• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TexasTJ

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2023
    Fort Worth
    So far I've only got a dot on the M18 (Holosun H507k), I've been carrying it with a TLR7A and enjoy that. I also carry the G26 with a TLR6. I've got it for sale, but if it doesn't, I've been thinking about having it milled.

img_7597-jpeg.394268

Txhighlander

Truth against the world
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 25, 2021
    Atlanta Tx.
    I tried rds for awhile but took it off. Up close it didn't speed things up for me, or better accuracy in close. However at a distance it did help due to my eyesight. I might try again on my 92x with a better quality rds for longer distance work. But we will see.

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    never had one on my carry guns

red dots appeal to the “FPS” crowd. i’ve been shooting long before they came out as practical.

i’m of the K I S S opinion.
    A little red dot that is in the same focal plane as target, that keeps both eyes open and doesn't take focusing on three things at once sure seems a lot simpler to me...

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

rman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 7, 2015
    Ft. Worth
    I went back and forth for awhile but am finally getting used to red dots. I was shooting irons a lot more accurately.

Just got my G30 slide back from getting an optic cut. For a target/range toy, I still love irons. But for carry and defense, I’ve finally come around to finding the dot and getting onto center mass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mm54943

Not So Well Known...
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2020
    Fort Bend area
    I had one on my p365xl for a while but eventually removed it. It was fun for going to the range but I wasn’t a fan of having to keep the lens clean, plus I guess the way I saw it was for carry purposes if I had to use it and the battery went dead I didn’t want to be dependent on it.

Tcruse

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2011
    Corinth
    I'm also in the crowd that will never go back to only irons. Red dots have improved VASTLY in the last decade, Sage Dynamics has done some very thorough reviews on youtube on some of them as well, I think the Trijicon RMR he did 20k rounds and like 40 drop tests over a couple years I think? Anyway, get a quality optic, and you'll be good for a while, worth the investment.

it DOES take some getting used-to, however for me it was literally 10 rounds and I was good. maybe I got lucky though? I've always shot my pistols at distance just as a skill check, and 100 yards is always hard with irons because the front sight is twice as wide as an IPSC silhouette, but with a dot...changes everything. Think about your average walmart parking lot, easily 2-400 yards wide. If an active shooter breaks out, I want every advantage I can to make cleanest shot possible, at whatever reasonable distance offers itself.
    Yes, it is an added liability and another "thing" that "could" break. For me the benefit is worth the risk and extra maintenance, for some it might not be. No right answer, only what's right for you and your needs.
    Agree 100%. Now, I also finding "green dots" at only a slightly increased price and depending on your eyes, many find them to be better. I use a holster that covers the reflex sight to keep it protected. Have fond no down side to having optic on carry gun. (my case is Glock19x, Sig P365XL, Sig P320)

TexaSOT

Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2023
    Arlington, Tx
    Yea, I have tried a red dot a couple of times. Not for me. I prefer iron sights - but do like fiber optic sights for my aging eyes.
    I think this just goes to show that everybody likes different things. I like fibers as well for irons because when they pick up the light, it's kind of looks like a red dot. I also prefer the U notch rear sights, blank without dots. Less clutter for me. I grew up shooting stock glock sights with that horrendous white square outlining them. Never realized how bad they were until I started shooting other guns!

G O B

School of Hard Knocks and Sharp blows
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Hays Co.
    More crap hanging off is just more trouble. I like LazerGrrips. Smooth so nothing to get hung up. Lazer dot has been enough to de-escalate situations that would have been "uncomfortable".

Lonesome Dove

A man of vision but with no mission.
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas
    Not a fan of clutter be it a garage, workshop, shed, vehicle engine bay, off road vehicles that never venture far from pavement or most importantly firearms.

Top Bottom