• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Governors20

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    Austin
    I still ride in Austin as well as my 19 year old son. I don't have a problem because I do everything I can to get around people. People drive in packs, so get away from the pack even if you have to hit 90MPH in the process. Most people drive their bike like their car, and just go with the flow which is why they get hit. If you get a fast bike and get away from everyone, you greatly increase your odds. Slow bumper to bumper traffic in the morning is even safer since you aren't going fast enough to get into any major trouble. I have never been pulled over on my bike. Even if I did, I gladly pay a fine instead of medical bills.
    DK Firearms

NinjaRyder0920

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2016
    Austin, TX
    Just be safe. I started riding in Austin/Round Rock/Cedar Park back in 2009. From 2010-2012 I rode daily in Dallas, through and around the downtown area and all along 75. Dallas drivers can be....chaotic, but that goes for many major cities. I will say that I never had so people merge into my lane and almost take me out as I did in Dallas. I have ridden in Austin, San Antonio, College Station and Dallas and did a-okay. I do wish they would legalize lane splitting, since I feel that would reduce bikes just sitting in traffic, but otherwise I've never had an issue riding here. Welcome to Texas!

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    I learned to ride in San Francisco, so as far as learning goes, that's as hardcore as you can demand of any biker. Compared to that, the traffic here is waaaaaaaay easier. My hometown of Fairfield (and Vacaville), CA seemed to actually be more pleasant than most cities here in Texas since it appeared to have a very high percentage of riders. People were just used to seeing and looking out for them a lot more than they are here.

Only way to know if it's worth it or not for sure is to get out there and do it, I'm afraid.

kapache

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2016
    This... since lane splitting is illegal and people will try to run your over for it, there is no benefit for riding a bike in traffic here. If you can avoid the traffic it is great, tho.

I agreed, in California the benefit of Line splitting was avoiding traffic congestion, and of course safety. However here, I doubt a person can ride for commute, unless its for weekend warriors.

I am 80% considering selling my baby, I sold one before moving here, now I am facing the reality that I might end up selling my main girl due to being unable to ride is as much.

kapache

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2016
    I learned to ride in San Francisco, so as far as learning goes, that's as hardcore as you can demand of any biker. Compared to that, the traffic here is waaaaaaaay easier. My hometown of Fairfield (and Vacaville), CA seemed to actually be more pleasant than most cities here in Texas since it appeared to have a very high percentage of riders. People were just used to seeing and looking out for them a lot more than they are here.

Only way to know if it's worth it or not for sure is to get out there and do it, I'm afraid.

LOL I am scare to tell you the truth, I am thinking it a lot before I get on my bike.

Dred

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    Houston, TX
    I ride daily. Folks try to kill me daily too. It is my job to make them fail in their attempts.

My biggest pet peeve is the 'sorry, I didn't see you' attitude folk have when I beat on their doors, fenders and windows after they make attempts on my life. Thankfully, the wind and the road are therapeutic and this is the feeling I associate with riding.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I am 80% considering selling my baby, I sold one before moving here, now I am facing the reality that I might end up selling my main girl due to being unable to ride is as much.
    I wouldn't sell it just because of that. You'll still enjoy riding it on weekends.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    I rode bikes from my teens until about ten years ago. After riding in Europe it just wasn't the same in the States. I have lane split at triple digits in Belgium and never worried about cars, but simply riding seems to be a dangerous endeavor here. What finally put it all to an end was my purchasing another lifelong desire...a Jeep Wrangler. Found out I could have just as much fun in it and was less at risk. Plus, I could bring my family along for the fun. I still have two bikes in the garage, a 1991 Honda ST1100 and a 2005 CBR1000RR Repsol. Can't bring myself to sell them, but I think the chances of ever riding them is slim. Maybe the latter may become a track bike one day.

One day I might get another bike, but it will probably be a trail bike or something small. I have found riding a fast bike slow is boring, but riding a slow bike "fast" can be a lot of fun! Something in the 350-500cc range, but even then given the number of near-misses and close calls I've experienced riding in Texas, I'm most likely going to just stick with the Jeep...

Cheers! M2

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    Is it worth it? HELL YES riding bikes is worth it! Just not doing it to get to and from work lol. I hear of some people that try to save money by doing it bc of gas prices but I do it just for fun. For a while there I was putting on 15k-20k miles per year on my bike plus working a full time job traveling the USA and parts of Canada. But the bike is for sale as I have gone on to other hobbies and just don't ride as much any more. Plus I want a newer bike :)

My ride:

valkyrie.jpg

Last edited:

lonestardiver

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Eagle Mountain Lake area
    Heck, everyday I get on the bike people try to kill me. Same thing when I am in my truck. But not as bad as when I am in my big red truck with lights and siren going...or working a scene on the side of or in the middle of the road. I have considered not riding many a time. In the end I need he road therapy aspect of it. It also makes me more aware for when I am in the big red truck.

SA_Steve

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 1, 2014
    San Antonio, Texas USA
    I enjoyed riding in small town TX 35 years ago.

What I cannot believe is all the bicyclists in San Antonio, especially on the two lane highways just outside the city limits. Would not write any life insurance on them.

Top Bottom