• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheRedGoat

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2009
    canton
    My android updated its operating system to lollipop (that's another story..grrr).

Now there is a system/software conflict with the FPV camera stream. Camera still works, but, at odd intervals the camera feed is dumped by the phone. This means you need to clear the phone's memory and the stream returns.

Not a Syma issue, but Google/Android it seems.

I've gotten better with the Syma, and in dead-calm it takes pretty decent video. But, even though the phone recognizes it as video, when you try to upload/send something craps the bed and it fails to upload to photobucket or Facebook Messenger.

TRG

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Got the new Apprentice up yesterday and the water rudder works right. Both float kits said *install 2 bands on the cross strut*. The bands look like the clevis keepers on the drawing but neither kit included them. :( The bands keep the rudder connecting rod from flexing so on the 1st set I used tie wire but apparently I twisted it too tight binding the rod inside the sheath. Yesterday I used 2 loops of hinge tape instead which made all the difference in the world on control. :)

So, a new plane and maiden flight off of water with a guy that Murphy loves to haunt, what could go wrong? Nothing during the 1st battery :)

I'm not good at keeping track of flight time but 1st voltage check usually shows between 40 & 60%. I honestly have no idea how long I flew with the 2nd battery and suddenly things just didn't seem right. Full throttle, nose up yielded just a bob of the nose. 2nd attempt same thing. FORTUNATELY I was only a few hundred yards out with good elevation and landed with it coming to a rest 20' away. Jacking with the Tx, the control surfaces moved but the motor would only pump for a split second. I let it set for 1/2 a minute and try again, same results. Only difference now is with the waves bouncing off the bulk head, the plane has moved 40+ feet out. No option other than empty my pockets, rip the shirt off this less than chiseled body and dive in.

The battery was at 1% and 1 of 2 I bought Friday so I marked it with hinge tape. It just came off the charger showing 98% @ 4.17 V. I'll pay close attention next usage.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I highly recommend a "smart" Tx to avoid those situations.

Timers on the remote are awesome.

I have the apprentice set at 10 minutes and counts down above 25% throttle. I usually get about 18 minutes of total flight time from it and have ~40% battery left if flying lazily.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Or a cheaper option, maybe pick up a cheap kitchen timer and set for 18 minutes or so. Start it when you take off and know it's time to come back when you hear the ding.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Almost crashed the non safe apprentice. Not sure what happened, about 250 yards out the nose turned down and it started spinning. Didn't want to recover so I hit the throttle cut and kept fighting it. Went from about 200 feet up and I got it to level off at about 50'.

I was dealing with some cow issues so I probably did something to cause it. The receiver doesn't have any helpful tendencies. No AS3X, etc so you really gotta watch it constantly. .

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Well, I'm getting the Sport Cub S for my daughter. Gonna teach her to fly it with the trainer settings on my DX6.

Should be fun times, she's excited about it for now. We'll see how it goes with a 6 y/o attention span.

Top Bottom