constantly confused, very dangerous! Keep it to the backrouds for sure.

Sent from my Z812 using Tapatalk

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I rode bikes from my teens until about ten years ago. After riding in Europe it just wasn't the same in the States. I have lane split at triple digits in Belgium and never worried about cars, but simply riding seems to be a dangerous endeavor here. What finally put it all to an end was my purchasing another lifelong desire...a Jeep Wrangler. Found out I could have just as much fun in it and was less at risk. Plus, I could bring my family along for the fun. I still have two bikes in the garage, a 1991 Honda ST1100 and a 2005 CBR1000RR Repsol. Can't bring myself to sell them, but I think the chances of ever riding them is slim. Maybe the latter may become a track bike one day.

One day I might get another bike, but it will probably be a trail bike or something small. I have found riding a fast bike slow is boring, but riding a slow bike "fast" can be a lot of fun! Something in the 350-500cc range, but even then given the number of near-misses and close calls I've experienced riding in Texas, I'm most likely going to just stick with the Jeep...

Cheers! M2

Wouldn't have picked you as a bike guy for some reason, I had a 2005 CBR1000RR in my stable as well.

Gotta agree on your fast bike/slow bike comment.
    I just had a problem riding ANY bike slow, knew I would eventually kill myself.
    Sold all 3 bikes after my last wreck, lol.

cbigclarke

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    cypress
    Wouldn't have picked you as a bike guy for some reason, I had a 2005 CBR1000RR in my stable as well.

Gotta agree on your fast bike/slow bike comment.
    I just had a problem riding ANY bike slow, knew I would eventually kill myself.
    Sold all 3 bikes after my last wreck, lol.
    And your too old any way

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Bought my first MC at 17 and have owned 30 of them. I'm 69 years old, now. Before age 17, my friend, Mark rode me all over our side of Chicago on his Cushman scooter. My parents tried to keep me off of that Cushman but it never worked. I still have scars on my leg from the hot pipe of that scooter! In those days, I never held or even laid eyes on a helmet or a car seat belt.

Later, I got into hill climbing, motocross, Trials riding, desert riding and trail riding. There are pictures on my profile album.

Made two huge trips around the western US aboard a Honda GL1500 (6000 and 8000 miles). Trucked a Kawasaki to the east coast and rode through North & South Carolina with a blonde named Rita. That was great! I loved it all!

Nothing in my life has brought me more joy, adventure, pure pleasure or experience than riding a motorcycle! Even at age 69, I ride regularly. Long trips are out of the question....... gotta stop to pee too often.....snicker.

Sometimes, my allergies upset my balance so I stay off of the bike at those times. I still ride the Harley Sportster 1200 regularly and keep it in tip top condition.

I read every post in this thread and saw almost nothing positive from any member. Hell, yes, I ride. Hell yes, I love my "wind therapy." Hell, NO, I won't stop riding even if some day it means I can only ride the back roads. MC riding isn't about going from one place to another. It's all about the journey!

If you guys don't feel that way about your MC or about riding, you need to stay off of motorcycles! Some of you have already made that choice and that's fine. If you can't see the positive side of riding, then leave it alone!

Flash

Last edited:

Rattler60

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2014
    Is it worth it? HELL YES riding bikes is worth it! Just not doing it to get to and from work lol. I hear of some people that try to save money by doing it bc of gas prices but I do it just for fun. For a while there I was putting on 15k-20k miles per year on my bike plus working a full time job traveling the USA and parts of Canada. But the bike is for sale as I have gone on to other hobbies and just don't ride as much any more. Plus I want a newer bike :)

My ride:

valkyrie.jpg
    Valkyries rule!!! I call mine, my couch rocket.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

kapache

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2016
    Update. I went for a quick ride yesterday, and while traffic flow was not that bad. I can see why the need for Line splitting is not needed, traffic is always a constant go even when its crowded. I had to keep reminding myself to not line-split, I almost did it but lucky I remember where I was.

I might give it a try before consider selling my favorite girl.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Update. I went for a quick ride yesterday, and while traffic flow was not that bad. I can see why the need for Line splitting is not needed, traffic is always a constant go even when its crowded. I had to keep reminding myself to not line-split, I almost did it but lucky I remember where I was.

I might give it a try before consider selling my favorite girl.

A lot of Texas driver will hate you for lane splitting, some may show it in dangerous ways.

I ride and I still can't stand it and don't support it. Not knocking you or anything, just saying that among drivers it will often bring out some negative attitudes and given the unpredictability of people I wouldn't recommend doing it.

(Prepare for thread derailment for lane splitting debate, sorry)

Sent from my HAL 9000

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Bought my first MC at 17 and have owned 30 of them. I'm 69 years old, now. Before age 17, my friend, Mark rode me all over our side of Chicago on his Cushman scooter. My parents tried to keep me off of that Cushman but it never worked. I still have scars on my leg from the hot pipe of that scooter! In those days, I never held or even laid eyes on a helmet or a car seat belt.

Later, I got into hill climbing, motocross, Trials riding, desert riding and trail riding. There are pictures on my profile album.

Made two huge trips around the western US aboard a Honda GL1500 (6000 and 8000 miles). Trucked a Kawasaki to the east coast and rode through North & South Carolina with a blonde named Rita. That was great! I loved it all!

Nothing in my life has brought me more joy, adventure, pure pleasure or experience than riding a motorcycle! Even at age 69, I ride regularly. Long trips are out of the question....... gotta stop to pee too often.....snicker.

Sometimes, my allergies upset my balance so I stay off of the bike at those times. I still ride the Harley Sportster 1200 regularly and keep it in tip top condition.

I read every post in this thread and saw almost nothing positive from any member. Hell, yes, I ride. Hell yes, I love my "wind therapy." Hell, NO, I won't stop riding even if some day it means I can only ride the back roads. MC riding isn't about going from one place to another. It's all about the journey!

If you guys don't feel that way about your MC or about riding, you need to stay off of motorcycles! Some of you have already made that choice and that's fine. If you can't see the positive side of riding, then leave it alone!

Flash

I didn't see much in the way of negative comments towards riding, only towards commenting. Most seemed to support your opinion of riding for pleasure and told him to keep the bike for the weekends he can get away.

I don't think I was able to put 1k on my bike last year, maybe got out for 2 short rides and a couple trips in to town, still can't fathom the idea of selling it.

Well, maybe sell it with low miles when the kids are a little older and investing in something a little bigger for nice rides with the wife.

Sent from my HAL 9000

kapache

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2016
    A lot of Texas driver will hate you for lane splitting, some may show it in dangerous ways.

I ride and I still can't stand it and don't support it. Not knocking you or anything, just saying that among drivers it will often bring out some negative attitudes and given the unpredictability of people I wouldn't recommend doing it.

(Prepare for thread derailment for lane splitting debate, sorry)

Sent from my HAL 9000

Thanks for the advice. I will def be avoiding it as much as I can unless its an emergency.

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    Slabbed yesterday from Granbury to Ponder.
    Met about 60 other riders at Ranchhand's for a pie run.

One rider showed in a beautiful 76 Suzuki GT750 2 stroke triple.

25091EEB-FB3D-4F6E-9297-FEB08ACBF3F2_zpsycixsujn.jpg

Post-pie, meandered backroads through Boonville, Peaster, Lipan and then back to Granbury.
    Saw some beatiful country, met some great folks and logged almost 300 miles.

Think I may've founder another bike for the stable ... a well farkled V-Strom.

PecanRifleman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2015
    Slabbed yesterday from Granbury to Ponder.
    Met about 60 other riders at Ranchhand's for a pie run.

One rider showed in a beautiful 76 Suzuki GT750 2 stroke triple.

25091EEB-FB3D-4F6E-9297-FEB08ACBF3F2_zpsycixsujn.jpg

Post-pie, meandered backroads through Boonville, Peaster, Lipan and then back to Granbury.
    Saw some beatiful country, met some great folks and logged almost 300 miles.

Think I may've founder another bike for the stable ... a well farkled V-Strom.
    I'm from granbury as well

Sent from my Z812 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom