• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TAZ

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Round Rock
    What’s the context. Removing cause dont like or something else.

I’m not going back to irons unless something dramatic happens to make red dots either obsolete or illegal. Too many advantages for my eyes and use cases.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wakosama

Collapse now - Avoid the rush
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2022
    Spring
    Never could afford a good one really. just something to get hung up on my clothes too. the laser on my LCP always went out of aim after a few shots and the switch kept getting pushed on in my pocket draining the battery, so I quit using it. belly gun anyway. so not good experiences with gadgets. just saying...

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    I have yet to mount a red dot on any pistol other then an AR pistol, or my machine pistol. They are both of a manufacturer that I trust. There are so many Chicom bullshit ones on the market that I often laugh about them, when someone asks my opinion.

kenboyles72

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2017
    Gladewater,TX
    I had a RDS on my EDC for like a week, then took it off, just felt it was more in the way than doing any good. At self defense distances, I can get shots more accurately and faster on target with regular sights than I can with a dot. Now if you were taking far shots and needed more accuracy, then a RDS would work good.

I have presbyopia, just old aging eyes and have a hard time seeing my sights, so I tried a RDS. While I could see the dot a lot better, I got to noticing that I could shoot faster and still get all my shots in the A zone with regular sights. I just had to re-learn or find the optimal alignment without over aiming. There is a youtube vid by Wilson Combat that goes over this.

Found it:

Lonesome Dove

A man of vision but with no mission.
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas
    I have a brand new one just sitting on my bench. I'm gonna try it but I doubt it will stay on the gun I bought it for.
    Never been a fan of clutter anywhere but especially on a firearm. No lights No magnifier No levels. A scope on a rifle or a hunting pistol is fine and I have both. That's just me I like simple and plain.

10-96inTexas

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2022
    Cooterville
    I'm thinking about removing mine on my most carried pistol. Had a Sig Romeo on my P365. Picked it up a couple of days ago and the RDS was dead. Switched it out for a Holosun I've been wanting to try but now my confidence in the platform is wavering. I want my pistol to be ready to go and worrying about batteries in a RDS is not in my game plan. I agree with an earlier post. Simple is better and I'll probably be ditching my RDS.

jimbo

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    north richland hills, texas
    When I bought my Sig P365X, it had a Romeo Zero red dot on it. I took it to the range several times and my shots hit within a 10 inch group. But it took too much effort to get it fixed on target so I took it off and my 365X can shoot a 3 inch group with ease using the standard white dot sights. The 365 has become one of my best carry guns. Even with my old eyes I can shoot better and get on target faster with regular sights...and I love the fiber optic front sight. This is just my preference.

Sasquatch

30 Super Carry Post Whore 2K Champ
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    My current EDC doesn't have a dot - but that's because its not an optic ready gun and I haven't had it milled yet. Probably either get an optic ready slide for it, or get it milled eventually. Its the first time in a couple years I havent' had a dot on my carry gun - BUT I do have a dot on my duty gun and you couldn't pay me to go back to irons on it. Faster and more accurate, period.

Dots take an adjustment period - for some its a bit longer than others - but its superior to irons in *almost* every way. I'm faster up close, I'm faster at distance, and I'm more accurate at both with the dot vs without. Target focus beats front sight focus.

I am going to be putting up one of my dots for sale though, and putting the cash toward the ACSS version of my duty gun's dot.

Txdweeb

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2022
    Temple, Tx
    I had one for a while on a 43x it was great for grouping pratice but I just couldn’t get into it for edc. The rds always seemed to be poking tme and lens was always dirty I hated cleaning it daily.

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    A RDS is faster and more precise than irons.

A quality optic like a Trijicon or Aimpoint, I saw a lot of Holosuns go down for moisture ingress a few weeks ago at a match that included a submersion/swim.

Budget optics were struggling on rifles too, PA, Trijicon, EOtech and high end Vortex did great, but clones and the cheaper Vortex had problems.

Get a RDS for your pistol and train with it. They take a little time to learn, but its so much faster and precise there is no way I'd choose to not use one for anything but "fun"

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

studenygreg

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2015
    I like red dots. I only have one pistol with a red dot, a 22/45. The only reason I don't have them on my carry pistols is because I rotate too many. I can't afford to have them all milled and get RDs. Well I could but it would hurt.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

TexaSOT

Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2023
    Arlington, Tx
    I'm also in the crowd that will never go back to only irons. Red dots have improved VASTLY in the last decade, Sage Dynamics has done some very thorough reviews on youtube on some of them as well, I think the Trijicon RMR he did 20k rounds and like 40 drop tests over a couple years I think? Anyway, get a quality optic, and you'll be good for a while, worth the investment.

it DOES take some getting used-to, however for me it was literally 10 rounds and I was good. maybe I got lucky though? I've always shot my pistols at distance just as a skill check, and 100 yards is always hard with irons because the front sight is twice as wide as an IPSC silhouette, but with a dot...changes everything. Think about your average walmart parking lot, easily 2-400 yards wide. If an active shooter breaks out, I want every advantage I can to make cleanest shot possible, at whatever reasonable distance offers itself.
    Yes, it is an added liability and another "thing" that "could" break. For me the benefit is worth the risk and extra maintenance, for some it might not be. No right answer, only what's right for you and your needs.

A1Oni

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2021
    Tejas
    I have a dot on my carry gun, no im not removing it.

P01 on range table with holosun eps.jpg

Top Bottom